+ Reply to Thread
    chronodev is offline Founder

Default NES Kirby's Adventure review

We've posted a review on Kirby's adventure in our articles section

----------------------------------------------------

Intro

Kirby is everyone’s favorite marshmallow. He really looks like one … or a ball of fluff (isn’t that someone else?). Kirby’s Adventure was one of the last games I bought from Kay Bee Toys before they went under some time later. While I’d played Kirby on the Gameboy, I was curious how he would look on the TV screen and in full color opposed to the very limited grey scale of the Gameboy. So, recently I returned to this game after a VERY long time of not playing it. Thinking of the days and games I couldn’t just hop on the internet and get tips of where to find things or solve the last problem. While I’ve beaten the game, I noticed my best file was 96% and couldn’t help but remember all the time I put into trying to get the final bits of percentage and not being able to pull it off.

Story

King Dedede is up to no good again. This time, he’s stolen the Star Rod from the fountain of dreams, unleashing Nightmares upon everyone in Dream Land. Kirby, the hero of Dream Land, sets off immediately to catch Dedede and return everything to rights.

Gameplay

This is a game made to be easy to play, somewhat challenging for anyone (if only in ferreting out secrets) but widely appealing. Aside from issues directly with the controller, the game play felt fluid and right. Kirby was jumping, sliding, floating and bouncing around Dream Land just as I envisioned. The game itself tracks your over all progress through the saves, showing you your exact percentage in terms of game completion. The doors of the levels themselves help a lot, as the completed levels get white doors with a flag while the incomplete levels, those who still have secrets to be found, remain showing as their default brown shade. At the end of each stage, Kirby falls onto a small Sling shot, and depending on when you press A, Kirby will either land low or high up on the tiers, with Tier 1 getting you a 1-up and all the others adding to your score.
    There are numerous mini-games as well for Kirby to play through. The Crane game works like any skill crane, with big Kirbys worth 2 lives and small Kirbys worth one life. The shoot-out mini-game focuses purely on reflex, as to who’s got the quicker reaction. Set and done in the Old Western style, it’s a nice, quick little diversion from the main game. The Arena is a great way to get powers, letting you easily get a power to use in a different level. Many of these games reward you with lives, making it easy to keep playing in spite of what could be a challenging level, as it’s very easy to achieve the max number of lives and keep it.

Read the full review here:
    Kirby Flies high on the NES!
    chronodev
    Founder, RarityGuide.com
    "We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin & Hobbes

kangaroo is offline Uncommon

Default Re: NES Kirby's Adventure review

I did enjoy playing this game a lot as a kid