+ Reply to Thread
    Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Default Mono Black Suicide deck tips

A friend of mine is building a mono black suicide deck with cards like Grinning Demon, Dross Harvester, and Phyrexian Negator. Does anyone have suggestions?

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Mono Black Suicide deck tips

ok where do i start ? first off what format ? legacy, vintage or casual ?

generaly speaking sui-black needs 2 things:

1. fast efficaiant creatures and

2. good disruption

1. good choices here are almost all creatuers with power grater than thier cost. keep in mind though that you dont want too many that cost three and non that cost more. grinning deamon is a decent card but for my taste too slow for sui-black. negator should be the end of the curve. sacromancy, carnofage, vampire lacarator are your premium 1-drops. dark confidant is one of the excelent 2 drops that dont have power > cost.

2. this stuff is realy important to make sure you survive long enough to deal the damage. duress, thought sieze, hymn to torach are you discard option alongside hypnotic specter. wasteland and sinkhole for mana / color screwing your opponent. snuffout is an efficaint removal since it does not stop your other cardflow.

last but not least top it off with dark ritual and your good to go

Edit nearly forgot two very good cards for sui. neither is an auto include but they are both very close so you need to think hard why not to play them if you dont: bitterblossom and jitte.

note when you run bitterblossom you can go out and have fun by includein a little combo in your deck by playing contamination. thats almost a hardlock against most other decks

Hello. I made a rarity guide username so I could get in touch with this.

First of all, I am planning to make this my first semi-serious vintage deck. Thank you for the tips. I am seriously rethinking my deck at this point. (I made some changes to it this weekends before reading this, and I kinda screwed it up a little bit, haha.)

Are there any decent substitutes for the confidant, bitterblossom, or jitte? Im a little hard on cash.

Also, I can post a deck list if you want (the most recent, so its pretty bad xD)?

seba1983 Guest

go ahead and post.

however if your a little hard on cash as in jitte bitterblossom & confidant beeing to expensive is vintage realy the best choice ?

i can ask a friend of mine for his deck list (he actualy used to play a lot of tournament vintage). he played sui-black with worldgourger combo with a neat transformational sideboard ... very nice deck but i dont remember the details

here is a sample decklist of a succesful vintage sui-balck deck list:

Mono Black Suicide :: Timo Schünemann | DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

this list is even less kind to your budget though due to lotus, mox, sinkhole and mana crypt ... but for vintage you realy need the spped to compeat ...

very curious to see your list and i hope i can help you with it.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Well from where marco and i are from, we don't play many "professionals" so I think he would be good without the mox and stuff, but I'll leave that choice for him. In fact, we usually play casual.

seba1983 Guest

uhh you dont want to play vintage decks in casual unless everyone knows about it and is ok with it ... the potential turn 1-2 wins otherwise frustrate casual players a lot ... stuff like

swamp, ritual, ritual, burried alive -> worldgouger, worldgouger + any other creature, animate dead, drain life for infinate .... thats what vintage decks can and will do if the other players are not prepared for vintage ...

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

No, what i'm trying to say is I think he wants a deck for casual. We haven't really played any serious vintage decks, so we don't know AMAZING yet...

seba1983 Guest

the bad thing about vntage is the price ...

the fantastic thing is that every deck can do amazingly powerful stuff so its a very strategic game ... stop what the opponent does is often much more important than doing something yourself ... its a bit of a high-noon situation .. all about who draws faster and who keeps his nerves.

the best cards in vintage are not the power 9 they are cards like force of will, duress, null rod etc. thats the reason real vintage matches almost never do turn 1 combos ... funny how a format becomes very controling / disrupting out of neccesety ...

but if you realy love games that are as high on taktics as they get and then finish in an almost epic display of power vintage is the perfect format (ohh if you have the spare change wich next to no-one does).

vintage is just not affordable *sniff* unless you use proxys ...

if your just looking for some tips on mono black agro for casual with any cards allowed i will have to ponder for some time to think about what options i could advise you on and stay in a small budget ...

as for budget have you ever heared of pauper ? cheapest format ever and sooo many decks that you can play high level of play with (i.e. tournament level play) and still be a welcome guest at casual tables at the same time

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Well Marco should be on within a few hours so he can talk it over with you, thank you.

As for prices, like I said at the moment im on a little bit of a budget, however, I am willing to go big (not mox big, lol. But Ill find the cash for confidants, jittes, and maybe bitterblossom).

Pauper really is a neat format. Some of my friends like to play Peasant also, and we used to have fun with it.

Okay so here is the deck. Like I said, I kinda really screwed around with it so when you look at it and go "....What?" thats why,

12x Swamp
    12x Barren Moor

4x Dark Ritual
    3x Lightning Greaves
    3x Vicious Hunger
    3x Innocent Blood
    4x Funeral Charm
    3x Tendrils of Corruption
    2x Phyrexian Arena
    2x Doom Blade
    1x Mutilate
    2x Vendetta
    1x Phyrexian Totem

2x Dross Harvester
    4x Grinning Demon
    3x Carrion Feeder
    2x Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4x Vampire Lacerator (My Carnofage :P)
    1x Phyrexian Negator

So there it is. :P

seba1983 Guest

ok first of barren moor is a non-basic land so max 4 ...

your generaly running some decent stuff there but no discard at all ...

also inocent blood is amazing but not in this deck.

you might want to take a diffren angle eventualy but mono-black sui is about speed and vicious agressiveness at all cost. IB does not fit that bill just like mutilate.

here is a decklist for pauper (so only commons) that i would run in a paper pauper tournament if i want to run MB-SUI:

Creature (23):

4 x Vampire Lacerator
    4 x Carnophage
    4 x Wretched Anurid
    2 x Raving Oni-Slave
    2 x Blind Creeper
    2 x Skittering Skirge
    3 x Skittering Horror
    2 x Dauthi Marauder

Spells (14):

4 x Dark Ritual
    3 x Vendetta
    3 x Snuff Out
    4 x Hymn to Tourach

Lands (23):

23 x Swamp

Sideboard:

4 x Duress
    3 x Disfigure
    3 x Tendrils of Corruption
    3 x Dross Golem
    2 x Diabolic Edict

now that list is only commons and should cost about 5$ may be a little more ^^ its still very aggressive and will usualy kill arround turn 4 if not stoped ...

it has amazing plays off a dark ritual and even more amazing plays off two:

swamp, ritaul, ritual, hymn, lacarator, anurid ... that pretty much game in most cases even vs tournament decks ^^

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

I like it, i think you should go with it. If I can get my hands on some stuff i might just give it to you.

That actually is a pretty nice, really cheap deck there. I might have to sub hymns with Funeral Charm though, they are seriously hard to find here.

I really like the deck, and I have most of the stuff to play it at this very moment. Im wondering about the Oni-Slaves a little bit, because he may end up dealing more damage to me than to my opponent.

I will probably try this deck and see how it runs. I may even change some of it up a little bit. Thanks for all of the info seba.

P.S. I do only have 4 Barren Moors. :P sorry for the typo.