+ Reply to Thread
    ahadiel is offline Common

Post GWB Deck - Final Stage.

I Have started building a GWB deck over the past couple of days and need some helping finishing it up. I have been cycling out bunches of cards over and over again but I am finding that these cards are what I am going to be keeping. But I can always change stuff out if someone has a better combo idea. Oh and I am brand new to the site! So hello to everyone!

I am open to all comments and suggestions. Chances are someone will have a better idea than me.

I might need a little help with structure aswell.
    Thnx all in advance for comments and feedback.

Sorcery

3x Day of Judgment (Zendikar) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    4x Explore (Worldwake) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    4x Ponder (Magic 2010) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    1/2x Kiss of the Amesha (Shards of Alara) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

Total: 12/13

Creatures

3/4x Jenara, Asura of War (Alara Reborn) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    4x Baneslayer Angel (Magic 2010) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    2/3x Empyrial Archangel (Shards of Alara) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    4x Elvish Piper (Magic 2010) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

Total 13/15

Artifacts

4x Unbender Tine (Alara Reborn) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering (Still on the fence about this card)

Total 4

Instants

3/4x Bant Charm (Shards of Alara) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

Total 3/4

Lands

4x Seaside Citadel (Shards of Alara) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    1x Misty Rainforest (Zendikar) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    5x Forest (Zendikar) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    6x Plains (Zendikar) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
    4x Island (Zendikar) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

Total 20 Lands

Now saying I use the max amount I posted for this deck it would be a 60 card deck. And if I use the lower amounts I would have room for 4 more cards and if I dont end up using Unbender Tine (Alara Reborn) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering I will have room for 8 more cards.

I would also like to add cards like

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=179434
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=174957

But am not to sure how to fit them into the deck and what to replace etc.
    Last edited by ahadiel; 04-10-2010 at 03:26 AM.

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: GWB Deck - Final Stage.

is this supposed to be for fun games or for tournaments ?

also as an info for you blue is abbreviatet as U not B. B = black.

as for the deck (assuming this is supposed to go to tournaments) the biggest problem i see is that your not doing anything turn 1 and two.

boros bushwacker will kill you befor you cast your fist spell with a good draw if tehy start:

turn 1 land, steplynx
    turn 2 land, hit for 2 goeped
    turn 3 stepylnx, fetchland, fetch, bushwacker with kicker hit for 18.

generaly not beeing able to do anything turn 1 and 2 is a bad idea. jund usualy does not cast a creature befor turn 3 as well but they have lightning bolt and terminate. some decks also habe putrid leach. all of these cards will allow you to live to see your turn three/ four against the fast decks of the format (boros, red deck wins etc.)

then you have 4 elvish piper. that card is very overrated by many players. try not to read it as put a creature into play for 1 green mana but 3G your opponent discards a removal from his hand. most of the time that is what will happen.

so generaly speaking i feel your mana curve is to high without something to support that (noble hirarch, birds of paradise e.g.). then you realy want more cheap removal (path to exile i feel is a must here). other than that there are some realy amazing critters that are worth looking at such as rhox war monk. when going bant at the moment i think you need to decide on a clear focus either agro or control. that choice alone would throw in or out quite a good number of cards.

control would not want that many creatures. baneslayers yes, the rest depends on your exact build but perhaps only 4 oracle of mul daya + tresure hunt and lots of lands. those would inculde removal (quicksand), a source of card quality (halimar depth) and solid kill cons (the u/w and the w/g man lands). the rest you can fill with some more control cards like those bant charms, day of judgment etc.

explore would actualy fit such a deck very well for a turn 3 oracle followed by a horde of manlands hitting the board

here is an example of what i mean, though i would cut 2 oblivion rings and 1 marshal coup for 3 path to exile:

Treasure Bant :: Andreas Trejtnar | DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

i would also do some changes to the sideboard. the perimiter captain is awesome. celestial purge too. cancel i would cut as well as the luminarchs to add 3 oblivion rings. if you feel you need the pithing needles i would then add 2 more. if you dont like them i would instead take that one out as well and add 1 celestial purge, 1 quicksand and a bant charm to the side board.

hope this helps

Ok so say this was your deck and you wanted to go control. Using as many of my cards as possible, could you build a deck that would stand somewhat of a chance in a tournament. Spending limit is infinite.

And thank you for the very informative post.

seba1983 Guest

generaly speaking blue is a very week color in standard at the moment. red and or black are at least part of almost all spells that shape the format. thus you can see that going UGW is somewhat a difficult task.

deck check (a website that collects decks that made a top 8 at tournaments) list a total of 578 GRB (jund) decks but only 7 bant control ...

if you realy want to play control in tournaments a have a good chance of winning there are several options. playing UWG is probaly one that has very slim chances of success. you could try U/W control wich is probably the most successful real control deck at the moment (76 top 8 decks) and it utilises a good numer of the cards you postet:

U/W Control Decks | DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

thats those 76 decklists for inspiration.

now im not a fan of netdecking but seeing how dominant jund is at the moment it leaves little room for innovation that has not already been tried.

the other rout you could take is to play a diffrent format. vintage is probably out of almost all peoples budget. legacy has excelent control decks but they are also slightly more expensive. extended tends to have the problem that very few people play the format if its not the pro tour qualifier format at the moment ...

im guessing you want to take the deck to a frieday night magic tournament ?

if so you could ask the person organising it if he / she ever considert pauper as a format for the FNM. pauper is a format where you only play with commons. now that sound like your restricting yourself an awful lot but in realyty no other format has as many playable archetypes. even though i could name you over 50 decks that can win in pauper there is still room for innovation. new deck make an appearance every few weeks. i have not seen UGW control yet but i would take up the challange to desing a deck like that for pauper if you can then actualy play with it . the great thing about pauper is that money is no longer an issue so everyone can play and you dont have to make budget compromises.

you can even play a new deck every week or so and still not need a real budget ... its fantastic.

ohh and turn three combo win, fast agro or slow control all happen in pauper its like legacy without the cost and without the cards that make the format un-fun (yes im looking at you tarmogoyf ^^)

seba1983, thank you again for the very informative post.

See I knew jund was dumping over everything in t2 which really pisses me off. There is no variety and it comes down to who gets the right cards first and everyone is damn near a clone deck. I've never been one to follow the herd.

I am going to take in what you said in the first post, and try and make something with some survivability and atleast a chance to make it past round 1 haha.

seba1983 Guest

good luck. hope you put those jund decks in thier place

Lakepirate is offline Planeswalker

thats a very nice looking deck