+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Church
  • 2 Post By Church

Thread: The Set has begun!

Church is offline Common

Default The Set has begun!

Alright so i have about 110 cards right now xD
    have commons for every color (and artifacts, but no multi) and uncommons for W/U/B. Since most of them i dont have names for the artists who did them I'll be posting text cards.

Angelic Sky Guard 1WW
    Creature - Angel (C)
    Flying, Defender
    Even when I fight, I know all honor is held on the defensive side
    0/5

Armory Harness 2
    Artifact - Equpiment (C)
    Costs to equip equipped creature cost 2 less
    Equip 3
    Which one did you want me to kill you with?

(For hero creatures, go find my topic in the custom card section about rules for hero creatueres)
    Atton, Journeyman Mage 1W
    Hero Creature - Human Cleric
    1 -- 2 ------ 3
    1: Vigilance
    2: At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 1 life for each card in your hand.
    3: Whenever you gain life, you gain 2 life for each 1 life gained.
    Trigger: Whenever you gain 2 Life
    1/1

Blazeraiser Gang 1R
    Hero Creature - Goblin Berserker (C)
    1 - 2,3
    1: First Strike
    2: Red creatures you control get +1/+1
    3: Whenever a red creature you control is blocked or becomes blocked by a creature, Bazeraiser Gang deals 1 damage to that creature
    Trigger: Whenever Blazeraiser Gang sends a creature to the graveyard during combat.
    2/1

Bring to Light 1U
    Instant (C)
    You may look at target player's hand and choose 1 card from it. That player discards that card and draws two cards.

Bringers of Rot B3
    Hero Creature - Demon Assassin (C)
    1 --- 2 ----- 3
    1: Deathtouch
    2: Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1
    3: At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a creature
    Trigger: Whenever a creature an opponent controls is put into the graveyard from play
    2/2

Burst of Power X1G
    Instant (C)
    Target creature you control gets +X/0 or +0/+X until end of turn.

Change of Destiny U
    Instant (C)
    Changer the target of a spell or ability to a creature you control
    I’ve found through my many years that there is no reason to fight something head on like a bull, when one can rather sidestep and let it hit something less important.

Corrupted Blood B
    Sorcery (C)
    Target creature you control gets +3/+0 until end of turn. At end of turn, you lose 4 life.
    Legion Shaman - If you control a Shaman, at end of turn you may have target opponent lose life equal to the life you've lost this turn.

Corruption Blade 4
    Artifact - Equpiment (C)
    Equipped creature has Deathtouch
    Equip 2

Dawn Ritual 1W
    Sorcery (C)
    You gain 1 life for each creature in all graveyards.
    A purpose can still be served after the light inside you has gone out.

Dispersal Spell G
    Instant (C)
    Target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
    Legion Scout - If you control a Scout, draw a card.

Dream Trap 2W
    Enchantment - Aura (C)
    Enchant Creature
    Enchanted Creature Can't Attack.
    Legion Soldier - As long as you control a Soldier, Enchanted creature has no abbilities.
    We must not forget the Mercan. Their mind magic can throw our enemies for a loop.

Twin-Blade Scourge 5BB
    Creature - Demon (C)
    Flying, Doublestrike
    What do you say to my offer? No?
    5/4

Efran, Elvish Scout 3G
    Hero Creature - Elf Scout (C)
    1 - 2 -- 3
    1: Vigilance
    2: Forestwalk
    3: Whenever Efran, Elvish Scout deals combat damage to a player, untap all lands you control.
    Trigger: Whenever you play a creature spell
    3/2

Engulf in Flames 3RR
    Instant (C)
    Engulf in Flames deals 4 damage to target creature or player.

Essence Scavenger W
    Creature - Human Cleric (C)
    Legion Knight - As long as you control a Knight, Essence Scavenger has "Sacrifice Essence Scavenger: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control."
    I must find hope where there is none left.
    0/1

Extract Fear 1B
    Sorcery (C)
    As an additional cost to cast Extract Fear, sacrifice a creature.
    Target player reveals their hand. You choose one noncreature, nonland card and that player discards it. Then that player discards a card.

