+ Reply to Thread
    eastwickidwhiz is offline Very Common

Default Why are the cards Skullclamp and Disciple of the Vault banned?

I had just started playing magic during Alara Reborn so I have technically new at this so not to feel so much like a noob I started to some research on cards before my time for a lot of the cards i can see how they are broken during game play (I also know through playing people at comic book shops and magic workstation) like black lotus and Aether Vial and even sensei's divining top however this combo I am kind of not seeing it so if you have any info please let me know thanx

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Why are the cards Skullclamp and Disciple of the Vault banned?

ok skull clam actualy is a no-brainer but may be your trying to hard to see some combo going on ... its draw 2 for 1 mana, over and over again ... seriously ancestral recal turned in its vintagey grave ....

as for the diciple affinity was ruleing type two back then worse than jund is right now. with almost everything (including lands) in your deck being artifacts this guy + a ravager usually ment game turn 3 ... even without ever hitting your opponent befor on turn three you would have 3 artifact lands a ravager and a dicpile + X artifacts where x depended on the number of thoughtcast, frogmight etc. you drew hence you could easiely swing for 10 with the ravanger causing 9 lifeloss with the diciple then sac the ravager for game ... now that almost never happend because turn 3 that first turn frogmite will have dealt 4 damage on its own ... the whole deck was kind of broken at the time ... block constructed the baned list looked like this:

AEther Vial
    Ancient Den
    Arcbound Ravager
    Darksteel Citadel
    Disciple of the Vault
    Great Furnace
    Seat of the Synod
    Tree of Tales
    Vault of Whispers
    Skullclamp

all of these were in the affinty deck as long as they were legal for play with the exception of tree of tails and ancient den wich were only in some builds ^^

so basicly they did not ban the diciple they banned affinity.

Lakepirate is offline Planeswalker

Default Re: Why are the cards Skullclamp and Disciple of the Vault banned?

Ahhhh.... Good times...

And we return to Mirrodin this fall! Woot! probably won't have as many combotastic/turn 3 wins... But should be fun. Esp. since they figured out that they could do colored artifacts, and it would be ok...

Too bad Tezzeret died... would have loved to see him show up on Mirrodin.

I wonder if Slobad is still alive...