+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vakuso

Thread: box and manuel question

vakuso is offline Common

Default box and manuel question

can someone please explain to me why some genesis game manuels are in color and other are in black and white and why some early genesis games are in a wierd style of cardboard box

magicgame is offline Uncommon

Default Re: box and manuel question

I think Sega did it to save money?

vakuso is offline Common

do you know about the box like they have for Hardball!.

andamonium is offline Very Common

The change to black and white manuals happened later in the system's life cycle, I've also always assumed this was done to save money. Games like Hardball! and Super Off-Road were unlicensed games for play on Sega Genesis and Mega Drive. They were produced by Ballistic and probably contained some sort of chip to get around the Genesis proprietary system. Tengen did the same thing with NES back in the 80's. Later licensed Genesis games came out in cardboard boxes, this was also probably done to save money. Popular EA games that originally came out in the plastic clamshell were later re-released in cardboard boxes. With black and white manuals. If you're collecting, the original plastic clamshells are more sought after.