+ Reply to Thread
    chipmunksmtw is offline Very Common

Default How to become a pokemon breeder?

how to become a pokemon breeder in Platinum / Pearl/ Diamond/ SS /HG ?

oxybe is offline Very Common

Default Re: How to become a pokemon breeder?

the short answer: have access to the daycare

the long answer?

know about IVs. IVs, individual values, are effectively a mon's unique genetic makeup that determines a bonus to a stat between 0-31. this is a hidden value the player has only a minuscule amount of control over and will result in that value added to the final value of the stat. the game does hint at your highest IV using it's characteristic. so if it states that your mon "Likes to thrash about", you know that it's highest IV is it's attack value.

1) first order is to get one of each EV-enhancing items.

in HG/SS these give the mon holding it a 50% chance of passing the appropriate IV to it's kid.

2) another item is the Everstone, which can allow a parent to pass down it's nature (Adamant, Mild, Modest, etc... the +/- 10% ability mods) to it's kid.

3) for later EV training, get a mon with the pokerus virus for easier EV training. i'll get to that later.

to get an idea of what i personally did, i'll give an example:

1) my (male)Dragonite has an attack IV of 25. it's pretty high, but could be better and since i'm not too fussy about IVs, but i wanted to get a good, solid Garchomp to punch people with.

2)i grabbed a (female)Gibbile and dropped her & my (male)Dragonite, equipped with the power bracer off to the daycare.

this will result in eventually breeding a (female)gibble of a random nature with a 25 attack IV. to know if you have the IV, go in a level 100 battle with a buddy, jot down the stat and you can use an IV calculator to find out what iv is based on it's 0EV & nature.

3)i then give this female gibble the power bracer, equip the dragonite with the everstone and this way i can almost assuredly get a baby with a 25attack IV and an Adamant nature.

4) at this point what i could do is keep breeding until i notice that the highest characteristic is not it's attack but anything else and breed this value into the child until the grandchild has a higher attack value. hard to understand? i'll explain:

i) Dragonite (power bracer) + gibble 1 = gibble 2 with 25 attack IV.
    ii) gibble 2 (power bracer)+anything (nothing equipped) = gibble 3 has an IV over 25
    iii) gibble 3 (stat appropriate item) + anything (nothing equipped) = gibble 4 with an even higher attack IV
    iv) gibble 4 (power bracer)+...

you get the point. repeat until you get a 31 in your needed IV.

you will probably need to keep checking the IV calculator via a level 100 battle just to double-check though. this is the most control the player has over an IV.
    once i had my gibble with the 25 IV, i had it get infected with the pokerus & leveled it to about 20 in the daycare then started EV training. psypokes has a great location guide for EV training.

the pokerus is a random occurance, but a very helpful one. a few things of note:
    -when infected, and when it passes, the pokemon will gain double EV points from then on. much easier to train him
    -it is found randomly on mons you fight and getting hit has a possiblity of transferring it to your lead mon
    -if you have a "sick" mon on your party there is a chance of passing the virus to any one who's yet to have it after a fight.
    -the virus only lasts 2-3 days tops, with it's chance to be removed after every new day
    -being in a pokebox stops this clock

this means that once you randomly contract it, you can breed a bunch of "carriers", fight with them in the party until they get sick and then simply stuff them in a pokebox. they'll never lose the virus and you'll have a ready supply of 2x EV gain!

a single goldeen (1 attk EV) can give up to 10 points on my pokerus infected (double EV gain) gibble + power bracer (+4 attk EV after a fight it gains XP).

it's a bit complicated at first, but once you know what you're doing it's not that hard, just a potentially long process if you're really fussy about getting a 31 IV in anything.

hope this helps! if you need clarification, just ask. english is my second language so i do sometimes have a hard time making my point across.

chipmunksmtw is offline Very Common

thank you very much
    can i ask one more thing?
    how can i see my pokemon's IV?

oxybe is offline Very Common

Quote Originally Posted by chipmunksmtw View Post
    thank you very much
    can i ask one more thing?
    how can i see my pokemon's IV?
    Individiual Values and Effort Values, quite like DNA, are hidden stats that were initially found out by looking at the code of the game, so there is little to no actual indication on actual stat past opening up a webtool, like the IV calculator, and punching in numbers and hoping it spits out good news.

it's kinda sad that these values remain so very well hidden, but whatcha gonna do?

well, other then exploit them

also a bit more on EVs: these hidden stats give one extra point of stat (endgame) for each 4 points invested in them. so a gibble with 124 attack EV will have 31 extra attack by level 100, compared to one with the same IV & nature who didn't. EVs max out at 255 per stat and a mon can only have up to 510 EV, max. this will often lead people to generally spread their EVs in a 4/252/252 (so an end game total of+1/+63/+63) pattern. you do find other spreads but this is the most common one.

to give an example of how IVs, EVs and Natures affect a stat, a level 100 dragonite with an attack IV of 0, an attack EV of 0 and a attack neutral nature should have an attack of 273. it's an ok number, but nothing special to write home about.

my level 100 dragonite with an attack iv of 25, an attack ev of 252 and adamant nature (+attack/-sp.attack) has an attack value of 397. so you can kinda see why people like to exploit these things a wee bit.

also: natures and what stats they modify