+ Reply to Thread
    Adrian is offline Uncommon

Default Why all the worldwake hate?

Whats up with all the worldwake haters here? Like almost every card there are people calling it "junk" or "filler" or something. I think worldwake has many cool cards and every set will have cards that are less interesting and cards that are more interesting

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Why all the worldwake hate?

there are many reasons to like or dislike worldwake at the moment. it all depends if you like what wizards has done with the set so far or not. also note that we can at the moment only judge the set from what we've seen so far.

i need to go into a little more depth here. there are three archetypes of magic players. timmy, johnny and spike. non of these types of players are right or wrong. they are just diffrent aproches to the game.

timmy - timmy likes big stuff. big creatures, big effects etc. if a card costs 20 mana but does something that is realy spectacular timmy will like it. most timmy players prefer casual to competative. winning is not that important to timmy. if timmy wins he wants to win BIG. stomp you with a progenitus yeah thats fun. 13/13 trample flying haste angel deamon dragon, a timmys dream.

johnny - johnny sees magic as a place where he can express his own personality and creativity. he likes winning but not at all cost. it must be on his own terms. johhnys that play tournaments will try to find a deck no one else plays but will still win. casual johhnys will try to find things that suprise, amaze and dazle. being powerful is secondary to being creative. if you see a card and have the feeling there must be something to make that from crap to amazing then your thinking along johnny lines. johnnys are realy important for our last archetype, the spike. why because johnnys come up with the tools spikes use.

spike - i want to win. that pretty much defines a spike. most are tournament players where winning is the generaly declared goal. spikes will play whatever it takes to win. if the best deck is realy boring spikes will play it because it wins. spikes dont go in for fun or creativity much but the thrill of victory. hence they are dependant on the johnnys to invet the good decks for them, so they can copy them of the net ^^. the best spikes at some point realise that they need to be a bit of a johnny to be an even better spike.

so back to worldwake. so far we have a very big number of timmy cards spoiled. a big angel that removes stuff is fun but nothing so wierd that you can get realy creative or so efficiant that it wins. so far the set is a timmys dream. dragons, demons, angels lots of big spells etc. its all there.

the spikes have got some cards too so far. stuff that is efficiant but not exciting. a spell that would read: "R - instant - deal 4 damage to target player or creature" it would not realy be exciting but spikes will love it because its simply good.

the johnnys have not gotten much yet. if you like useing your brain a lot and getting creative then worldwake does not offer you much yet.

that is one of the reasons world wake disapoints some poeple.

there are more reasons however. the "blue thing", color pie issues and general design creativity.

the "blue thing" - blue is at an all time power low. if you like playing blue this is not a good time. the issue is widely known and so hopes were high, that world wake would fix that. so far there is no sign of that leading to disapointed blue mages.

color pie - wizard has formulated what each color is allowed to do. timespiral block often broke those rules because that was the theam of the block. it is not the theam of world wake but it still does so. to me personaly that makes wizards loose credability ... again. yet more disapointment ... ok not with world wake as such but with wizards shown via world wake.

general design creativity - some sets have realy creative new cards. lots of stuff you have never seen befor. stuff that adds wonderful new angles to the game. so far world wake does not have much of that. disapointing.

so why is all this so ? well simply put wizards makes more money this way. timmy players are the ones who buy the most boosters. hence they get more and more attantion over time. timmy hates counters and complex control deck and wopeee they die out. timmy want big stuff without haveing to find some clever way to make it work in the first place and wopeee johnny cards are reduced. blue needs something new to do so it gets cards that do things timmys like the most (stuff with big creatures) and wopeee color pie rules are ignored ...

i don't have anything against timmys. thier aproach to the game is not mine but valid in thier own right. what sadens me is that wizards / hasbro market research tells them to make the game more and more only for timmy players leaving the rest of us by the wayside. world wake so far has shown that this trend continues.

i hope this explains why a lot of people are pissed off