+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    pcobb1949 is offline Very Common

Fish Re: Old books 1800's-early 1900's

To Whom With the Experience of Old Books!

I have a set of 4 books titled: The School Library Encyclopedia
    Copyrighted 1897 Bellows Brothers Publisher in Chicago
    "Embracing History, Geography, Discovery, Invention, Biography, Arts, Sciences and Literature. Prepared especially for the use in the public schools of America with Guideposts - A reading Index" Fully illustrated with Lithographs, engravings and historical, political and physical maps.

Condition a bit worn on the hardbound covers, with some lithograph colored pages covered in onion skin type paper.

I'm curious as to the history and are these rare? What would the price check be?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Jpatton888 is offline Very Common

Default Re: Old books 1800's-early 1900's

I have copies of Graded Literature Readers first (1899), second(1899) and third (1900) text books by Charles E. Merrill Company; Graded Work in Arithmetic (1897) by S. W. Baird; and Mastery of Words (1920) by Sarah Louise Arnold. I was wondering what these text books are worth?

albray is offline Very Common

The book He Leadeth Me was given to me a long time ago by my great aunt. I am unsure of publish date, but looks like early 1900s.
    The publisher was Charles E. Graham & Co. Newark , NJ & New York.
    On the back cover is printed "0923 Golden Hymn Series"
    Includes the song “He Leadeth Me” by J. H. Gilmore as well as bible verses; Psalm 23:3, John 10:3, Psalms 23:2, and Isaiah 48:17.
    There are beautiful illustrations throughout the book. Cover has wear and tear, but pages are in pretty good shape.
    I snapped photos and put into a slideshow. ‪He Leadeth Me Vintage Book‬‏ - YouTube
    If you have any more information about this book, please let me know!

Puzzled is offline Very Common

I have a collection of 10 hardback books from the National reporter system ( law books) from various regions across the USA all in great shape dated from 1878-1912 any idea of the worth or where to get them appraised?

Thank you

samtastic5266 is offline Very Common

I have a leather bound Shakespeare anthology produced by D. Appleton and Company, NY, 1867 and revised by Mary Cowden Clarke. It has slight darkening of the page edges, but the pictures are sharp and not smudged at all. The spines are rubbed, but intact, and none of the pages are missing or loose. Gilt edges, marbled end papers, and Shakespeare is in gold on the front. It is not "Shakespeare" though; it says "Shakspeare". The rest of the book spells the name correctly with the first e following the k, but there is a very conspicuous misprint on the cover. Also, the book was dedicated to a Miss Allie Wood for winning an English Composition exhibition in 1869- the occasion has been noted by hand on the first (blank) page of the book.

Any thoughts as to what this book may be worth? I've heard that a book dedicated to someone is worth less, but this I think just makes it more historical. I was also thinking that the misprint may make the book more valuable. Of course, I'm only guessing- I have no real clue about its rarity or commonness.

redbird1011 is offline Very Common

Could you tell me the worth of these??
    Little Women- Louisa Alcott Publisher A.L.Burt Company Copyright 1896,1910,1911 Hardcover
    Edgar Allan Poe- The Raven Edition The works of Edgar Allan Poe in Five Volumes - Volume Two/ P.F. Collier & Son 1903
    A Girl of the Limberlost- Gene Stratton Porter / Grosset & Dunlap Hardcover 1909
    Thoughts That Inspire - George H.Knox / Personal Help Publishing - 1908

ejjblood is offline Very Common

I have an old German Sunday School book. It is titled Um des Glaubens willen. There are four short stories by Minna Rudiger and one by a C. Winter???? titled Wilhelm's goldene Schuhe. I can find books by Minna Rudiger but nothing on this C. Winter nor the story itself. Unsure of publication year, though the publisher is Ernst Kaufmann. There is a stamp inside from Ev. -Luth. St. Johannes dated Dec 25 1902 but my research has led me to believe that it was just a Christmas gift in that year. Minna Rudiger published her first Um des Glaubens willen. Vier erzahlungen aus de Reformationszeit in 1898 and a second publication in 1909. I am trying to find a value on this. I know that Minna's books run from $25 - $40 depending on publication year.

