+ Reply to Thread
    Zuckerton is offline Very Common

Default Worlds of Wonder Action Max

I have an Action Max from 1987. It has the power supply, the sensor, the gun and I believe I have the headset around here somewhere. I checked in the Game Systems section, but they don't have this system listed. Does anyone know how rare this system is?

The system works.

tekaotaku is offline Common

Default Re: Worlds of Wonder Action Max

Hi

Unfortunately your not going to get rich by a long shot. The system itself is more of a curiosity from the 80's. Toy manufactures had a short lived fascination with trying to create interactive "video games" (used in the loosest of terms) but the home technology just wasn't there.

Devices like the Action Max connect to a VCR, you then use the device, with the light gun, to play an non-interactive video tape. On this tape will be various "games" where you shoot on the screen and the Action Max will register a hit and award a point. Once you got to the end of the video tape it would stop, rewind and you started the whole process again. A number of games/tapes were released

Blue Thunder
    The Rescue of Pops Ghostly

amongst others

It wasn't the first time video tapes where attempted to be used in video games, an unreleased system called the NEMO used video tapes for storage, and is actually where the computer game "Night Trap" by digital pictures first got seen. This was of course unreleased and you wouldn't see Night Trap until the release of the cd based systems such as The Sega Mega CD, 3DO etc
    The toy line "Captain power and the soldiers of the future" also had a spin off toy where you could use a toy ship as a light gun and score points shooting a series of crafts on video tape.

Sorry, old computer systems is a passion of mine...so price:

About £10/$15 boxed complete and around £5/$7 unboxed. This system was released in the UK about 5 years ago in bargain basement shops for £15 with most of the games. eBay is also full of the systems at ridicules prices, trying to pass them off a s "rare retro consoles". I would say keep it, forget about it and if you stumble across it again in another 10+ years see what the market is like.

Zuckerton is offline Very Common

Default Re: Worlds of Wonder Action Max

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be looking to "Get Rich" off of it as I am a Collector of video games systems. I own 26 consoles and 11 handhelds.

I'd say the most expensive thing I own would be an unopened Bally Astrocade.