+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power 9

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Default Power 9

Okay I'm new seen this card talked about alot and can't seem to find anything about it is power 9 the actual name of the card???

Can someone link me to it on the gatherer or post what it does I'm just to curious at this point LOFL.

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Power 9

the power 9 is a term for the alledgedly 9 most powerful cards ever printed. the original power 9 consists of:

ancestral recal
    time walk
    time twister
    black lotus
    mox emerald
    mox perl
    mox saphire
    mox jet
    mox ruby

time twister however had in the eyes of many vintage players left the power 9. only some storm combo decks actualy still play it. the top spot is held in union by black lotus and ancestral recal in the eyes of many. black lotus has a strong case to it to just edge out the recal.

due to the seeming departure of time twister from the power 9 there has been some discussion if there is some other card that should be considerd to be part of the power. librabry of alexandria, mishra's workshop and bazzar of bagdhad are all strong contenders. yawgmoth will is a good choice in my oppinion. to many people it is just to new, too cheap to buy to be worth to stand beside the others well thats vintage players for you ^^

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Thanks Seba I was sitting here like WTF is Power 9 even after reading parts of the treasures thread......

Damn them newbie players (points at self)

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Okay so I looked at the cards and they don't seem all that to over done....... again coming from someone that may not totally understand why they are all great the mox's all use no mana to cast and you can tap to produce mana of collor told on card the other cards I have seen similar stuff in the newer sets just with higher mana costs. So what is the big hype other than they are all 600+ dollar cards?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

For the Moxes, look at it this way - they're just like basic lands, except without the "land" type. As in, you can play any number of them in a turn. Imagine playing a game of Magic with someone, in which the "one land per turn" rule didn't apply to you.

Yeah. That's why.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

seba1983 Guest

yeah its allowes for turn one madness like have 4 mana draw 3 cards do some combo -> win ... these cards (with the excaption of mishras workshop and bazzar) are all banned in every format other than vintage. even in vintage they are restricted, so you are only allowed to play 1. if that was not the case vintage would be all about those turn one wins evenyone thinks happen in vintage in every game.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I see what you mean now. So I take it some formats don't limit you to 4 of one card type? And I guess you could pry do some pretty nasty things with them :P

Arix is offline Merrymaker

No, every format (except limited, and I gues technically casual if your group's cool with it) limits you to a maximum of four of any one card (and as seba said, with cards like this they're limited to 1, or banned altogether). But even with one of each Mox and a Lotus, along with all the old-school lands that can get more than one mana on the first turn, it all adds up to insane amounts of mana very early in the game.

And back in the day when there was no "four of" rule, you could just play Moxes in place of basic land, essentially circumventing the one land rule entirely.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

See I didn't get to play back in the oldshcool day so always neat to hear how it used to work kinda like I assumed the four of rule was always that way. Nice to see the game changes though.