+ Reply to Thread
    pho
    pho is offline Very Common

Default Need Advice| Mono Black Control Legacy

I'm updating my deck now that I have the cash. Please critic, and I need some advice on a sideboard.

Land:
    20 Swamp
    4 Cabal Coffers

Creatures:
    4 Nantuko Shade
    4 Hypnotic Specter
    3 Guilt Feeder

Spells:
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Duress
    4 Corrupt
    4 Diabolic Tutor
    3 Mutilate
    2 Persecute

Artifact:
    4 The Rack

Now, I'm thinking maybe drop 1 Mutilate and 1 Guilt Feeder for 2 more swamps? I did a few play tests, but I don't have The Rack or the Hypnotic Specters yet (replaced with Megrim/Ravenous Rats temporarily). Nantuko Shade pumping with Cabal Coffers is pretty ridiculous. Also, is Dark Ritual restricted in Legacy format? If not, what should I shuffle around to make room for it? I also need some help on a sideboard. Thanks.

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Need Advice| Mono Black Control Legacy

First off let me say MBC was realy good in extended (invasion-whatever that was ^^) but never realy trancended to legacy. its playable but realy a good way off the top tiers.

that does not mean it can't or won't win. it just means that its not played a lot and when it is beeing played its not been very successful.

what you have there is a pretty classic MBC list. well appart from the guilt feeder. the card is realy fun and can win games, yes. is it powerful enough in most situations to make it legacy strong ? i would say no.

what i'm realy missing on the other hand are dark confidants. if budget is realy tight at least phyrexian arena.

diablolic tutor is too slow and too mana intensive for legacy. it will sit dead in yur hand for turns on end. yes you have the coffers but the argumnt still holds true in legacy. this was not the case in extended.

persecute again is a little too slow in legacy and with a highly divers meta with lots of mulitycolored decks not nearly as effective as it should be.

corrupt is a viable kill con but again dead for a long time. as the deck stands now its too slow. you can keep them if you speed the rest of the deck.

dark ritual is not a good way to do this by the way. control does not want a card that will almost always be dead lategame.

4 shades is a little over the top 3 would do. same goes for the cabal coffers. if you cut a coffers a single volrath stronghold might be viable but it actualy lacks much synergy in this deck.

here are some cards i would consider. some might be out of the question because of budget or because they push the deck too much into a direction you dont want to go (or both ^^):

innocent blood - its your turn 1 solution to goblin lacky and trust me you want to have that.

diablolic eddict - slower than the blood and hence not a solid defence vs. lacky but still strong and better in the mid to late game once you droped something onto the battlefield too.

thoughtszeie - in legacy its suppirior to duress almost all the time. beeing ablte to take away a tarmogoyf is just so good.

sinkhole - on its own its a bit random. it would want some backup. wasteland + tomb of yagmoth at least. you will not mana screw but there are a lot of very mighty lands in legacy and with the number of tri or 4 colored decks you can color screw a lot. if you choose to add 4 smallpox an 2-4 pox you have a very solid control variant there (öhhhm its called pox). its a special mono-black control but one that had a lot more success than classic MBC. if you want to try this direction some jitte are called for as well.

poweder keg / nevrials disk / oblivion stone - there are gamebreaking encahntments in legacy and these are pretty much your only options of takeing them down. they help with lots of other things too and a very very playable in MBC.

smother - if you care for some spot removal this is the weapon of choice for legacy. stuff like snuffout is very good too but then you pretty much into mono-black suicide already.

extipate - looks like pure sideboard tech but in realiety this card is almost always mighty. not a 4-off main mighty but 2 for instance a playable mainboard.

nyxathid, tombstalker, vampire nighthawk - these would take the deck more into an agro-control direction but it is viable. the version with green (almost only for tarmogoyf) is called eva-green and has been pretty succcessful.

gatekeeper / shrikemaw - removal on a stick. if you want to doversify your killcons and add synergy for volrath stronghold these are you best candidates.

