+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DatAsh
  • 2 Post By Arix

Thread: card ruling on Gideon, Champion of Justice in magic the gathering

Neil is offline Common

Default card ruling on Gideon, Champion of Justice in magic the gathering

When I use the last ability of Gideon, Champion of Justice

Does it exile my own permanents too or only other player's permanents?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: card ruling on Gideon, Champion of Justice in magic the gathering

All permanents means all permanents.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Neil is offline Common

so whats the point if its exiling my permanents too and the ability costs a lot to use so i am left at best with like some 3/3 creature (Gideon) and nothing else and his first ability is useless now since other player dont have more creatures and i dont even have lands any more to cast more spells?

DatAsh is offline Rare

That's not a rules question, that's a strategy question. And if you don't like the card then it wasn't made for you.

But to entertain you, let me give you a situation:

I have Gideon at 20 counters somehow and use his ultimate. Before it resolves, I tap all of my lands and mana rocks for mana, let's say that's 12 mana.

Now I have a Gideon with 5 counters who can attack uninterrupted next turn and I have enough mana to cast things from my hand, like creatures. I now have a distinct advantage over my opponents.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

I'm playing Commander. I have 11 mana (very easy to do in Commander) and Gideon at 20.

I tap all my lands for 11 mana. I activate Gideon's ultimate, exiling all permanents. I play Worldspine Wurm with that eleven mana and pass the turn.

I now have a Worldspine Wurm in play, along with a 5/5 Gideon. You have nothing. You'd better do something amazing with the one land you may or may not be able to play on your next turn, cause otherwise you're taking 20 to the face each turn.
    Fluttershy is best pony.