Cryptic has published a preorder FAQ!!

Pre-Order Bonus FAQ | Star Trek Online Official Site

Q: Where can I pre-order?
A: Our pre-order partners can be found on our retail page.
Q: What about the EU/UK? What about the collector’s edition there?
A: Namco/Bandai is handling distribution in the United Kingdom and EU. They are working on various product plans currently. We will post information as we know it.
Q: How does the pre-order work? How do I get into Open Beta and the Head Start?
A: When you purchase the preorder, you’ll receive a Key that works for Open Beta and Head Start. Keys will either be e-mailed to you or given to you at the store. Each retailer is sending out keys at different times so check with them about timing.
Q: Will I receive my retailer exclusives during the Head Start?
A: No. The exclusives are tied to the retail product, not to the preorder key. In other words, you’ll need to purchase the full version of the game and input that key.
Q: Do the exclusive items stack? Can I get more than one thing?
A: Yes, different items stack. So if someone purchased multiple copies of the game from various retailers, he would receive all those items for EACH character created. Included playtime will still stack as well. However, the same bonus does not stack. So if someone purchases from Wal Mart twice, he cannot get two 500 point skill bonuses for the same character. (Each character will get one).
Q: If I purchase the game in order to get the retailer exclusive, can I give the code to someone else?
A: No. You only receive the retailer exclusive once you redeem the retail code. Once you’ve done that, the code cannot be used again.
Q: Will the exclusives be offered as a microtransaction?
A: Not at launch, but somewhere down the road we may offer to let people purchases these if they did not pre-order.
Q: When is the Head Start? When is Open Beta?
A: Open Beta is 1/12/10 – 1/26/10. Head Start is 1/29/10-2/2/10.
Q: If I purchase the Digital Deluxe Item from Steam, D2D, etc. will I also receive their retailer exclusives?
A: Yes.
Q: If I preorder the game, but don’t pick up the retail game, will I be stopped from playing past the Head Start?
A: Not right away. We will have a grace period of several days to give everyone the opportunity to pick up the retail copy of the game.
Q: How do I get my items?
A: After you’ve entered your retail keys(s) and create a character, you’ll enter your first map and immediately see a pop up screen. This will notify you of the item(s) available for you in our C-Store, online microtransaction store. You’ll be able to collect these items for free at any time and they’ll be applied to that particular character.