+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Twanos
  • 2 Post By Twanos

Thread: Growing Grave (UG Dredge)

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Growing Grave (UG Dredge)

Here is the deck I am putting together. I am at the earliest stages of testing so I am wide open to any and all advice.

4 Armored Skaab
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Boneyard Wurm
    2 Deranged Assistant
    2 Jace's Archivist
    2 Kessig Cagebreakers
    3 Mindshrieker
    1 Mirror-Mad Phantasm
    4 Splinterfright

Creatures [26]

4 Forbidden Alchemy
    4 Memory's Journey
    4 Mulch
    2 Shriekhorn

Spells [14]

8 Forest
    4 Hinterland Harbor
    8 Island

Aspirations is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Growing Grave (UG Dredge)

I'm not a big fan of these decks yet. There's too much self-mill that doesn't let you control what you're tossing away. Something as simple as a Nihil Spellbomb could wreck you, and you have no control against it. That having been said... I'd probably replace Shriekhorn with Cellar Door

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Re: Growing Grave (UG Dredge)

Ok after about 75 matches here are the changes I made which have greatly improved the deck all around.

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Splinterfright
    4 Boneyard Wurm
    4 Deranged Assistant
    2 Mindshrieker
    2 Kessig Cagebreakers
    2 Jace's Archivist

22 Creatures

4 Forbidden Alchemy
    4 Rampant Growth
    1 Memory's Journey
    2 Dream Twist
    3 Back from the Brink
    2 Jace, Memory Adept
    2 Bonehoard

18 Spells

4 Hinterland Harbor
    8 Forest
    8 Island

20 Lands

The biggest problem I was having was I was filling my grave quite well but I was struggling to get the right creatures into my hand to cast to make use of it.

Back from the Brink fixes that problem by basically turning all my mill into a library full of creatures I can still get into play. I'll admit that I was resistant to this at first as it runs int contrast to the deck "I don't want to take a creature from the grave, I want to get creatures in the grave?!?" but with the addition of Jace getting creatures to the grave has been the least of my worries.

the bonehoards were another selection I was slow to make as they arn't a creature and I need more creatures not less. but the ability to double down on a Splinter and/or make a Mindshrieker huge has paid off game after game.

The other major change was to take out the 4 mulch and replace them with Rampant Growth. With Brink and Jace now forming a far more crucial part of the deck that extra ramp was far more beneficial than the extra mill there is already a ton of.