Many years ago, I found a palm sized book: Alfieri's "Fillipo" at a goodwill, I could immediately tell it was an antique, very old. It looks like it was published at the turn of the century or just earlier. Its leather-bound spine reads "Alferi's Tragedies" (note that Alfieri is spelled incorrectly, but not sure if it's purposely "anglicized" for American readers. Upon opening the book the entire book is in Italian, the inner cover reads the name of the publishing co. in very small print: Murphy & Co., Publishers, Baltimore, MD. In what has to be size 5 font, it says "importers of foreign books" -- so, this leads me to believe that the book was not published by Murphy & Co., Printers & Publishers, but by some foreign printer. The cover is still intact but the spine is falling apart, and, unfortunately held together with four pieces of scotch tape :/ by whoever owned it previously. I looked through it but cannot find a publishing date.

I am aware of the history of Baltimore, MD publisher John Murphy in connection to Pius IX., who, in 1855 "conferred upon the publisher the honorary title of printer to the pope," according to John Murphy

I also am aware that in 1788-89 Alfieri supervised the printing of a complete edition of his tragedies by the Didot family.
Vittorio Alfieri - tragedies, published, found, life and left

Maybe this helps, or not. If I get a response I will upload an image of this palm-sized book