+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Label variants

Dice Label variants

I recently came across a thread by a fellow member stating he had come in possesion of a Mario/ duck hunt cart for nes with a different label layout. After reading and scouring my own collection I too have one. The layout has the nintendo logo in a different spot and no nintendo seal of quality. I haven't found any info at all on this, and not able to post pictures the best I can do is visiting "nes oddities 7 " website. If anyone can offer anything to me I'd appreciate it. I would just like to find out if it's rare or not, worth more or , I don't believe it to be but maybe pirated? Everything else about the cart is the same, screws, copyright, made in, year, warnings and maintaince, ect. Thanks everyone! (power to the playas)

BlackDS is offline Scarce

Default Re: Label variants

Could you provide a picture? It sounds like a pirated copy to me, but the other one wasn't, so I don't know.

eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

Here's a pick

The only other info I've turned up is a theory that is the Canadian version. Which sounds like non-sense to me.

Got mine today, cleaned it up and popped it in, Nothing Special just SMB/DH.
    Back side appears to be normal NES As well. Just the label is odd.

Anyone? *Bump*

Quantum is offline Uncommon

Default Re: NES Label variants

I own the version with the seal of quality on it, but I've seen the other version around that well. Not sure why its different or where it came from but I think its just another version and I dont think it is worth anything out of the extraordinary.

I got another one in a 2 part shipment today, I'm thinking these may have been packaged with the NES before the implementation of the seal.

Well two things are different, the First Cart used the standard Safety Screws and the internal cartridge Did not have full Size chips but rather Black Pouch like covers for the chips.

The Second cartridge I received today, has the Round Flat head type screws used in the NES 5-Screw Cases and the Circuit board inside has the standard NES Microchips.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws but seems a bit unusual.

I don't know much about the screws and such(still learning) but on the back of BOTH of my cats show three screws all the same in a triangle pattern, one in middle and two in bottom sides. Everything is exactly the same other than label, everything on back is the same copyright year, warnings ect. I haven't been successful in finding anything anything more on this. My only two theories could be #1. One cart might have been boxed in with a system and the other might have been sold seperatly as a multiple-cart. #2. (most believable) maybe with growing popularity nintendo couldn't meet the game needs manufacturing, and "sub-contracted" it out, therefore not being able to put the "official" nintendo seal of quality on it. I don't know. Still curious, keep me in the loop. Thanks. Power to the playas'!

k0diak314 is offline Very Common

Quote Originally Posted by AgentRetro79 View Post
    I don't know much about the screws and such(still learning) but on the back of BOTH of my cats show three screws all the same in a triangle pattern, one in middle and two in bottom sides. Everything is exactly the same other than label, everything on back is the same copyright year, warnings ect. I haven't been successful in finding anything anything more on this. My only two theories could be #1. One cart might have been boxed in with a system and the other might have been sold seperatly as a multiple-cart. #2. (most believable) maybe with growing popularity nintendo couldn't meet the game needs manufacturing, and "sub-contracted" it out, therefore not being able to put the "official" nintendo seal of quality on it. I don't know. Still curious, keep me in the loop. Thanks. Power to the playas'!
    On my list there are two SMB/DH variants...one with and one without the seal. You can also find SMB/DH/World Class TM with the same variation.

Some games come in three versions.

A really good example is 1942...a 5 screw, a three screw with an oval seal or a three screw with a round seal.

My general rue of thumb is 5 screw = older release. When I am surfing through carts I look at the tops first to find the "tab less" ones first.....I also look for color variation etc.....

SMB3 actually comes in two variations also....the word "Bros." on the cart is in two different spots....and that is not even noticed most of the time.

K0diak314
    Last edited by k0diak314; 11-08-2009 at 02:45 PM.

SMB3 actually comes in two variations also....the word "Bros." on the cart is in two different spots....and that not even noticed most of the time.
    Very Cool, can you post some pics?

Quote Originally Posted by eliphas0 View Post
    Very Cool, can you post some pics?
    I uploaded a short video on YouTube earlier today showing the label differences so if you want please take a look and see.

Super Mario Bros 3 label differences

Noticed the "Bros" placement difference immediately. Thanks for posting.

Noticed the "Bros" placement difference immediately. Thanks for posting.
    Now I have to find out if its common or rare...the variation I mean.....I cant seem to find it online....say on here or RF Generation's list etc....

I also look for the 5 Screw games, have you found any proof of increased value, They sell for fairly cheap unless its something like Megaman.

I also look for the 5 Screw games, have you found any proof of increased value, They sell for fairly cheap unless its something like Megaman.

I cant find out why there are two SMB3 labels.....Im uploading a video right now showing the subtle differences they have internally.