+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    missmich is offline Very Common

House Old books 1800's-early 1900's

I was wondering about how much old books from the 1800's through early 1900's are worth or does it depend on the title and author of each book. Almost 20 years ago I got a bunch of books from my grandmothers library and I've been going through them all. In some of them my great-great grandmother actually tapped newpaper articles into the front binder cover of the books on the authors.
    I'd like to pass/sell some of these on to someone that would appreciate them.
    Thank you for any help.

CastleKing is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Old books 1800's-early 1900's

It would depend on the title/author/publisher of the book.

Many old books are not worth much, while others might be very rare and sought after and worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

It also depends on the condition of the books.

If you can post a list of the books here (with all the details such as year, publisher, author, title, condition and any other identifying details) we can help you determine how much they are worth and if any of them is rare.

missmich is offline Very Common

Here are a few of the books for now. I'll post a few more later. Thank you for any help. These are all hard covers.

1908 The New Werner Company Book Manufactures Edgar Allan Poe Tamerlane and Other Poems Front Cover when opened first two pages are loose - all pages are otherwise intact but pages are browning from age.

1917 Grosset & Dunlap Publishers Beorge H. Doran Company The Curtis Publishing Company Katharine Haviland Taylor Cecilia of the Pink Roses Totally intact

1916 Harper & Brothers Publishers Metropolitan Magazine Company Booth Tarkington Seventeen No Problems at all with this book. All pages - no dog ears or anything - cover and binding all intact.

1926 Rand McNally & Company Canterbury Classics Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson Edited by Theda Gildemeister Totally intact but front edge of cover/binding is a little frayed.

1915 Grosset & Dunlap Publishers Gene Stratton-Porter Michael O'Halloran All pages intact When you open it the binding seems loose but other than that in great condition.

I have quite a few - are there certain ones I should look for or is it easier to list them all? I hate to fill this up with all this info unless this is the easiest way to do it. Again, I thank you for all your help.

Tome is offline Uncommon

Here is what I think based on 6 years of experience collecting books:

That 1908 Tamerlane and Other Poems by Edgar Alan Poe one is rare, but the loose pages decrease its value significantly. I'd say it is worth around $100

The 1917 Cecilia of the Pink roses isnt worth much...maybe $5 to $10

The 1916 Tarkington Seventeen would be worth about $15

1926 Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson $10

1915 O'Halloran: $15

From the books you listed so far, the Edgar Allan Poe one would be the most valuable.

I would recommend listing all the books so that the more valuable ones can be pointed out.

benny50 is offline Very Common

Default Re: 1968 Book Arts of Russia 17th&18th centuries

I have a book titled (Arts of Russia 17th and 18th centuries, author Abraam L. Kaganovich, translated from Russian by James Hogarth, 1968 by Nagel Publishers, Geneva, Switzerland. This book binding is tight. pages are all in great condition with no marks. Beautiful color illustrations throughout. It is a hardcover with very minor wear front and back.

This book has prices as follows $35.00,$180.00,$136.38 and $140.00. What is the correct resale price for a book in the condition stated above.

Thank you
    Benny50

Tome is offline Uncommon

I'd say around $60

House Re: Old books 1800's-early 1900's

Tuesday July 28, 2009 @ 8:10PM (EST)

I have a book Titled God's Minute, A book of 365 Daily Prayers sixty second's long for home worship. By 365 Eminent Clergymen and laymen. Publisher's The Baker & Taylor Company Trade selling agents New York City. Copyright 1916 by L.M. Cross.

The condition of this book is as follows Hardcover binding is separating slightly frist and last page of book. All pages are tight and not loose and has edge, corner and spine wear.

How much would this book in this condition selling price?

Thank you

Benny50

Wednesday August 5, 2009 @ 8:20pm EST

To Whom It May Concern:

I have a Hardcover book with a tight binding and all pages are very clean. The Title of this book is U.S.A. 1. The 42nd Parallel II. Nineteen Nineteen III. the Big Money, Author John Dos Passos, The Modern Library, New York copyright 1937 and was published by random house.

I also understand this book to be scarce. How much is this book worth for resale?

I also have another hardcover book with a very tight binding and all pages are clean. The title of the book is Cakes and Ale, author W. Somerset Maugham, Triangle books New York City, The intial copyright was 1930. The copy I have is a reprinted January 1941.