Adele is offline Very Common

Greetings! If you would be so kind as to price the following books, I would greatly appreciate it:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (binding)/Alice in Wonderland (front cover) by Lewis Carroll - Thomas Nelson and Sons (London, Edinburgh, Dublin, and New York - 1913 - cover titles in gold lettering, cover picture of Alice getting advice from the caterpillar, green cloth hardcover, 160 pp, eight color plates with description and number "1,328" at bottom left of each, fair-good condition.

God's Minute, A Book of 365 Daily Prayers Sixty Seconds Long For Home Worship - no date or publisher, brown cloth hard cover, very small in size--approximately 4" x 5", 382 pp long, likely missing a few pages, poor condition.

Animal Stories, and Other Stories - The Mother Goose Series, A. L. Burt Company, New York - ("Price 65 Cents per Copy"), many illustrations in mezzotints, no date, green cloth hard cover with illustrations and color plate by I. Watson Davis (?), fair condition

A Child's Life of Christ - Altemus' Young People's Library, "with Thirty-Three Illustrations - Copyright 1899 by Henry Altemus - Philadelphia - Henry Altemus Company" - four color plates by "Mc B" (?), various black and white illustrations (some say "Copyright, 1904, by Henry Altemus"), 196 pp plus an additional 16 page section on other Altemus publications ("40 cents each" or "Price, per Volume, 50c." for Cloth, Illustrated), fair condition.

Stalky and Company (binding)/Stalky & Co. (Title page) by Rudyard Kipling, Doubleday Page & Company, Garden City - New York, 1915 - The Pocket Kipling, Copyright 1897, 1898, 1899, "To Cormell Price" - "Head-Master, United Services College, Westward Ho, Bideford, North Devon, 1874-1894" - red leather bound with gold inlay of elephant within a circle on front and title/author/publisher with decorative inlay on binding all gold, 310 pp, fair-good condition

Marpessa, Flowers of Parnasus--III, "by Stephen Phillips with Illustrations by Philip Connard" - "John Lane: Publisher" - London and New York, MDCCCCII - green leather bound with gold decorative inlay and titling on front and binding (title/author/publisher etc.), seven illustrations, "A Series of Famous Poems Illustrated" - "Demy 16mo. (51/2 X 41/2), gilt top" - "Price 1/6 net Bound in Leather Price 75 cents net" - a waxy paper separation in front, 46 pp (not including additional pages for list of available publications), good condition

Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, Flowers of Parnasus, "Rendered into English Verse by Edward Fitzgerald with Illustrations by Herbert Cole" - "London: John Lane, The Bodley Head" - "New York: John Lane Company. MCMVII" - "Wm. Clowes & Sons, Limited, Printers, London." - green leather bound with gold decorative inlay and titling on front and binding (title/author/publisher etc.), nine illustrations, "A Series of Famous Poems Illustrated" (Vol. IX.) - "Under the general Editorship of Francis Coutts" - "Size 51/2 X 41/2 inches, gilt top" - "Bound in Leather Price 1/6 net" - 76 pp (not including additional pages for list of available publications), fair-good condition

Romeo and Juliet - "The Temple Shakespeare" - Tenth Edition, 1902 - "With kind permission of Messrs Macmillan & Co. and W. Aldis Wright, Esq., the text here used is that of the "Cambridge" Edition" - mezzotint on watercolor type paper of "Clopton Bridge, Stratford on Avon" - Sonnet CXVI written on a waxy paper separation then a decorative page detailing as follows - "Shakespeare's Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet" - "with Preface Glossary & by Israel Gollancz M.A." - "London: Published by J.M. Dent and Co.: Aldine House W.C.: MCMII" - red leather bound with gold inlay of eagle/dragon holding scepter above a crest and gold decorative inlay and titling on binding side - similar eagle/crest design in color on inside cover with the words "Non Sans Droict" below, back inside cover has slightly different design of eagle/scepter standing on a helmet of armour and crest also with "Non Sans Droict" below, but in a ribbon - 159 pp (including Preface, Play, Glossary, and Notes), "Turnbull & Spears, Printers, Edinburgh." at the end, page marker attached, good condition

