+ Reply to Thread
    seba1983 Guest

Default Important !!! Direction this forum should be takeing in the futur. read & contribute

you might have seen the other thread. well this one is going to be less emotion ridden ^^

so let me explain why we should have a discussion.

1. the forum does not have a firm line to it yet as to what the focus will be.

2. some people (includeing myself) are not realy satisfied with the (for lack of a better term) interpritation of the forum rules.

here is where we stand:

the forum is almost exclusively used to answer rules and other questions of new players. this is neither good nor bad. its simply the current state.

what the comuninty should discuss is: should this forum be a place for new players to have thier questions answered ? should this forum focus on a diffrent aspect of magic ? should this forum focus on all aspects of the hobby in equal parts ? should a selection of aspect be picked out to focus on ?

the thing is that if this forum focuses primarely on answering questions from new players than that is perfectly valid. even then some things need to be done. writing FAQ's need a high priority. subforums should be restructured. here is an example of the top of my head:

- creature abilitys
    - card interaction
    - card types
    - other rules
    - deck help

thats just very rough and not realy good.

what is important to me is that we have this discussion. also every user can and realy should contribute. its your forum. if you dont contribute no one can know what you want the forum to be like.

there is the option to leave everything as it is. personaly im against that because at the moment it all seems very much chaotic and in need of cleaning up to bring out a unique and somewhat more respectable character to the magic forum.

i sincerely hope that this discussion will be held by all or at least most and not just the usual suspects.

Rocket is offline The Hallowed

Default Re: Important !!! Direction this forum should be takeing in the futur. read & contrib

I like it the way it is. And with all the questions even I sometimes learn something that I though was right but then I read I was wrong so there's always learning even for more advanced players.

Urza is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Important !!! Direction this forum should be takeing in the futur. read & contrib

Yeah the forum is used mostly for answering questions from new players, but because thats what most people are asking. How can you change focus? even if we somehow reduce the number of new player questions, will that cause more advanced players to come here? not so sure. But anyway on the other post I read Jared said that they are all for the new players, so I dont see that changing.

plus we have the competitive and deck building forums now, but not many are using them. People can go hang out in thise forums and only post and read competitive posts if they dont like the beginner posts. Isnt that why these forums were put in place in the 1st place, so that people can have a place to post more advanced magic questions without their posts being buried? there's no more "excuses" for not using it.

Anyway bottom line I think I'm saying, I also want to see a lot more advanced topics, but I think we have to let people post what they want. There's no way to change "focus" really, unless you can start out-posting all the other users with competitive posts. Hopefully some more advanced players will also come and start using the competitive sub forums as well and those will get some attention too.

Logi is offline Uncommon

I agree with Urza, I want to see more competitive topics also but not if by sacrificing the new players. Why cant we have both?

There will always be more new/beginner/intermediate players then really advanced ones, thats how it is in most fields the more advance you go the less people are there.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Here's what I reckon we should have here -

1. Rules Q&A.
    2. Standard discussion.
    3. Extended discussion.
    4. Legacy/vintage discussion.
    5. Casual discussion.
    6. Combo discussion.
    7. Rumour mill.

There's some ideas for you to toss around.

Also, while looking back through old rules threads here, I noticed one by seba, a little "quiz" type thread (what happens if player B casts Evangelise with player A controlling only Uril the Miststalker). It seemed like a cool idea and one worth continuing.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

seba1983 Guest

over the time i have started several things in the forum to generate a more comunty-y like feel.

1. bazzaro rule
    2. presenting (for diffrent casual formats many may not have heard about)
    3. a beginners guide to the diffrent play styles.
    4. hollyday challange
    5. primer
    6. advent calander

not sure if thats all of them. anyway with most of them i got next to no resonance so i did not continue to do them. it also left a "bitter taste" that the useres here were not interested in a comuninty but only to have "rules bimbos" ... the onyl one that had a good resonance was the rules quiz, further leaving me with the feeling the forum is reduced to the rules aspect by most useres ...

kip
    kip is offline Scarce

I like it hear cuz I get all my magic questions answered and i made lotsa friends

Josh is offline Very Rare

we have to remember that this forum is relatively new.

Community will come, it just takes time. I already see the roots of a community here. and so will advanced members. Hang in there

seba1983 Guest

what roots are thre that you see ? could you explain that a little please ?

Josh is offline Very Rare

well for starters, you kappu arix talk to each other like you were friends/a part of a communtiy

And there are a bunch of us that are also active helping others like me, twanos, urza and some more I dont remember now

eventually mroe and more users will feel part of the community and it will grow as a community

seba1983 Guest

okay i am very disapointed that only six useres even bothered to contribute. either you just dont care because all your doing here is leaching off quick answers out of lazyness or you just dont care because of whatever reason you have not to care.

either way im disapointed. it seems im more or less the only one who is not satisfied with the way the forum is at the moment.

as i said befor i have no problem with answering question. i have still answered several questions (more than any other user appart from arix!) since i started this thread.

what still bothers me is that the usesrs in this forum make me feel like im your service hotline with my only reason for existance being to answer your questions over and over and over again. i know why i would never work in a callcenter.

the roots of comuninty that josh said were there i dont see. all i see is that this forum is little more than a "free to call helpline for noob questions".

that is simply not enough to keep me interested in this forum.

i do have to thank you though as the useres in general in this forum have made me laugh a lot (ok in dispare but still ...) and have made my descision to quit magic for good and sell all my cards that much easier. and befor anyone bothers to ask i will sell them lokaly first and what remains over ebay.

since everyone else is apparently quite happy with the forum as it is the number of people who will miss my repeated, if apparently pointless, attamtes to take the forum beyond "beginner help line" should be very few. so no more hollyday contests, primers, telling you of other casual formats etc. well at least not from me.

i wont be gone instantaniously since i still need to make sure arix gets his special title for winning the christmas challange (as the only entry ... did i mention im realy disapointed?). after that however i will be gone for good.

i wish all of you the best. apperently you have here a forum that suits your need but not mine. try to change the forum was not wanted so i draw my consequences from that.

so as final words all i have to say is:

I scoop