+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Default Am I pricey or duped?

What does Rarity Guide think of my prices for antiques and antiquities listed at
    craftsofthepast on Artfire.com

I am dispersing my 40 years old collection of antique and ancient amulets, seals, beads, etc. for financial reasons. I don't want to over-price them, but still I don't want to give them away. What do you think?
    Anna Crafts of the Past

FrogPondFinds is offline Common

Default Re: Am I pricey or duped?

Basically when it comes to something like this. Don't put emotional values on items in your collection. If it has much sentimental value/idea behind it, you might want to just keep it. But when you are a collector, (I encounter this problem myself!) Its hard not to be emotionally attached to everything. Basically what I am saying is do your research into the values of things in your collection, and even if something SHOULD be worth a lot of money, if you find in your research it isn't don't try to push that on your potential buyers.

And I know how it feels to have to end up selling things you love for financial reasons. But I guess it comes down to one thing.
    Food/Shelter Over Trinkets and Baubles.

This of course is just advice, end of the day you can do whatever you want, but I find that if you continue to hang onto things and your being cluttered up, its much harder to let go. And as far as pricing goes, like I said do your research, and develop fair prices, be willing to negotiate, the moment you mention the word "FIRM", many people just shut down and don't want to bite.

FrogPondFinds is offline Common

Basically when it comes to something like this. Don't put emotional values on items in your collection. If it has much sentimental value/idea behind it, you might want to just keep it. But when you are a collector, (I encounter this problem myself!) Its hard not to be emotionally attached to everything. Basically what I am saying is do your research into the values of things in your collection, and even if something SHOULD be worth a lot of money, if you find in your research it isn't don't try to push that on your potential buyers.

And I know how it feels to have to end up selling things you love for financial reasons. But I guess it comes down to one thing.
    Food/Shelter Over Trinkets and Baubles.

This of course is just advice, end of the day you can do whatever you want, but I find that if you continue to hang onto things and your being cluttered up, its much harder to let go. And as far as pricing goes, like I said do your research, and develop fair prices, be willing to negotiate, the moment you mention the word "FIRM", many people just shut down and don't want to bite.

Blog Entries

Thank you for your reply. I have done more market testing than having things appraised. They are appraised way beyond what people are willing to pay nowadays, unfortunately. I don't think I have gone overboard on this item, for example, in either direction. I can always come down if necessary
    Turkoman Amulet with Prayers Silver Gold Wash Western Yomud | craftsofthepast - Jewelry on ArtFire

Suzanne is offline Very Common

Default Re: Am I pricey or duped? Your photos are b

Your photos are beautiful and you have the authority and knowledge to set reasonable prices on your things. You don't have to negotiate with items of this quality and you don't have to offer bargain prices. They won't sell any better unless you are willing to take huge cuts. I think the problem lies with the venues you have chosen. It is true that not many people can afford these items and that you collection is specialized, so you need to go where potential buyers congregate. These items probably belong at a fine arts show or at a specialized high-end gallery or auction house in an urban area. (Have you seen what the wholesale or consignment price is from the best galleries in your field? ) If you need to take a loss on a few of them to raise money, try Ebay. Start at the low end of what you expect; do not use a hidden minimum, it is just irritating to buyers. You might also look at Ruby Lane, which seems to have more traffic. We have been selling antiquarian children's books on Abebooks and our own website, since 1994.