+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Member Chat Box

eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

Default Member Chat Box

Y'know that "Shout Box" thingie at the top of some forums that folks use to chat in real time.

I'm not sure what the cost of resources it would be to add one but I do feel it would be a great audition for the site with some common sense stipulations.

Such as the obvious "No Access without a minimal post count." to stop spammers and new users from violating the next rule below....

No Questions, If you have a question other than a very short yes or no, then post it. That is how we get the majority of our traffic here and we don't need to overtake the shout with drawn out explanations about why someones PC defaulted to a Private IP Address etc.

BlackDS is offline Scarce

Default Re: Member Chat Box

I suggested an IRC channel, this sounds like pretty much the same thing.

eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

not quite the Shout Box would be general at the top of the page and would not require java (I think....) or an IRC client. Also it would not have the various IRC commands. I'll see if i can find an example.

Kinda like this Shoutbox Examples but more compact.

I'm not opposed to an IRC room either but this is more Noob Friendly and I believe can be implemented without much of an increase in overhead (Powers that be withhold you scolding for that last part, I'm a Technician not a Web Master ).

chronodev is offline Founder

I tried putting a shoutbox on top of the site at one point, but didn't like the way it looked. All space is extremely valuable, and in the end, I don't think it would add much to the site compared to the space/resources it would use.
    chronodev
    Founder, RarityGuide.com
    "We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin & Hobbes