The Casquet of Gems - Nimmo's Popular Poets (Illuminated Title-page, gorgeous floral decorative design with color and gold detailing, four different birds within the four corners surrounding this phrase) - Choice Selections from the Poets - William P. Nimmo - London, 14 King William Street, Strand, and Edinburgh. 1877 - elegantly bound in red cloth with decorative red, black and gold inlay design of what looks to be oak leaves with acorns and harps - printed on toned paper, gold/gilt edges, "numerous full-page Illustrations on Wood, from designs by eminent Artists" - 717 pp, plus a section of 16 additional pages for "A Selection from Catalogue of Popular and Standard Books Published by William P. Nimmo, London and Edinburgh" - good condition

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter. I look forward to hearing from you! -- Adele

Morfahim is offline Very Common

I have an old German (1902) edition Homers Ilias by Paul Cauer. Could you tell me the worth of these??.

gvnaigvnai is offline Very Common

I have a book i dont know the date of it
    its called the london illustrated spelling book
    its price at the time of publishing is One Shilling
    theres a signature and date inside that reads "Lydia Greenwood August 29th 1862"

if you can find a price for this book it woul be much appreciated the book is in near mint condition no damage to the cover spine or pages

margalit727 is offline Very Common

I am also curious about some very old books I have. They are a 4 volume set of the works of Alexander Pope, published in 1805, 1805, 1806 and 1807. They are small books- leather bindings, gilt edge paper. The leather is very dried out (we live in a very dry climate) but they have been well protected. Any ideas?

Lynda99 is offline Very Common

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. I have some old books from the 1800s in my possession passed down from my mom. I'm wondering if they have any significant value. The titles are:

Avalon by Dora Stewart-Menteath 1894
    The Domestic Affections and Other Poems by Felicia Hemmend 1843
    St. Mark's Rest, The HIstory of Venice by John Ruskin 1884
    Lionel Lincoln or the Leaguer of Boston by JF Cooper 1832

Does anyone know anything about these books? Many thanks for your assistance.

Collecctor2112 is offline Very Common

hi. I have a couple old books that I'd like to see if they have any value. can anyone out there help?

scorvol is offline Very Common

Does any of this has value:

Таблица1Код Year Title Author Extra Publisher ISBN
    1 1972 1973 GMC Truck Service Manual
    series 1500 thru 3500

2 0 National Portrait Gallery Every A Duyckinck Vol I. New York: Johnson, Fry & Company

3 0 National Portrait Gallery Every A Duyckinck Vol II. New York: Johnson, Fry & Company

4 1959 1958 Advance National Service Data

5 1959 1959 Motor's Auto Repair Manual
    22nd edition, Second printing Motor

6 1963 1963 Motor's Auto Repair Manual
    26th edition Motor

7 1957 1957 Motor's Auto Repair Manual
    20th edition Motor

8 1958 1958 Motor's Flat Rate & Parts Manual
    30th edition Motor

9 1923 The Little Minister Barrie copyr.

10 0 Robinson's Progressive Table Book ed. D. W. Fish, A.M. for young children Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co

11 0 Rosamond Mary J Holmes
    W.B.Conkey Company

12 0 The Destruction of St.Pierre and St.Vincent and …

13 1917 Practical Electricity Part I Terrel Croft First edition, Ninth Impression McGraw-Hill Book Company

Fox's Book Of Martyrs
    Franklin edition, Illustrated

15 1918 Collar and Daniell's First Year Latin ed. Thornton Jenkins New York edition Ginn and Company

The Sign of The Ram Margaret Ferguson
    Blakiston

Elements of Arithmetic William J Milne
    American Book Company

18 1920 O.Henry Memorial Award 1919 Prize Stories

Doubleday, Page & Company

Signs of his coming and other sermons Harry Black

20 1980 The Book of Shooting for sport and skill ed. Frederick Wilkinson
    Crown Publisers 0-517-54177
    21 1939 Tellers of Tales 100 short stories W.Somerset Maugham A definitive anthology of the short story Doubleday, Doran & Company

22 1925 Elementary Principles of physics Fuller, Brownlee and Baker
    Allyn and Bacon

23 1954 Blue Hurricane F. van Wyck Mason first edition

24 1918 Story Telling for Grade Teachers Cross, Statler
    Bow, Peterson and Company

25 1917 Mistress Anne Temple Bailey
    The Penn Publishing Company

26 0 Multiple Zane Grey
    Grosset & Dunlap

27 1902 The Last American J.A.Mitchell edition de luxe Stokes company

28 1918 The Romance of commerce h.gordon selfridge included note: book from library of theodore edison, som of tomas edision John Lane company

