+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arix

Thread: clan defiance mtg rule

Teddy is offline Uncommon

Default clan defiance mtg rule

Let's say opponent casts Clan Defiance choosing the first two modes

In response, I have my non flying creature gain flying, and my flying creature lose flying

Is the spell countered since each of the modes no longer target the correct creature?

or does damage still go through since there is still a valid target for each mode?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: clan defiance mtg rule

Each target has to be specific to the mode. If you chose creature A as "target creature without flying" and creature B as "target creature with flying", then A gains flying and B loses it, then when Clan Defiance tries to resolve, it sees that each creature is now an illegal target and the spell is countered.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

flien2 is offline Common

Why can't he just say that he is flipping that targets of the mode so that they target the legal targets

so first mode will target the flyer who used to be the non flyer

and second mode will target the non flyer who used to be the flyer

and also why would he not do the third mode as well since its basically free he doesnt have to pay more mana for it

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Quote Originally Posted by flien
    Why can't he just say that he is flipping that targets of the mode so that they target the legal targets
    Because you can't do that? That's just like saying "I'm just going to draw five cards now." "I'm just going to play three extra lands." "I'm just going to play this without paying the cost. We cool?"
    Fluttershy is best pony.

DatAsh is offline Rare

Since when would ever be okay to just change your mind about what you're targeting? If you make mistakes or your opponent responds to your things you can't just change your mind, it's part of the game.

flien2 is offline Common

its still the same targets you just changed the order?

DatAsh is offline Rare

No, it's not anywhere near the same. Each part of the spell targets a specific creature. You can't change the targets of a spell or ability without a spell or ability that does that, like Goblin Flectomancer.

DatAsh is offline Rare

Also why are you arguing with the game rules? It's a fruitless endeavor.