+ Reply to Thread
    Riley is offline Uncommon

Default Do Rarity Guides (ie this one) report prices, or do they directly affect them?

Was wondering about the role of rarity lists and price guides (such as this website) in regards to reporting or setting prices. Is the purpose of this website solely to report on the prices, or is there any attempt to directly set the prices themselves?

gamescollector is offline Uncommon

I'd say both. I mean, initially the official purpose of most rarity guides (and this one as well I presume) is to report the prices and nothing more. But eventually, as more people turn to use this rarity guide, they will set their prices closer and closer to what the price guide says. So in the end, the guides end up directly influencing prices...thats just how it is, I guess

Miscetal is offline Common

Default Re: Do Rarity Guides (ie this one) report prices, or do they directly affect them?

I've come to believe that many of the authors of price and id guides are tempted beyond their power to resist to inflate the value of specific collectibles. The reasons, I will agree to believe are obscure.

But think how much more precious that Jewel Tea Autumn Leaf mixing bowl or teapot seemed before Ebay showed you every one available in every town in America - and before demand for the vintage item promoted repros being produced and sold as new.

No man is an island......each is part of the whole.....My grandmother used to quote that, as well as "don't pi** too near to your own well" ;-}