Fade Away 2W
    Sorcery (C)
    You and target opponent sacrifice a creature. If those creatures would be into a graveyard, they are removed from play instead.
    Sometimes, measures must be taken to make sure the cause continues.

Filter the Weeds 2U
    Instant (C)
    Return target nonland permanent to it’s owner’s hand.
    Legion Rouge — If you control a Rouge, draw a card.

I only posted 20 (in alphebetical order so i understand if these dont seem like they work with eachother just yet) I'll post later

In the mean time, Criticisms are always welcomed.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: The Set has begun!

Not enough time to comment on everything just yet, but two things come to mind:

Atton's last ability results in an infinite loop. Change it to a replacement effect - "If you would gain life, you gain three times that much life instead".
    Burst of Power - Compare to Untamed Might.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Church is offline Common

Agreed, I'll change Atton's 3rd ability to
    "Whenever you gain life, you gain double that amount instead."

As for Burst of Power, its based off of Untamed Might. for the extra 1 you can choose to beef up Power or Toughness

Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    As for Burst of Power, its based off of Untamed Might. for the extra 1 you can choose to beef up Power or Toughness
    ...or you can pay one less mana and beef up both.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Church is offline Common

derp forgot it did both.

perhaps for burst of power make it

Burst of Power XXG
    Instant (C)
    At the beginning of your next main phase add X to your mana pool.

Church is offline Common

Here we go again, 20 more to look at.

Fishpiercer UU
    Creature - Merfolk (C)
    The Mercan carry spears to ensure a meal is always near by during the down times of war.
    3/2

Flora Serpent 1G
    Creature - Plant Snake (C)
    Legion Warrior - As long as you control a Warrior, Flora Serpent has Deathtouch.
    1/1

Forest Tormentor 4GG
    Creature - Troll (C)
    It roams the forest, constantly looking for something to “play with.”
    6/5

Goblin Cleaver 1
    Artifact - Equipment (C)
    Equipped creature has First Strike
    Equip 2

Goriah, Elvish Nightblade 1G
    Hero Creature - Elf Warrior (C)
    1 --- 2 - 3
    1: TG: Sacrifice a creature. Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost equal to or less than the sacrificed creature’s and put it into your hand.
    2: Trample
    3: Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Goriah.
    Trigger: Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player.
    1/1

Gorka Fire Stoker 1R
    Creature - Goblin Shaman (C)
    Legion Juggernaut - As long as you control a Juggernaut, Gorka Fire Stoker has, " Sacrifice Gorka Fire Stoker: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player"
    2/1

Gorka Head Hunter 2R
    Creature - Goblin Berserker (C)
    Trample
    Gorka Head Hunter gets +2/+0 for each other red permanent you control with legion.

Gorka Footpad 2R
    Creature - Goblin Scout (C)
    Legion Berserker - As long as you control a berserker, Gorka Footpad gets +2/+0
    2/2

Gorka Striker 3R
    Creature - Goblin Warrior (C)
    Legion Berserker - As long as you control a Berserker, when Gorka Striker comes into play, it gets +2/+2 and gains Haste until end of turn.

Grenade Striker 1R
    Creature - Goblin Berserker
    Haste
    At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice Grenade Striker
    4/1

Gruz the Glutton 4R
    Hero Creature - Goblin Juggernaut
    1 ---- 2
    1: Gruz the Glutton attacks each turn if able.
    2: Sacrifice a creature: Put 3 +1/+1 counters on Gruz the Glutton
    Trigger: Whenever a creature goes to the graveyard from the battlefield.
    4/4

Insanity U
    Enchantment - Aura (C)
    Enchant Creature
    At the beginning of each upkeep flip a coin. If you win the flip, tap enchanted creature.

Kentra's Charge 1R
    Instant (C)
    Kentra's Charge deals X damage to target defending player where X is the power of target blocked creature you control.
    Going straight on has never been the answer. You must always use an angle.

