+ Reply to Thread
    seba1983 Guest

Default Elementals for the new extended

Elementals have always been majorly underrated. They are good enough to win a hand full of vintage tournaments.

Lets look at the bare facts.

Elementals are spread across all colors. Usualy that tends to be a problem but elementals turn it into an advantage. Your non-creature spells are pined onto creatures thanks to evoke. So ancient zigurat is a source of 5-color mana. They have thier own 5-color land andof course reflecting pool + vivid lands. If you still doupt the mana base i just have one card for you smokebraider.

This leads nicely to the 2nd point. Plays that look like vintage but were made in standard. Stuff like turn 3 evoke 2 mulldrifter and the like. the early ramp elementals can muster is dazling. turn 3 5-6 mana is actualy fairly common.

lategame power. this is an important factor with decks like 5-color control and more importantly faeries sure to be dominant decks. horde of notion is you key player here. even without its activated ability this guy is a beast. at 5 mana you get a 5/5 vigilance, trample, haste ... not good enough ? how about for 5 mana reanimate or evoke any of the critters in your grave ... thats lategame dominance for you.

considering that the deck was highly underplayed in standard it had serious success when you see it relative to the amount it was played.

so now there is zendikar block to consider. what do elementals gain that make the deck better ?

there are some interesting options:

Wolfbriar Elemental - you can produce almost insane amounts of mana. this card at the right moment can be "you have cryptic command? no? i win ..." but the question is as always does it make the deck better ?

Magmaw - this could be a decent fae-bane. with horde of notion it teams well.

Obsidian Fireheart - with several dekcs in the format that have a prety slow clock this could very well be a decent weapon of attrition.

Vengevine - this card is quite powerful in itself. i doubt though that its very aggressive direction does not realy fit the decks style?

Tideforce Elemental - turn 4 something like 10 mana ... hmm nice. is it worth it ? it does mean that you can cast wolfbrair elemental with 6 wolves ... thats 16 power from 7 creatures ... hmm what do you think ?

that about all elemental i feel are worth considering.

in case you never played with or against elementals here are some decklists. take a minute or 2 to read the cards an take in all the interaction these cards have. for instance revelark in grave + horde of notion + 2 elementals with power 2 or less is reanimate 2 for 5 mana. you can cast nameless inversion any number of times for 5 mana with hord of notion. ranger of eos picks up 2 flamekin harbingers that each find another elemental etc.

Elementals :: David Glore | DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

i hope you have some input of what to do with the deck for the new extended. seriously i love playing control but i love playing the unexpeceted underdog more than anything so faeries and 5-color control are not my first choice. elemental are fun and often suprise opponents and onlookers with amazing plays. that alone will make for very enjoyable games. since im not planing on any ptqs or the like just some FNM with this that is worth as much as winning all the time. even though when played right and with a little bit of luck this deck can do that too ^^

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Elementals for the new extended

thanks a lot for 0 feedback ... i guess i should just do the same and give no feedback to other peoples threads too.

@ mod & admin i guess you can get rid of all subforums other than lern to play and rules questions. perhaps add a subforum for news. if i stop answering the posts in the other subforum they will no longer be worth it.

so yeah tahnks again to all of you for repaying the favour ...

seriously disapointed ... again !

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I read your post this morning and didn't have time to post what I thought about it.

I personally don't think that Elementals have the push to get there with all the other good viable decks available. The only Elemental worth playing that I really see is Vengevine and that is just because he has some type of recursion plan that actually makes him worth playing.

As for the deck you linked on deckcheck I think that looks interesting since there are enough low cost elementals to keep up with some of the more aggro intensive decks.

Me personally I have been looking at G/W deck that runs Wilt-Leaf Leige........ though the elemental deck you posted does look interesting as well.

Most of my feedback though means very little since I missed the other blocks in the new extended format.....

seba1983 Guest

kappu if your going to play the new extended make sure to check out these decks because they will be major players:

Faeries Decks | DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

most likely the top deck of the new extended

Cruel Control Decks | DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

B/W Aggro Decks | DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

Geno is offline Very Common

Seba, I run an elemental deck that I made starting with the pre-made one. Gettin smokebraiders out quick is so nice. Once you can get them out everything else just starts flowing out. The Horde of Notions are great to have. Love using them in conjunction with Nova Chaser. Just wish I could give him haste. Right now I can't think to much of what I have in the deck.

seba1983 Guest

dont realy like nova chaser in this particular build. its too agro for the deck. if i was playing something like r/g elementals he'd be a 4-of no questions asked but not here.

Geno is offline Very Common

The deck still needs some fixing, but right now I am running 4 of them. Have Harbingers in the deck to search for them and Incadescent Soulstokes so I can haste them into play. The one thing I want to add a few more of to the deck is, Ashenmoore Leige.

I think elementals would be great to try with Momentary Blink. Many of them have enter the battlefield abilities (Mulldrifting/Shriekmaw, looking at you) that would be great with repeated.

I'm thinking 3 color Lark control is a possibility. Lark also got some good walls (Mnemonic Wall, Wall of Omens) to use so I expect someone to try Lark in the new Extended.

seba1983 Guest

you dont need blink you have hord of notion ... you can evoke them from the grave again and again ....