How much is book worth for resale?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,
    Benny50

Wednesday August 5, 2009 @ 8:36pm EST

To Whom It May Concern:

I have three books and looking for resale value for each?

1. God's Minute, A book of 365 Daily Prayers sixty seconds long for home worship. The binding first page loose and the rest of the pages are tight and clean. Authored by 365 Eminent Clergymen and laymen. Publisher The Baker & Taylor Company Trade Selling Agents, New York City, Copyright 1916 by L.M. Cross and printed in United States.

2.How to make friends with birds, What to do to make One's Home Grounds Attractive to Bird Life. From Nesting Boxes to Winter feeding, Author Niel Morrow Ladd , 200 illustrations, Doubleday, Page & Company Graden City, NY, Copyright 1916.

3.Flower Guide Flowers East of the Rockies, Author Chester A. Reed with 320 flowers in color, painted by author, Publisher Doubleday, Page & Company Garden City, New York Copyright 1907 Chas. K. Reed Worcester, Mass.

Thank you very much for your time and expertise. Have a great day.

Benny50

Quote Originally Posted by benny50 View Post
    Wednesday August 5, 2009 @ 8:20pm EST

To Whom It May Concern:

I have a Hardcover book with a tight binding and all pages are very clean. The Title of this book is U.S.A. 1. The 42nd Parallel II. Nineteen Nineteen III. the Big Money, Author John Dos Passos, The Modern Library, New York copyright 1937 and was published by random house.

I also understand this book to be scarce. How much is this book worth for resale?

I also have another hardcover book with a very tight binding and all pages are clean. The title of the book is Cakes and Ale, author W. Somerset Maugham, Triangle books New York City, The intial copyright was 1930. The copy I have is a reprinted January 1941.

How much is book worth for resale?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,
    Benny50
    I beleive the Dos Passos book could be worth up to $100 (depending also on exact condition)

I dont think the Cakes and Ale book is worth much though.

Default Price check

August 11, 2009 @ 12:20pm EST

To Whom It May Concern:

I have a paperback book titled BUtterfield 8 is black print on a white background, By John O'Hara is orange printing on white back ground, The front cover has a vertical border left and right orange and in the middle is a black and white Photograph of Elizabeth Taylor talking on the telephone. Below the photograph black type is as follows "The book of the film released by M-G-M starring Elizabeth Taylor, Laurence Harvey, Eddie Fisher Penguin Books 2'6 and to the left of this near the lower spine complete and unabridged typed in black and is vertical.

On the back cover is a black and white photograph of John O'Hara with a brief bio and at the bottom is "for copyright reasons this edition is not for sale in the U.S.A. or Canada.

Published by Penguin Books 1960 Reprinted 1961 inside front cover

on the lower spine is the number1469.

I have not been able to find a copy of this book with the color format or photograph.

I would like to know the retail value of this book for resale?

Thank you for your time and expertise

Benny50

Tome is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by benny50 View Post
    Wednesday August 5, 2009 @ 8:36pm EST

To Whom It May Concern:

I have three books and looking for resale value for each?

1. God's Minute, A book of 365 Daily Prayers sixty seconds long for home worship. The binding first page loose and the rest of the pages are tight and clean. Authored by 365 Eminent Clergymen and laymen. Publisher The Baker & Taylor Company Trade Selling Agents, New York City, Copyright 1916 by L.M. Cross and printed in United States.

2.How to make friends with birds, What to do to make One's Home Grounds Attractive to Bird Life. From Nesting Boxes to Winter feeding, Author Niel Morrow Ladd , 200 illustrations, Doubleday, Page & Company Graden City, NY, Copyright 1916.

3.Flower Guide Flowers East of the Rockies, Author Chester A. Reed with 320 flowers in color, painted by author, Publisher Doubleday, Page & Company Garden City, New York Copyright 1907 Chas. K. Reed Worcester, Mass.

Thank you very much for your time and expertise. Have a great day.

Benny50
    None of those books have a particularly high resale value:

1. God's Minute, A book of 365 Daily Prayers sixty seconds long for home worship. The binding first page loose and the rest of the pages are tight and clean. Authored by 365 Eminent Clergymen and laymen. Publisher The Baker & Taylor Company Trade Selling Agents, New York City, Copyright 1916 by L.M. Cross and printed in United States: $10

2.How to make friends with birds, What to do to make One's Home Grounds Attractive to Bird Life. From Nesting Boxes to Winter feeding, Author Niel Morrow Ladd , 200 illustrations, Doubleday, Page & Company Graden City, NY, Copyright 1916. $5

3. 3.Flower Guide Flowers East of the Rockies, Author Chester A. Reed with 320 flowers in color, painted by author, Publisher Doubleday, Page & Company Garden City, New York Copyright 1907 Chas. K. Reed Worcester, Mass. $10

pfarmer is offline Very Common

Quote Originally Posted by CastleKing View Post
    It would depend on the title/author/publisher of the book.

