+ Reply to Thread
    cassievasquez91 is offline Very Common

Default A car door hit my car as i was driving,i panicked and kept driving

okay. so i commited a hit and run, i was driving along the parked cars when all of a sudden i heard a noise,didnt think anything happend because i was moving very slowly at the time since we were approaching a stop light,when i stopped,my passenger side mirror shattered...i looked in my rear view mirror and saw a suv with their door somewhat open. i panicked thinking i hit him,but i did not because my glass was shattered and my passenger side mirror was pushed all the way back so he hit me with his door once i had already passed his vehicle as i didnt see a open car door in front of me while i was driving. I am panicking and the past 2 days i have not been able to sleep.there were cars behind me and im afraid someone got my licence plate number and reported me,im not sure if the car noticed what had even happend to him as when i looked in my rear view his car door was still slightly open as traffic approached him. my side mirror has no other damage other then a shattered mirror,no dent or scratch. I recieved a call the same night of the incident from "freeway insurance" but i missed the call and no voicemail was left. my friend had actually been involved with them and they scammed her out of her money and i have read some reviews that "freeway insurance AGENCY" is a scam and have scammed otheres. so i began to think they called to try and scam me? hah.. i know i should have stopped and i feel awful about this.this happend thursday and it is now sunday what should i do? my friend suggested i call the non emergency police number and ask if a hit and run was reported last week..should i?

Sunshine is offline Uncommon

Default Re: A car door hit my car as i was driving,i panicked and kept driving

Yes you were wrong in not stopping but I understand sometimes people panic in these kinds of situations, from what you describe it sounds like the accident wasnt entirely your fault - He opened the car door without checking if its safe, and you hit him.

You could maybe go to the police station and report it yourself, explain everything, if the other person didnt file a police report then perhaps they will just let you out with a warning

You could sit and do nothing but as you said there is a chance that someone wrote down your license plate so it could be risky...

You could try your friend's suggestion of calling the non emergency police number and asking if any have been reported, though I'm guessing theyll question you for your reasons? not sure

You could also try posting your question in other forums that deal more with legal matters such as this one: http://www.legaladviceglobal.com/hit-run/

Good luck with whatever decision you make