Krota Lancer 2W
    Creature - Human Soldier (C)
    “If our way of life is to survive, we must be willing to sacrifice our own survival for the survival of others.”
    — Richtor Krota

4/1

Krota Priest 1W
    Creature - Human Cleric (C)
    Whenever a creature is sacrificed, you gain 2 life.
    I find beauty in both life and death. They are both part of a never ending cycle we all must attend to.
    1/1

Krota Sky Patrol 1W
    Creature - Bird Tutrle (C)
    Flying
    Legion Cleric - As long as you control a Cleric, Krota Sky Patrol has Lifelink
    Directed, they are great allies.
    2/1

Krota Weapon Master 3W
    Creature - Human Knight (C)
    Legion Soldier - As long as you control a Soldier, Krota Weapon Master gets +2/+2
    To arms men!
    3/3

Leatherskin Dragon 2R
    Creature - Dragon (C)
    Flying
    R, Sacrifice a Goblin: Put a +1/+1 counter on Leatherskin Dragon
    Leatherskins never stop growing, so they must eat often to keep themselves from starving.
    2/2

Lightning Strike RR
    Instant (C)
    Lightning Strike deals 3 damage divided as you choose among up to 3 different target creatures.
    “Enough of this “Ready, Aim, Fire” business. With lightning i save time.

Loss of Interest UU
    Instant (C)
    As an additional cost to cast Loss of Interest, sacrifice a creature.
    Counter target spell.
    If they enemy doesnt care, they do not fight.

Enjoy! Criticisms and advice are always welcome

Fishpiercer - Blue shouldn't get creatures this efficient.

Forest Tormentor - I'll say to this a big peeve of mine. If you insist on including vanilla creatures, at least don't make them carbon copies of ones we already have, in standard no less.

Goriah - Hero creatures should in no way be common. I'd even hesitate to put them at uncommon.

Krota Priest - "Whenever a creature is sacrificed" abilities are done very rarely, and never at common. I'd also think about putting this in black rather than white (see also Deathgreeter).

Leatherskin Dragon - Dragons are supposed to be big, scary creatures. They're supposed to be awe-inspiring game winners. With the exception of the odd hatchling here and there, such as Dragon Whelp and Furnace Whelp - and keep in mind even those are uncommon - you should respect a creature type with such a rich history and not put it on a creature this small and at common. Also keep in mind that red is the second worst colour at flying, and doesn't get Wind Drake, let alone a strictly better version. That said, I do like the flavour of the card, so I recommend beefing it up and putting it at rare - perhaps six mana for a 4/4 flier and gaining two counters instead of one with the ability.

Loss of Interest - I can't think of many reasons to run this over Familiar's Ruse.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Church is offline Common

Thanks again Arix for all the crits, you really help.

On one note, for Loss of Interest and Krota Priest, as i've said i plan on making a block. All mechanics of a set don't really shine through until the last set comes to light. For instance, Splinter Twin (granted its in a diff block) didnt become a ten dollar card until deciever exarch. But moving on, the second and third sets are supposed to be about an upcomming war, and all factions are religious, meaning they will give sacrifices to the gods. Basically sets 2 and 3 will have a decent amount of creatures that reward you for getting them sacrificed. (Also in the third set i plan on doing a mix of colors in the factions and the Krota do get a touch of black. As to why, i'm going the keep taht actual part of the story to myself. I've developed it quite a bit since i last mentioned it) But if you feel strongly enough about Loss of Interest I can bump it down to 1U instead.

Forest Tormenter, after you spoke of it being a copy i agree, i wasn't aware i had done that xD I'll get that changed, maybe lower its pow/tou and reduce the mana cost by 1 or 2.

Same thing with Fishpiercer, I'll bump it down to a 2/1.

Leatherskin Dragon i actually agree with wholheartedly. I wasn't too happy with making it a dragon when i put it together but the picture i found for it said otherwise. Perhaps I'll make it a Lizard or something, because i would like to keep the card as it is, although I'll remove the flying.

As for hero creatures being common, i realize that they do seem to be rare-esque cards. The problem is if I take all those common ones and throw them up with the Rares, it'll become Alara all over again and the Sets will be nothing but Rare Parades. Perhaps uncommons would suit them better. I don't entirely know to be honest.

