+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenji

Thread: why dismember in elf deck??

goblinmasterx is offline Uncommon

Default why dismember in elf deck??

my friend wants me to play dismember in my elf deck...its not even green... 4 life to cast and it doesnt even killl them, just -4/-4...

Kenji is offline Scarce

Default Re: why dismember in elf deck??

It's actually -5/-5, and it will kill a creature if it brings that creature's toughness to 0 or lower. For example, Steel Hellkite (5/5) will be sent to the graveyard for having 0 toughness after a Dismember; Rune-Scarred Demon (6/6) will not, because it will still have 1 toughness afterwards.

Dismember is an amazing way to deal with many creatures, especially because the black mana portion of it isn't mandatory -- meaning that a green deck, which normally has very few ways to get rid of creatures outside of combat, can benefit from the card. 4 life might sound like a lot, but it really isn't if the alternative means you lose to a particular creature that would stay on the battlefield otherwise.

The most important thing you can learn as a beginning/intermediate player is this: The only life that matters is the very last point. Until you've gone down to precisely 0 or lower, you haven't lost the game. This is a basic tenet of playing that you'll come to realize after playing a ton of games. Life is to be consumed as a resource, much like mana or cards in your hand. If you really feel the need to replenish that resource through life gain, that option is also available to you.

goblinmasterx is offline Uncommon

can i kill myself with this spell??

Arix is offline Merrymaker

If you have exactly 4 life, yes.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

peanutbutter is offline Uncommon

also if u have less then 4 life

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Nope, only if you have exactly 4. You can't pay life you don't have, so if you have 3 or less, you're unable to pay the cost of 4 life and so you can't cast the spell (unless you have only 2 life and one black mana, that'll do it too).
    Fluttershy is best pony.

peanutbutter is offline Uncommon

if I have 4 life and I have Worship can I cast the spell and end up at 1 life?

Jake1991 is offline Scarce

Quote Originally Posted by peanutbutter View Post
    if I have 4 life and I have Worship can I cast the spell and end up at 1 life?
    Nope. Paying life is not damage. Worship will do nothing.