+ Reply to Thread
    akuma is offline Very Common

Default building new deck ideas

hello!

Building a new 2 color combo deck. What color goes best with red's shortsighted and aggressive behavoir? I'm thinking white for its protection and healing, but what are your opinions?

Alchemist is offline Very Common

Default Re: building new deck ideas

I personally like black/red decks i like amplifying what red does with black discards, creature destrucion and life leeching

otherwise for defense I llike to combine red with blue for control and countering

Black/Red was my first combo deck and I loved it, but I got rocked pretty bad by enchantments (my friend plays with a blue/white deck). so I'm trying to find a color to help fix that. Which is why I'm leaning towards green because it seems the most natural to go to with it being allies with red and having enchantment destroying cards, but I'm interested in how white and blue interact with red.

I appreciate your advice as I'm just beginning to get into this game by messing around with my friend's deck and am looking into a purchasing a core/theme deck.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

White is also getting some new enchantment destroying cards in the new set as well. I personally like white or green over black.

Lakepirate is offline Planeswalker

Red-White decks (commonly called Boros) are typically "weeny" decks that are fast and have some direct damage and creature removal. ("Weeny" just means they are low cost creatures that are meant for attacking.)

Red-Black will typically be built more towards damage and destruction with some creatures, either to amplify the damage or to be big threats themselves.

Red-Green will typically have some mana acceleration and be geared for larger creatures that hit hard, and probably do trample damage.

Red-Blue are usually a little harder to play and not seen as often. They typically are built for Direct Damage, Mass Drawing, Creature Theft, or some other sort of trickery. (Like a Goblin mage that just realized he can cast spells other than a fireball.)

This is my opinion/observation. I realize that not all decks with these color combinations exactly fall into these descriptions.

awesome, red-green does seem like the way to go, but i'll keep my mind open towards white and blue.
    Last edited by akuma; 04-13-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Green does have some Enchantment hate as well, like Naturalize. (Naturalize will be reprinted in RoE. So if you don't have any, you can probably get some from packs.)

Spike is offline Uncommon

i want to run a red/white deck in magic any ideas?

any tips on what starter/theme packs to pick up?

baller-92 is offline Very Common

I have been playin for about 10yrs. i used to have a red/black goblin deck i liked alot but recently i made a good type 2 red/blue deck that is built for countering+direct damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    i want to run a red/white deck in magic any ideas?
    Boros is your bet, go for cheap creatures (Steppe Lynx, Goblin Guide, etc.), burn (Lightning Helix, Lightning Bolt, etc.) and some fetchlands to power out Lynxes and Plated Geopedes.

Quote Originally Posted by akuma View Post
    any tips on what starter/theme packs to pick up?
    Assuming that you are asking about red/green... The new Eldrazi Red/Green Intro deck looks promising with lots of spawn tokens and big creatures. It comes out this next weekend. I've also posted the deck list here: Eldrazi Arisen - Rise of the Eldrazi Intro Pack

Biefall is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Lakepirate View Post
    Assuming that you are asking about red/green... The new Eldrazi Red/Green Intro deck looks promising with lots of spawn tokens and big creatures. It comes out this next weekend. I've also posted the deck list here: Eldrazi Arisen - Rise of the Eldrazi Intro Pack
    That was my strategy during the pre release and the first intro pack I bought. Works great!