+ Reply to Thread
    BobLoblaw is offline Common

Default Counter/Control Deck

Is there any sort of deck that can withstand going up against a counter/control deck that aside from land, is probably 90% counters/mind control types, with the rest being shrouded creatures? I can't really think of much that can combat this style while still being versitale enough to play other deck types... I'd prefer not to build something specifically anti-control because that doesn't help much at all outside of the specific situation.

So far, what I've thought of is soemthing like a manland deck (but expensive, and still pretty vaulnerable), a can't-be-countered creature deck (but kind of limited as far as where you can go with that), and then lastly, something like a red or white deck of a bunch of 1 or 2 mana fast hitters that you can continually churn out (which I think would be most versatile, if able to pull it off).

Are there any tips or tricks anyone might have? At very best, all I can think of is essentially a replica of a control style deck with simply more cards in the library, and should a counter/control opponent happen to play, just wait for the opponent to draw out, but that isn't much fun at all.

Any ideas, tips, strategies, combos, anything, would be appreciated. Thanks.

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Counter/Control Deck

cant give you any proper answer if you dont say for what format / play enviroment ...

generaly speaking macig has a rock-paper-scicor princable:

agro beats control - control beats combo - combo beats agro.

now of course that does not always work out. the only formats where control is dominating are legacy from time to time but not always and vintage where control shares the top spot with combo, with agro being almost non existing.

in casual nothing realy ever dominates. you can literaly always build a better deck.

if you tell me the format / play enviroment i can give you at least 10+ decks that will crush a deck made of counters, shroud creatures and mindcontrol effects unless that deck itself is at legacy powerlevel. then i can still give you about 5+ decks that will have a very good winning percentage but will not always crush such a deck .

at the end of the day dont forget that every deck can and will loose sometimes

BobLoblaw is offline Common

I'm just talking friendly (or not so friendly, but rather rage-inducing) games among myself and a few buddies. I guess just casual since we play pretty much whatever cards we feel like. No limits as far as I know outside of we don't play plainswalkers.

Definitely look at City of Solitude or Dosan the Falling Leaf. Each will allow spells to be played on that player's turn. Hive Mind is also a good card and can be paired with Pact spells for the win.