+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot Birds

Station80 is offline Very Common

Default Hot Birds

Anyone have more info on the Hot Birds Die-cast planes? Are they related to Hot Wheels?

RSJ
    RSJ is offline Common

Hot Birds Diecast Planes

Or I'll try to post a link: Hot Birds Diecast Planes

Hopefully your answers are there!

Zak
    Zak is offline Old School Gamer

Thanks for the link, very useful site.

I've seen those and thinking of trying to collect some myself. I have a few Hot-Wheels but am thinking of trying to get some Hot-Birds because they look pretty cool.

Yeah nice site, thanks. I might try to get into Hot Birds too (I'm mostly a Matchbox collector)

They seem pretty rare though I checked Ebay and don't see any Hot Birds there and I only see one of them up and its for $180:

1970 Hot Wheels Hot Birds REGAL EAGLE MIB - eBay (item 120368110580 end time Feb-22-09 15:39:31 PST)

octo is offline Uncommon

Interesting, just yesterday I ran across this Hot Birds Set auction on Ebay (I've also posted this link in the Grand Bazaar)

RARE Hot wheels Hot Birds complete set and case 1971 - eBay (item 380100918603 end time Feb-08-09 19:30:00 PST)

its currently at $100

flashfire is offline Common

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    Interesting, just yesterday I ran across this Hot Birds Set auction on Ebay (I've also posted this link in the Grand Bazaar)

RARE Hot wheels Hot Birds complete set and case 1971 - eBay (item 380100918603 end time Feb-08-09 19:30:00 PST)

its currently at $100
    That's a nice set

zoned is offline Uncommon

Why aren't they produced anymore?

Zak

Quote Originally Posted by RSJ View Post
    Hot Birds Diecast Planes

Or I'll try to post a link: Hot Birds Diecast Planes

Hopefully your answers are there!
    Welcome to the forums, btw. About links, if you just paste the site's URL, it will usually automatically get information from that site and convert it into a link (took me a while to get used to that too )

Zak

Quote Originally Posted by zoned View Post
    Why aren't they produced anymore?
    If you had gone to that link you'd have seen the answer:

Hot Birds were not as popular and were discontinued after only one year.
    Source: Background

I did read it. Sorry, I meant to ask: How come they weren't as popular as the Hot Wheels?

I did read it. Sorry, I meant to ask: How come they weren't as popular as the Hot Wheels?
    Because nobody bought them

Quote Originally Posted by flashfire View Post
    Because nobody bought them
    Obviously, that's the definition of not being popular

But I mean why didn't people buy them? They look pretty cool, plus there weren't that many other die cast planes to compete with them. And they were backed by Mattel. So how come these Hot Birds failed to take off?

So how come these Hot Birds failed to take off?
    That pun was not intended by the way

RSJ
    RSJ is offline Common

I think there are a couple of reasons as to why they didn't "take off". I'm sure they cost more because of the material used. They are very heavy and much larger than your typical little toy car. They also weren't as easy to play with. The cars you could play just about anywhere. The planes were limited. But, if you get a chance to find a few of these, do it. They are great! The paint is beautiful. I remember a neighbor had a couple and we'd set them up in his garage. The had fishing string that was your guide. If memory serves, the string was rough so it produced a slight whining sound.
    But like I said earlier, limited play with these. Send them down, go back, and send them down again...very limited, especially for kids with ADD...

***half hour pause***

OK, I just went upstairs to my toy room and found a set I had purchased a couple years back. An opened, unused Sky Solo Set. Confirmed the theory of the nylon guide string. It's braided to create the noise when you send the plane down the runway! I hadn't really looked at this set when I bought it, but it was nice to confirm what I remembered. Check the pics, an unopened sticker sheet and accessories. Everything unused, but the box had been opened. I'm so very tempted to set it up and listen to the music!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post

its currently at $100

That one ended up selling for like $102

Quote Originally Posted by RSJ View Post
    I think there are a couple of reasons as to why they didn't "take off". I'm sure they cost more because of the material used. They are very heavy and much larger than your typical little toy car. They also weren't as easy to play with. The cars you could play just about anywhere. The planes were limited. But, if you get a chance to find a few of these, do it. They are great! The paint is beautiful. I remember a neighbor had a couple and we'd set them up in his garage. The had fishing string that was your guide. If memory serves, the string was rough so it produced a slight whining sound.
    But like I said earlier, limited play with these. Send them down, go back, and send them down again...very limited, especially for kids with ADD...

***half hour pause***

OK, I just went upstairs to my toy room and found a set I had purchased a couple years back. An opened, unused Sky Solo Set. Confirmed the theory of the nylon guide string. It's braided to create the noise when you send the plane down the runway! I hadn't really looked at this set when I bought it, but it was nice to confirm what I remembered. Check the pics, an unopened sticker sheet and accessories. Everything unused, but the box had been opened. I'm so very tempted to set it up and listen to the music!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    That definetly sounds like lots of fun, I'll have to remember to keep an eye open for these next time I am at the flea market, though don't think I've ever seen it

Chopper is offline Common

Did it have Helicopters as well or only planes?

Clap is offline Common

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Did it have Helicopters as well or only planes?
    I looked around in that Hot Birds site and there's no mention of any Hot Birds Helicopters... I would guess there are only Planes.