+ Reply to Thread
    Ditto is offline Uncommon

Default Archmage Ascension and Read the Runes draw cards magic sacrifice permanents

if I control a Archmage Ascension with 6 quest counters on it

I cast Read the Runes for five, searching for five cards and putting them into my hand

do I need to sac 5 permanents or discard 5 cards?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Archmage Ascension and Read the Runes draw cards magic sacrifice permanents

No. Read the Runes says "for each card drawn this way" - since no cards were drawn, nothing needs to be sacrificed or discarded.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Ditto is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Archmage Ascension and Read the Runes draw cards magic sacrifice permanents

what if instead of the archmage ascension I had a Thought Reflection out

lets say I cast Read the Runes with X=1

Do I have to sac:

zero permanents (since the thought reflection is replacing the effect from read the runes so I am not drawing any cards from read the runes)

one permanent (since I am drawing one card from read the runes and one card from thought reflection)

two permanents (since both cards are considered from read the runes)

?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Two. Thought Reflection causes Read the Runes to draw you extra cards, so in essence, Read the Runes is drawing you two cards.
    Fluttershy is best pony.