Many old books are not worth much, while others might be very rare and sought after and worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

It also depends on the condition of the books.

If you can post a list of the books here (with all the details such as year, publisher, author, title, condition and any other identifying details) we can help you determine how much they are worth and if any of them is rare.

Maybe you could help me with a few books my grandmother gave me. Hope I am using this forum correctly as I am new here. (4) of these books are music books.

1873 - Title: Kitty Brown & her Bible Verses - Sunday-School Reward Book
    LONDON: T. Nelson and Sons, Paternster Row; Edinburgh; and New York (Book is still bound with all pages looks worn and fragile)

1897 - Title: The Changed Cross and Other Religious Poems. By Henry Altemus. Manufacturer: Philadelphia.

1897 - Title: The Seed Sower; a collection of songs for Sunday schools..and gospel meetings edited by A.F. Myers Author of The Lifeline and The Searchlight. Copyright 1897 by the W.W. Whitney Company. Toledo OH

1887 - Title: Golden Anthems. Published by Chicago Music Company 152 and 154 Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Wm. A. Pond and Co., 124 5th Avenue, New York. Author: C.E. Leslie. (poor condition)

1878 - Title: Line upon Line or A Series of the Earliest Religious Instruction the Infant Mind is Capable of Receiving by the author of The Peep of Day. New York; Robert Carter and Brothers, 530 Broadway.

1869 - Title: Echo to Happy Voices. Hymns and tunes for the home circle and sabbath schools. Chiefly original. Published by The American Tract Society, 150 Nassau Street, New York.

1886 - Title: Celestial Sonnets A Collection of New and Original Songs and Hymns of Peace and Progress Designed for Public Gatherings, Home Circles, Religious, Spiritual, Temperance, Social and Campmeetings, etc. By B.M. Lawrence, M.D. Publisher: Hartford, Conn.

1915 - Title: Roberts Rules of Order Revised for Deliberative Assemblies By General Henry M. Robert, US Army. Company: Scott, Foresman and Company. Chicago - Atlanta - New York

Tome is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by pfarmer View Post
    Maybe you could help me with a few books my grandmother gave me. Hope I am using this forum correctly as I am new here. (4) of these books are music books.

1873 - Title: Kitty Brown & her Bible Verses - Sunday-School Reward Book
    LONDON: T. Nelson and Sons, Paternster Row; Edinburgh; and New York (Book is still bound with all pages looks worn and fragile)

1897 - Title: The Changed Cross and Other Religious Poems. By Henry Altemus. Manufacturer: Philadelphia.

1897 - Title: The Seed Sower; a collection of songs for Sunday schools..and gospel meetings edited by A.F. Myers Author of The Lifeline and The Searchlight. Copyright 1897 by the W.W. Whitney Company. Toledo OH

1887 - Title: Golden Anthems. Published by Chicago Music Company 152 and 154 Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Wm. A. Pond and Co., 124 5th Avenue, New York. Author: C.E. Leslie. (poor condition)

1878 - Title: Line upon Line or A Series of the Earliest Religious Instruction the Infant Mind is Capable of Receiving by the author of The Peep of Day. New York; Robert Carter and Brothers, 530 Broadway.

1869 - Title: Echo to Happy Voices. Hymns and tunes for the home circle and sabbath schools. Chiefly original. Published by The American Tract Society, 150 Nassau Street, New York.

1886 - Title: Celestial Sonnets A Collection of New and Original Songs and Hymns of Peace and Progress Designed for Public Gatherings, Home Circles, Religious, Spiritual, Temperance, Social and Campmeetings, etc. By B.M. Lawrence, M.D. Publisher: Hartford, Conn.

