+ Reply to Thread
    yellow9 is offline Uncommon

Default Educational Video Games that were fun and also taught you a thing or two?

While many video games detracted us from schoolwork and homework growing up, some games were educational in some way and actually contributed to out knowledge and education.

What game did you grow up on that added to your education?

One of my favorite games was Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. Not only was it a very cool game, it also taught me a lot about Geography and actually made the topic of Geography very fun. I read all the time in newspapers how nowadays many American kids don't care about Geography and can't find countries on the maps. I think that games such as Carmen Sandiego can make a difference

chronodev is offline Founder

I also enjoyed playing Carmen Sandiego, learned a lot of Geography from it.

Some other educational games I liked and which helped me learn:

Gortek and the Microchips: Helped me learn BASIC programming

Little Professor: Well not sure if this one is considered a handheld videogame (it was more of a calculator) but I treated it as such. Helped develop my math skills when I was very little.
    chronodev
    Founder, RarityGuide.com
    "We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin & Hobbes

Logi is offline Uncommon

I remember a fun math game for IBM / DOS called "Adventures in Math" in which you would explore a castle and solve math problems to open doors and get treasures. Kind of like a combination between an RPG and math

mercury is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by yellow9 View Post
    While many video games detracted us from schoolwork and homework growing up, some games were educational in some way and actually contributed to out knowledge and education.

What game did you grow up on that added to your education?

One of my favorite games was Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. Not only was it a very cool game, it also taught me a lot about Geography and actually made the topic of Geography very fun. I read all the time in newspapers how nowadays many American kids don't care about Geography and can't find countries on the maps. I think that games such as Carmen Sandiego can make a difference
    Another Geograpy Related game is "Mario is Missing" for the Nintendo NES. I learned lots of fun geography facts from that game.

Note that this game is not the greatest- definetly not as good as Carmen Sandiego. I liked it because I like the Mario line, but all my friends hated this game. It will probably only appeal to Hardcore Mario fans

bonner is offline Uncommon

I liked Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego, which is similar to Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, only that it teaches history instead of geography

klicker is offline Super Moderator

I played Math Blaster, a fun math game. Helped improve my mathematics skills

Zidarose is offline Editor in Chief

Wow, that takes me back and a bit of a list too ...

Oregon Trail: I sucked at it, but good for learning about the survival of the westward expansion

Math Blaster: Awesome Math game

Mario Teaches Typing: The only touch typing game I actually LIKED!

Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego: It was an awesome computer game series!

Where is Mario: Fun and easier than Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

I'm sure there were more, but those are all that come to mind right now!
    Finally, a new generation of Pokemon for us to enjoy. There is much to look forward to in 2011!

Marc is offline Common

Default Re: Educational Video Games that were fun and also taught you a thing or two?

I also enjoyed the Carmen Sandiego series

Oddish is offline Common

Default Re: Educational Video Games that were fun and also taught you a thing or two?

Odell Lake for the Commodore 64, taught about sealife.

jenny87 is offline Very Common

I agree Educational Video Games are fun and teaches a lot! I can say that "Complete Brain Workout" is a good one to make mind exercises without getting bored, (You can play Soroban, Kakuro, Boxes, Darts, Connexagon and Sudoku.) here you can see the game review of this game: Complete Brain Workout | PC Game Trek

Sean is offline Uncommon

Oregon Trail was my favorite educational game.

Freyastewart is offline Very Common

Well, I can tell you from the personal skill that video games can be really educational in their own way. Of course, there are the games that are made for an educational purpose but I am talking about regular games. Language is another factor that games can teach. I've played a few games and UK Essay Writing Help for improve the grammar. I'm starting to notice the grammar structure in the sentences as well as individual words.