fulminator mage - if you want to go for more high synergy with volrath stronghold he's your man.

damnnation - black wrath of god ... nothing much to say here.

staff of dominion - hey your playing with cabal coffers. also this points into the direction of another MBC variant that has been more succcessful than the calssic version. its called "train wreck" and is simply put staff + helldozer in a pretty classic MBC shell.

consume spirit - thanks to coffers this can be bigger than corrupt.

chainers eddict - it kind of offers card advantage.

sign in blood - not seen it played a lot but its vaiable ... dont forget you can use it as a black shock on your opponent ^^

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - should be an auto include with coffers IMO. makes running 4 coffers better too. 2-4 depending on your preference. makes you a little more wasteland prone but allowes you to play wasteland yourself too.

haunting echos - this card can devastate. if you want to keep the deck in a discard orianteted direktion i would add at least 1 of these if not even 2.

mind sludge - if you like to keep your pesecute give these a try too. they are even slower, yes but with coffers + tomb can be turn 4 discard 4. that is a lot more devastating than persecute will be in over 90% of all cases.

skeletal scying - another playable card draw if you want some

Contamnation + bitterblossom - if you want to add a nice little lockdown element to your deck try this. if you get it on the board most decks will have to scoop.

pheeew ... i hope your still reading. as you can see ther is not one fixed, best MBC in legacy but several diffrent angels and aproches. i dont know what your budget looks like or what you prefer so just pick, mix and playtest.

if you also want some general point on sideboard let me know otherwise i will gladly help once the mainboard is setteled on.

pho

This is exactly what I need. Been out of the loop for a while and there are some interesting new cards out there that I didn't know about. I will look over it more in depth when I have time tomorrow. Just glancing, I know have Diabloic Eddict, Powder Keg, Phyrexian Arena, Contamination, Haunting Echos.

I like the Pox idea but are the Wastelands/Sinkholes required? I don't think I can afford them =(

Cards that peaked my interest: Thoughtseize, Dark confidant, Extirpate, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Mind sludge. Haven't looked up the prices yet. I'll mix and match dropping the Feeders, Persecute, Corrupt, and Tutors. Opening up 13 cards, and I don't mind dropping one coffer and shade giving me more wiggle room.

pho

Ok, I tightened it up a bit. I like Arena over Dark Confidant. Plus, I don't want to drop 20 on a card. Thoughtseize is amazing, I'll probably reach and get them no matter what. Nyxathid is pretty amazing also.

18 Swamp
    3 Cabal Coffers
    2 Tomb of Yawgmoth

4 Nyxathid
    4 Hynoptic Specter
    3 Nantuko Shade

4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Phyrexian Arena
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Mutilate
    2 Haunting Echos

4 The Rack
    1 Oblivion Stone

Sideboard

Smother
    Damnation
    Eddict
    O Stone

seba1983 Guest

Yeah if you go the pox route you will need wasteland & sinkehole. many players also splash green or white but then you also need them real dual lands so i wont bother going into detail.

as for sideboard:

i've already said something on duress, extipate, haunting echos etc. many mainboard cards in mono blck control are good SB material too.

some other choices of interest could be:

engenired plague - kills goblins, elves, faeries (yes they have bekome a force to be reconed with ^^) etc.

darkblast - utility removal for weeny stuff. reacurable and synergy with volrath stronghold. not that good in most builds though.

ley line of the void - grave hate at its best. several decks hate this card abouve all else.

perish - with the power of tarmogoyf this card is a 3 mana wrath of good against several decks.

pithing needle - generaly fantastic utility. good vs. so many thing.

contaigion - free to cast removal

unmask - free to cast discard

other than that you can also try toying with a transformational SB. your maindeck could be a very classic MBC with lots of removal an hand destruction that transforms into a more landdestruction build with small pox, pox, sinkhole, or you run 2 helldozer, 3 staff of dominion and 4 bessech the queen to switch from calssic to train werck.

all in all its a metagame and preferance choice. let me know how it goes