Thats why with the final abbility, I try not to make them entirely overpowered (Though Atton's last ability is basically Boon Reflection -_-" thats gonna need another tweak then)

Thoughts on these thoughts?

On one note, for Loss of Interest and Krota Priest, as i've said i plan on making a block. All mechanics of a set don't really shine through until the last set comes to light. For instance, Splinter Twin (granted its in a diff block) didnt become a ten dollar card until deciever exarch. But moving on, the second and third sets are supposed to be about an upcomming war, and all factions are religious, meaning they will give sacrifices to the gods. Basically sets 2 and 3 will have a decent amount of creatures that reward you for getting them sacrificed. (Also in the third set i plan on doing a mix of colors in the factions and the Krota do get a touch of black. As to why, i'm going the keep taht actual part of the story to myself. I've developed it quite a bit since i last mentioned it) But if you feel strongly enough about Loss of Interest I can bump it down to 1U instead.
    Fair enough.

Same thing with Fishpiercer, I'll bump it down to a 2/1.
    We already have [mtg]Coral Eel[/card] and several others taking the two-mana vanilla blue 2/1 slot. I'd rather add one to the cost, making it a 1UU 3/2.

Leatherskin Dragon i actually agree with wholheartedly. I wasn't too happy with making it a dragon when i put it together but the picture i found for it said otherwise. Perhaps I'll make it a Lizard or something, because i would like to keep the card as it is, although I'll remove the flying.
    Also an option. I made my suggestion of making it bigger and rare because the flavour does seem to suit a big Dragon more than a little Lizard.

As for hero creatures being common, i realize that they do seem to be rare-esque cards. The problem is if I take all those common ones and throw them up with the Rares, it'll become Alara all over again and the Sets will be nothing but Rare Parades. Perhaps uncommons would suit them better. I don't entirely know to be honest.
    The problem is that they're far, far too complicated to go on common cards. Remember that rarity is determined by many factors other than power level, and complexity is a big factor. The closest thing I can think of to compare hero creatures to is flip cards - there were no common flip cards, and the hero mechanic is far more complicated than flip.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Church is offline Common

1UU for Fishpiercer seems good. I'll make that change then.

As for leatherskin, perhaps I'll make a new lizard card and set aside the dragon for a rare.

I would accept the hero creatures being uncommons, that seems acceptable. Alright I'll make those changes.

But let me add 20 more onto you, let me know if i'm going too fast:

Lost Catacombs 1U
    Enchantment (C)
    At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card for each hero you control.

Mercan Coral Shark 5UUU
    Creature - Leviathan (C)
    Defender
    If your opponent controls a creature with Legion, Mercan Coral Shark may attack as though it didn't have Defender.
    7/7

Mercan Fetch Hound U
    Creature - Merfolk Hound (C)
    Sacrifice Mercan Fetch Hound: Draw a card
    Mercans use Fetch hounds to ensure their needs are not limited to just the seas or just the land.
    1/1

Mercan Ocean Runner 2U
    Creature - Merfolk Beast (C)
    Legion Rouge - As long as you control a Rouge, Mercan Ocean Runner has First Strike
    Fast on land, faster in the ocean.
    2/2

Mercan Rerouter 1UU
    Creature - Merfolk (C)
    Legion Wizard - As long as you control a Wizard, you may play Mercan Rerouter as though it had Flash.
    When Mercan Rerouter comes into play, you may change the target of target spell or ability to Mercan Rerouter.
    1/2

Messenger Griffin W
    Creature - Griffin (C)
    Flying
    Sacrifice Messenger Griffin: You gain 2 life.
    Griffins are used by the Krota to ensure that even if a message is lost, another one is already traveling by air.
    1/1

Midnight Lure Hawk 1U
    Creature - Bird Illusion (C)
    Flying
    Whenever Midnight Lure Hawk deals combat damage to a player, that player puts that many cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard instead.
    Its chatter is a trick for the foolish.
    1/1

Molder Mask 1
    Artifact - Equipment (C)
    When Molder Mask comes into play name a creature type.
    Equipped creature has "Legion X - This creature gets +2/+2" where X is the chosen creature type.
    Equip: 2

Youthful Griffin 1W
    Creature - Griffin (C)
    Flying
    New life is but the beginning of war.
    2/1

Nightblossom Bloom 2GG
    Enchantment (C)
    Players may play Hero Creatures as though they had flash.
    “Even in the silence of night, nature still springs to life.” —Goriah, Elvish Nightblade.

