+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polygenitus

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Polygenitus

I have an idea for a deck that I have been rolling around in my head for the last couple of weeks and I finally started putting it down on paper today and would love some initial feedback.

The idea of the deck is fairly straight forward... get out token creatures and polymorph one into Progenitus. The rest is just tokens to soak up attacks and control to buy time.

Token Generators
    4 Dragon Fodder - Early chump blockers or combo tokens
    4 Goblin Assault - Consistent token creation
    4 Rite of Replication - Mid-game token creation, legendary killer, deals with a singular threat by making it's match, late game can be a game breaker.
    3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant - mid-game token creator and is a nice lightning rod for damage instead of me.

Combo
    4 Polymorph - primary combo piece
    2 Progenitus - only creature but nearly unstoppable once on the board

Control
    4 Cancel - It's a poor counter in the grand scheme of things but it's what we have.
    4 Double Negative - helps against jund and anyone else running cascade.
    4 Path to Exile - Obvious creature removal

Draw
    3 Jace Beleren - the decks only extra draw engine.

Land
    2 Mountain
    6 Plains
    8 Island
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard
    4 Celestial Purge - useful against several of the top decks in the meta
    4 Oblivion Ring - more board control, helpful against planeswalkers and mill decks
    4 Day of Judgement - in case they are playing pure speed aggro and I need to sweep the board before I combo out.
    3 Iona, Shield of Emeria - Will come in instead of Progenitus for mono color decks especially white and black (day of judgement stopping and gatekeeper stopping.)

I think it will be fast enough to deal with the speed decks but has enough control to wait out other control decks will the combo can be backed up with a counter. My biggest concern is my lack of card draw to make sure I get to polymorph. I'm wide open to thoughts on this one as I haven't even done a mock-up yet to start testing.
    Last edited by Twanos; 12-29-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Default Re: Polygenitus

Ok so day 1 of testing is complete and I have made a ton of changes so here goes... Firstly the name of the deck has to change from Polygenitus to PolyOna

Token & Combo: 12
    4 Dragon Fodder
    4 Goblin Assault
    4 Polymorph

Control: 16
    4 Negate
    4 Oblivion Ring
    4 Day of Judgement
    4 Path to Exile

Draw: 8
    4 Ponder
    4 Jace Beleren

Creatures: 2
    2 Iona, Shield of Emeria

Land: 22
    3 Mountain
    4 Plains
    3 Island
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Glacial Fortress

Sideboard
    4 Double Negative
    4 Celestial Purge
    4 Spreading Seas
    3 Swerve

so that means I took out
    3 Elspeth - too slow for what I needed
    4 Rite - was too situational, there were very few times when this was better than day of judgement would have been.
    2 Progenitus - while awesome there were time when I was in trouble with low life and Prog just couldn't win cause they were able to burn me out in the remaining 2 turns where Iona would have been a turn slower on the kill I would have been guaranteed the win since they couldn't cast.
    4 Cancel - With all of the hate now in the main path, day, ring I should never have to be countering a creature anyway and negate is a turn faster and drops the UU issue.
    4 double neg<-->O-ring switch SB and MD as Double is great but not as great as ring in alot of situations.

Overall the day 1 testing went well and I learned alot on how to actually play the deck out. I think these modifications will definitely help for the next round. As before I would love to get some feedback from anyone else on their thoughts.

PS this deck utterly destroys Jund. I went 14-2 vs jund most times game 1 was a turn 4-5 poly and they were dead cause they didn't expect it and had been foolishly using their burn on tokens. Game 2 I had so much hate in they just couldn't keep up and I sided out prog to get iona which I was able to hard cast since they saved the burn to nuke the poly target.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Okay I looked at the cards and how did you even get to cast Progenitus cause you have no black mana source or green mana source the second deck looks like alot of fun to play with

Okay I'm editing this because I'm a noob and didn't realize you are Polying yourself to get it out, +1 Twanos and -1 Kappu for being a complete idiot.....

Not to mention the speed read on your initial post and just going straight to reading the cards.

Gah I feel like an ass now

lol no worries the deck is a little tricky at first

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I don't know if you know this but I have been seeking a more control style deck Twanos since I have only been running Boros I wanted to move into somewhat of a more fun deck or at least something different than a beats deck, I had most of the cards for the deck you posted here and I hope you don't mind that I built it and will be playing it next week at my local meta.

I will share what happens with you and if you have any advice I would much appriciate it.

the big thing I am seeing is that swerve may have to go in main deck because of all of the creature hate that is out there these days. Also unless they are tapped out or playing mono green don't plan to cast poly without a counter or swerve in games 2-3. Game 1 is almost an auto win because noone expects it but in games 2-3 they will hold a hate spell just to nuke you poly target.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Do you think that it's worth buying Jace Twanos with M10 rotating out and they have the new Jace won't the old one be short lived? Then again I guess alot of the cards will be moving out soon. I guess the real question is when is M10 gone July I think O.o

What are your thoughts on it?

I think they said it will be late Aug or early Sept but they haven't put out a formal date that I know of. Either way the new Jace will replace the old one in the deck once he comes out.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Ya just hoping they reprint Poly in the new coreset :P

I'll just get him he is still a good planeswalker to have regardless.