+ Reply to Thread
    trader is offline Uncommon

Default star trek online private server?

Is it possible to have a private server in Star Trek Online?

sonicshield is offline Scarce

Default Re: star trek online private server?

most likely not

dylinkfu is offline Very Common

why do you say probably not when the game is on a disk and all they need to do is figure out how to reverse it and then put it on there own server I dont think there really is a way to make it so you couldnt make a private server of this game. Itll just take time. Dont pull stuff out of ur ass just cuz ur paying the monthly fee for it.

sonicshield is offline Scarce

It's on MMORPG so it is not on a disk it is on Cryptic's server

Dex Luther is offline Very Common

Quote Originally Posted by sonicshield View Post
    It's on MMORPG so it is not on a disk it is on Cryptic's server
    I love it when people pull stuff out of their ass.

Aion's on MMORPG, WoW is on MMORPG, Ragnarok is also on MMORPG, and they all have private servers.

To the op: Where there's a will there's a way. If there's enough interest in it, then it's only a matter of time.

I wouldn't even be looking into a private server for it if they had a free trial. I'm not going to spend and amount of money on something I can't try first.

Fuzzzzy is offline Very Common

if i remember right the server files for those games were "leaked".. thats why we have the public servers.... STO is smarter then that... ever see a CoH private server?
    i haven't.. cryptic has dun a good job of keeping their games off the "private server circuit".. at least from what Ive seen....

Case in point... SOE has SWG...it has taken 5-6 years to have(get/reverse engineer) the server files for SWG and put out a public server for it.. it took so long due to people having to RE it... it takes a lot of work and a long time to do this to a game.. and some things in the public server are NOT original to the game.. they had to wright and code some of the files from scratch...

so we might see a public server in a year or two but it might take a while...

angelababy is offline Common

when the game is on a disk and all they need to do is figure out,it and then put it on there own server.It'll just take time,and they all have private servers.

DocDove is offline Very Common

OK, for those that don't know, all MMORPGs work like this... there are 2 parts to the game, the client (which is what is installed on your computer) and the server (which is what is running on the server, duh).

The game client is dumb, it just does what the server tells it to for the most part. So what you have installed is basically all of the art assets (textures, models, animations, etc, etc) and a pretty game engine to render the world. All of the math, storage, etc is done on the server side, and there is no way to copy the server files over the client-server connection. This software has to be leaked, or stolen, or reverse engineered (network transmissions monitored, and new software created to mimic what thier server does).

So, while the game art assets are available, the game itself (you know all the stuff that controls those assets) are not. And in cryptic's case, those assets are still locked behind the .hogg file extension, so they can't even be manipulated (yet). That is a matter of time, however, as the old one from CoH (.pigg) has been cracked. This allows for some modding of the art and animation assets.

And, no, not all online games have private servers available.

kiarasilor is offline Very Common

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzzy View Post
    STO is smarter then that...
    Sorry if I'll dissapoint you on that part.. STO is currently owned by Cryptic, but since they invited PWE/PWI to join their little game, and maybe sell it over, or it's already owned by PWE/PWI.. there probably will be a private server in the future..

Let me explain.. Perfect World mmorph, made by PWE/PWI has tons of private servers, same for their other games.. if they buy STO or join it, it's likely the files will be leaked or stolen through PWE/PWI.. All of PWE/PWI's games have private servers duo to fail security and such.

Just keep the hopes up and there will be on soon..

P.S. don't bother replying/quoting me with "there won't be a server because your wrong" because then you can go to the nearest dump heap and stick your head in it.. nothing is impossible, and this world doesn't need smartasses and other type of jerks..

BroodjeHond is offline Very Common

The game isnt played by that many people which makes sense as the combat often is terrible, so dont expect any private servers.

reoga is offline Very Common

Ok, the game is FREE to play, and has been that way for 2 years. I currently play the game and love it. I just think the C-store if way to expensive for the casual players. I want to play a private server for 2 reasons.
    1) No more lag, and no more downed servers
    2) I can then get any ship\weapons I want. However, I would just change the dilithium rewords from 450 to 4,500 and make it a 10d to 1c exchange rate, rather then player controlled 89 - 199d to 1c.

I did the math, and I would need to play 8 hours a day for 8,000 dilithium, as that's the max your allowed a day to refine. That converts to 80 C-store points a day, and can buy something like a ship, in 63 days, provided no downtime. THAT SUCKS ASS, so you will end up paying $50 for 5,000 C-store points = 1 ship