Nova Demon 3BB
    Creature - Demon (C)
    Trample
    Nova Demon attacks each turn if able.
    5/3

Nova Stone 6RR
    Creature - Elemental (C)
    Nova Stone attacks each turn if able.
    Those born by fire, live by fire.
    7/7

Nova Snake 4R
    Creature - Elemental Snake (C)
    Nova Snake attacks each turn if able.
    BEWARE: Flames erupting from the Nova are not only sentient, but also extremely aggressive and attack without being provoked.
    —Krota Survival Guide

7/1

Oracle of Thestra 2U
    Creature - Merfolk (C)
    Whenever a blue creature you control is put into a graveyard as a result of sacrificing, draw a card.

Ink Thief 1BB
    Creature - Imp Nightmare (C)
    Flying
    When Ink Thief comes into play, remove the top card of target player's library from the game face down. You may look at that card.
    When Ink Thief leaves play, put the removed card on top of it's owner's library.
    1/1

Possession Box 4
    Artifact (C)
    When Possession Box comes into play, tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Possession Box.

Primal Burst 2G
    Instant (C)
    Target creature you control gets +2/+2 and is Indestructible until the end of the combat step.

Purity Blade 4
    Artifact - Equipment (C)
    Equipped creature has Lifelink.
    Equip 2

Relic Gauntlet 3
    Artifact - Equipment (C)
    Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and has First Strike
    Equip 4

Reshape Terrain 1R
    Instant (C)
    As an additional Cost to play Reshape Terrain, sacrifice a mountain.
    Put a 4/4 Elemental Beast Creature token into play.

Rewrite Thoughts U
    Sorcery (C)
    Name a nonland card. Target player reveals their hand and discards all cards with that name and draws equal to the amount of cards discarded.

Rot Slug B
    Creature - Slug (C)
    Sacrifice Rot Slug: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
    0/2

Oops i lied, put up 22 instead xD
    as always Crits and advice greatly appreciated

Lost Catacombs should probably be uncommon too.

Mercan Fetch Hound should cost 1 more. Compare Hapless Researcher.

Mercan Ocean Runner - blue doesn't get first strike. Unless Rogues are an exclusively white/red creature type (which they're not), that needs to be addressed.

Mercan Rerouter - I don't like how half the card is useless unless the other half is active. The legion ability can go entirely, just give the guy flash.

Molder Mask should be uncommon.

Nightblossom Bloom - I'm not sure about all these cards that directly affect Heroes. Too many of them and you risk the set being too insular. Also think of limited - if Heroes are all at uncommon or higher, you don't want to be getting a bunch of cards that interact exlusively with Heroes.

Nova Demon - This should be red.

Three common creatures with the same drawback is kind of overkill. Choose one and stick with it, lose the others.

Primal Burst - Any reason for the weird "end of combat" stipulation as opposed to the regular "end of turn"? Aside from feeling weird and unintuitive, it makes the indestructibility a bit useless.

Relic Gauntlet - See also No-Dachi.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Church is offline Common

Okay its really late by me and i just go off work so i wont go down your list of card crits right now. But i'll explain the one off the top of my head.

For Primal Burst, its basiclally insuring your creature gets to deal the damage. The Indistructibily obviously stops First Strike and Kill Spells, but leaves it open afterwards for kill spells. When i was thinking up the card i wanted a mechanic that would allow the creature to get through, but i didnt want it to be able to live out the turn if the damage from the otherside was too great. This seemed like a fair comprimise.

(Plus its kind of a setup for the Keyword i want to inject into the third set, Berserk X (When attacking, this creature gets +X/+X and is Indistructible until the end of the combat phase.)
    or something along those lines

That seems like a really weak reason to go against everything that players know and have trained themselves to do for eighteen years...
    Fluttershy is best pony.