+ Reply to Thread

Default Quillspike-Devoted Druid Combo

This combo is pretty cool.

Devoted Druid 1G

elf druid

tap add g to your mana pool

put a -1/-1 counter on devoted druid untap it.

0/2

Quillspike 2 b/g

Beast

b/g remove a -1/-1 counter from target creature you control, quillspike gets +3/+3 until end of turn

1/1

First tap the devoted druid to add 1 g to your mana pool, than put a -1/-1 counter on the devoted druid to untap it. Than use that green you produced from the devoted druid to activate the quillspike's ability and giving it +3/+3 until end of turn by removing the -1/-1 counter from the devoted druid. Repeat as you like.

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Quillspike-Devoted Druid Combo

the combo was tried in tournaments but was not very successful there. it is however a nice combo for casual that many casual players might not have stumble accross.

whilst not a real combo the quillspike also works well with things like kitchen finks. since you can play tehm for 1GG they make a good addition to a quillspike deck gaining you life and being almost unkillable to block whatever comes your way until you can combo with the spike.

there are two problemt the spike always faces:

1. how do i get past blockers

and

2. what do i do against removal

green can overcome the first problem with ease using cards such as Rancor

the second is a bit trickier but even green has some options here. Avoid Fate is one i particularly like since people dont expect mono-green deck to counter

Quote Originally Posted by seba1983 View Post
    the combo was tried in tournaments but was not very successful there. it is however a nice combo for casual that many casual players might not have stumble accross.

whilst not a real combo the quillspike also works well with things like kitchen finks. since you can play tehm for 1GG they make a good addition to a quillspike deck gaining you life and being almost unkillable to block whatever comes your way until you can combo with the spike.

there are two problemt the spike always faces:

1. how do i get past blockers

and

2. what do i do against removal

green can overcome the first problem with ease using cards such as Rancor

the second is a bit trickier but even green has some options here. Avoid Fate is one i particularly like since people dont expect mono-green deck to counter
    whispersilk cloak works really well making it unblockable and shroud. soul fire, feed it to doomgape, etc are also good to use with this combo. This combo is very easy to stop, but easy to get out too. Yes, i like avoid fate also.

seba1983 Guest

true the cloak is very nice for the spike. the others work too but for my personal likeing the doomgape is too slow. souls fire, fling, rite of consuption would all work but i like the idear of a mono green combo deck. also you can only kill one player with that. arround here casual is almost always multiplayer so the cloak wins here.

the fact that the combo is easy to foil was the reason it did not preform well as a tournament deck. in casual i dont see that as a problem since the goal is not to win every game but to have a good time.