1915 - Title: Roberts Rules of Order Revised for Deliberative Assemblies By General Henry M. Robert, US Army. Company: Scott, Foresman and Company. Chicago - Atlanta - New York
    1873 - Title: Kitty Brown and her Bible Verses - Sunday-School Reward Book
    LONDON: T. Nelson and Sons, Paternster Row; Edinburgh; and New York (Book is still bound with all pages looks worn and fragile): I dont think this is worth much. Maybe $5

1897 - Title: The Changed Cross and Other Religious Poems. By Henry Altemus. Manufacturer: Philadelphia. : Not sure about this one

1897 - Title: The Seed Sower; a collection of songs for Sunday schools..and gospel meetings edited by A.F. Myers Author of The Lifeline and The Searchlight. Copyright 1897 by the W.W. Whitney Company. Toledo OH: Not much, around $5 to $10

1887 - Title: Golden Anthems. Published by Chicago Music Company 152 and 154 Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Wm. A. Pond and Co., 124 5th Avenue, New York. Author: C.E. Leslie. (poor condition): SInce this one is in poor condition, not much, maybe also $5 to $10

1878 - Title: Line upon Line or A Series of the Earliest Religious Instruction the Infant Mind is Capable of Receiving by the author of The Peep of Day. New York; Robert Carter and Brothers, 530 Broadway.: not sure but i dont think this is worth much

1869 - Title: Echo to Happy Voices. Hymns and tunes for the home circle and sabbath schools. Chiefly original. Published by The American Tract Society, 150 Nassau Street, New York.: Around $25

1886 - Title: Celestial Sonnets A Collection of New and Original Songs and Hymns of Peace and Progress Designed for Public Gatherings, Home Circles, Religious, Spiritual, Temperance, Social and Campmeetings, etc. By B.M. Lawrence, M.D. Publisher: Hartford, Conn.: Not sure about this one could be rare

1915 - Title: Roberts Rules of Order Revised for Deliberative Assemblies By General Henry M. Robert, US Army. Company: Scott, Foresman and Company. Chicago - Atlanta - New York : around $15

kori is offline Very Common

Hi there. I'm donating books and one caught my eye. Any idea if this is worth anything? Thanks so much!

A Book of Verses by Robert Loveman - 1900

Interesting, I think I have the 2009 book of Verses version, dont remember seeing the 1900 one, could be rare

kwharris is offline Very Common

Quote Originally Posted by kori View Post
    Hi there. I'm donating books and one caught my eye. Any idea if this is worth anything? Thanks so much!

A Book of Verses by Robert Loveman - 1900
    Hey, I would be interested in purchasing this book from you. I do not know what it is worth. Robert Loveman lived in my home town. Let me know if you still have it or if you donated it, does the charity still have it?

boscosblues is offline Very Common

I have a 1900 Sir Walter Scott "Scott's complete Poetical Works" in wonderful condition, no dust cover, it also has a picture taken from the New York Times Date unknown of the unfinished painting of Sir Walter Scott lol. It is red cloth bound and still has the tissue for the picture just before the Title page.
    I am just wondering if it is worth anything oris it just a nice collectable.

I also have a 1935 edition of Harriet Monroe "Chosen Poems" It is also in Wonderful condition and includes the dust cover bound in walnut cloth

If anybody has any ionformation or knows of a website where I could find out the value, I would be most appreciative in finding out.

Thank You,
    Bosco
    Last edited by boscosblues; 11-11-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Tome is offline Uncommon

I found these on ebay, versions from before 1900 that were listed for cheap but didnt sell:

SCOTT'S COMPLETE POETICAL WORKS, leather, gilt spine,EX - eBay (item 200532976065 end time Oct-20-10 16:57:05 PDT)

1870 - SCOTT'S POETICAL WORKS - LEATHER - COMPLETE - eBay (item 110602854009 end time Oct-31-10 12:46:55 PDT)

Scott's Poetical Works, Complete (Sir Walter)

so dont think that book is worth very much... you say though yours is in "wonderful" condition so that might increase its value some

sbroucher1010 is offline Very Common

Quote Originally Posted by missmich View Post
    I was wondering about how much old books from the 1800's through early 1900's are worth or does it depend on the title and author of each book. Almost 20 years ago I got a bunch of books from my grandmothers library and I've been going through them all. In some of them my great-great grandmother actually tapped newpaper articles into the front binder cover of the books on the authors.
    I'd like to pass/sell some of these on to someone that would appreciate them.
    Thank you for any help.
    I think they are all valuable. The contemporary authors who were famous at that time, their writing are more valuable. They have thoughts different form us may be something new philosophical things available form those which are very valuable.