29 1938 The first column and The first forty-nine stories Ernest Hemingway
    Collier & Son

30 1940 For Whom the Bell Tolls Ernest Hemingway
    Collier & Son

31 1950 Rest and pain j. Hilton new and revised edition, boxed J.B.Lippincott Company

32 1929 A farewell to arms Ernest Hemingway
    Collier & Son

33 1903 the works fo edgar allan poe E.A.Poe Raven Edition, vol. I,II,III,V Collier & Son

34 1973 will rogers ketchum
    american heritage

36 1944 Tales of Edgar Allan Poe
    ill. by Fritz Eichenberg Randon House

37 1953 The Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway

Chrarles Scribner's sons

38 1946 Anna Karenina L. Tolstoy trans. Constance Garnett The World Publishing Company

39 1900 The Green Flag and other stories Conan Doyle
    Collier & Son

40 1898 The Great Stone of Sardis Frank Stockton ill. By Peter newell * Harper & Brothers publishers

41 1929 Laughing boy Oliver la Farge
    Literary guild of america

42 1947 Mrs.Mike, The story of katherine mary flannigan Benedict and Nancy Freedman
    Coward-McCann

43 1907 The Shepherd of the Hills Harold Bell Wright ill.F.GrahamCootes A.L.Burt Company

44 0 Last days of pompeii e. Bulwer-Lytton cornell series A.L.Burt Company

45 1961 1961 motor's auto repair manual
    24th edition motor

kisamokichi is offline Very Common

Hello. I have a book that I got from a friend last year. I have to say, its a very good read, and I suggest reading it before your life is over.

The book I have is called "The Persecution of Stephen Strong" by Reverend C. E. Babcock, Ph.D. It was copyrighted in 1908, and I believe this is the first version of the book. It has a red cover with gold lettering. It is in mid-condition, a few of the front blank white pages being half-way ripped from the spine, but still firmly attached. The book feels fragile, but I've read it cover to cover multiple times and it hasn't degraded in condition. I was wondering, how much would a book like this sell for nowadays? I'm not thinking of selling it unless I absolutely have to. I only want to know the price so I know if its a keeper, or something that I can give to my friends to read and pass on to someone else.

kelseybcrazy is offline Very Common

Hey guys. I just bought an old book today and I want to find out when it was published. I'm not looking for a resale price, just a little bit about the history of this thing.
    It's called The Lady of the Decoration, by Fannie Caldwell Macaulay writing as Frances Little, although the book only mentions her as "The Author of the Lady of the Decoration." Publishers Hodder & Stoughton in London, E.C.4. Printed in Great Britain by Hazell, Watson & Viney Ltd. There is no publication date. The latest book mentioned in "Books by the Author of "The Lady of the Decoration" is the 1915 "The House of the Misty Star" but oddly does not include the 1912 "The Lady and Sada San". Her books from 1917, 1922, and 1931 are not listed.
    Gilded top edge. Brown suede softcover stamped with branches and the title in an Oriental style. Standard paperback size. If anything was ever written on the spine it's rubbed away.
    I've looked on several websites but none of the editions I've found match this description! If someone can help me find more information on when this particular volume was published it would be really helpful.

kareyscott1988 is offline Very Common

I cannot tell if my " THE CHILDREN OF DICKENS" by SAMUEL McCHORD CROTHERS is first edition or not. It says copyright 1925, and the cover has no red lining but just dark, the pages are uneven as if it were made my hand and it is illustrated

ALLIRSS is offline Very Common

Quote Originally Posted by sbroucher1010 View Post
    I think they are all valuable. The contemporary authors who were famous at that time, their writing are more valuable. They have thoughts different form us may be something new philosophical things available form those which are very valuable.
    Hi missmitch!!

I am in search for any original books on personal development, psychology and business from the 1800's and 1900's!! Specifically,

"What Life Should Mean to You" by Alfred Adler

Do you have any books in these areas or the book I'm looking for specifically?

tony hutchins is offline Very Common

Hello hold on to that Avalon I think it is really very rare - as all reproduced copies are based on a Cornell University scan from about 2010 which has about 100 blank pages

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda99 View Post
    Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. I have some old books from the 1800s in my possession passed down from my mom. I'm wondering if they have any significant value. The titles are:

tony hutchins is offline Very Common

The Avalon is pretty rare. I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda99 View Post