+ Reply to Thread
    Quantum is offline Uncommon

Default sega genesis has no power

I recently purchased a new power cord for my Sega Genesis but when I plug it in it still doesnt seem to be getting power.

Any good way to tell whether its a power cord or the genesis console itself?

Is it worth it trying to fix it or should I just get another one...

BlackDS is offline Scarce

Default Re: sega genesis has no power

I had the same problem with my genesis two too. When I turn it on and it gets no power, I just push the wire connecting to the Genesis a hard as I can and it works, only problem is if I even touch the system afterward the power goes back out!

theMK2 is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDS View Post
    I had the same problem with my genesis two too. When I turn it on and it gets no power, I just push the wire connecting to the Genesis a hard as I can and it works, only problem is if I even touch the system afterward the power goes back out!
    guess I'll have to be the ol' man on this site and pass down my knowledge
    if you look into where the power supply plugs into the console, you will see a center post and if you look real close you will see on the edge a spring tab. in time the spring tab gets compressed resulting in a loose connection. you can use a dental pic to bend the tab back toward the center post just a little so that it will make a good connection. you must have a good connection on both the center post and the spring tab as one is the negative side of the power supply and one is the positive side of the power supply. hope this helps you.
    Last edited by BlackDS; 08-10-2009 at 06:53 PM.

gamer is offline Common

If you know someone else who has a working genesis you can have him try your power cord to see if its the cord or the system.

On the other hand if the cord is whats causing the problem like by short circuiting, you wouldnt want to do damage to another genesis