+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BerzerkiratA

Thread: Oldtime Gamer and Newcomer to the group...

BerzerkiratA is offline Very Common

Phone Oldtime Gamer and Newcomer to the group...

Just joined the group and wanted to say hi to all. Been collecting games since the early 80's for Atari, NES, and more. I've since sold some of my collections, but still have quite a few more. Here's a brief history of my travels (believe me, it is - brief, that is - hopefully, you will find it interesting) ...

The Video game crash of '82-'83 allowed many Gamers to amass a ton of games for the earlier systems such as the Atari 2600/5200. I started with one game, then two, then before you know it, I had 100's of games and then I was hooked. After the crash, I moved to the 800XL Computer system and then over to the ST's. Never did get over to the Falcon, though (nope, never touched the C64 or the Apple back then). Then there's the Atari 7800 - Atari's last hope and answer to the NES system, but alas, it was short-lived.

Later in the late 80's through the mid-nineties, I was regular on the Usenet group "rec.games.video. ..." and befriended many in that group, bought and traded lots of Games with many of them, as well as posting a half-dozen or so Usenet Auctions and attending the Northeast Gaming conferences most every year up to the early 90's during those years.

During my Usenet days, I was one of many that helped to start a club for creating New Atari 2600 Labels. The Club's name was (and still is) the "Atari Fancy Label <sic> Club #1". The Label I created was for Berzerk (thus my screen name "BerzerkiratA" - Berzerk and Atari spelled backward), which I am using as my Avatar for this group. Since then there have been two more <sic> Clubs (#2 and #3), with another one starting up soon (if my memory serves me right). Those were great times in the Usenet groups, back then. Now, you have to pay to be on the Usenet and it's mostly only xxx stuff now.

From the late 90's until just a few years ago, eBay was my main source for getting more games by buying and selling off duplicates to help finance my collections. Between all of these years, I also visited Garage Sales, Flea Markets, etc. to collect as many games as I could. It's been fun, but in the last 6 to 7 years, I've been slowly selling off some of my collections such as my Atari 2600 (over 600 games) and my 5200 (complete except for 4 games). Trust me, it's not an easy thing to do after collecting for all these years.

So, back to the present. I'm now retired after 45 years and as much as it pains me, I need to sell some of my other collections since there not being used anymore and are just gathering dust. Just recently, I sold my NES collection of 625 Games. According to this site (rarityguide.com), that NES collection was worth a little over eight grand. I sold it for much less, but it went to a very nice collector, so that definitely made me feel better about having sold it.

Well, that my story (or past history) and I'm sticking to it . Sorry for the large intro, but it really pretty small when you consider that it was a span of over 30 years. Oh, yea, almost forgot, the Collection that I'm probably going to sell off is the Atari 7800 that includes all of the games including some oversea's games like Sentinel and every Game is Near Mint to Mint, CIB (and about 1/3rd are shrink-wrapped), plus the 7800 System that is also CIB in Near Mint condition. I'm interested to know what the people in this group think that something like this is worth in today's market and what you think I may actually be able to get for it. Appreciate any thoughts that you may have on this.

Again, Hi and as Arnold would say, "I'll be Back!". See you soon.

Soddda is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Oldtime Gamer and Newcomer to the group...

hi welcome sounds like you have had lots of adventures in gaming you will feel right at home here

BerzerkiratA is offline Very Common

Thank you. I feel like I already am. What Games do you like - Atari, NES, etc - Platform, Fighting, Adventure, Sci-Fi, etc.?

Soddda is offline Uncommon

I played NES

I like platform games like Mario