+ Reply to Thread
    gamescollector is offline Uncommon

Default Adventure for Atari 2600- Rarity rating of 28% too high?

I noticed the Rarity of "Adventure" cartrdge in the Atari 2600 rarity guide is listed as 28%. While this still falls under common, I think it might be too high? I see this game all the time in flea markets and thrift shops.

Maybe it should be more around 10%?

jared is offline Staff

The abundance of a certain item is not the only factor in the RarityMeter rating of this website. If you read the faq I think you'll see an explanation on how Rarity is deteremined. It says the factors include among others popularity, demand, age and collectibility.

In that sense, I agree with the 28% rarity rating for this game. Adventure is a game many of us grew up on, and is one of the first games people will seek to acquire when building an Atari 2600 games collection. So even though it is really easy to find, it gets a higher rarity rating then other easy to find games. And as you yourself said, 28% is still pretty common (it is still in the GREEN area of the RarityMeter)

http://www.rarityguide.com/faq.php

atarilad is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by jared View Post
    The abundance of a certain item is not the only factor in the RarityMeter rating of this website. If you read the faq I think you'll see an explanation on how Rarity is deteremined. It says the factors include among others popularity, demand, age and collectibility.

In that sense, I agree with the 28% rarity rating for this game. Adventure is a game many of us grew up on, and is one of the first games people will seek to acquire when building an Atari 2600 games collection. So even though it is really easy to find, it gets a higher rarity rating then other easy to find games. And as you yourself said, 28% is still pretty common (it is still in the GREEN area of the RarityMeter)

RarityGuide.com - Collectibles Rarity and Pricing. Online Price Guides and Rarity Lists
    I agree, I like this rarityguides's approach. Adventure is one of the game
    everyone wants to get so it should get higher rating then other common games.

chronodev is offline Founder

Jared and atarilad summed it up pretty well. Adventure is one of those cargtridges everybody is going to want, and thus it's rarity rating is a bit higher then other common games.

We talked to many gamers and collectors while working on this guide, and all of them mentioned this game as one they either want to get or have already. Thus, the collectibility value increases, and as explained, collectibility and demand is part of the factors in the RarityMeter rating.

It is still in the green zone (and classified as common) though because of the abundance of this game in the market.

Thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated!
    chronodev
    Founder, RarityGuide.com
    "We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin & Hobbes

gamescollector is offline Uncommon

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying