+ Reply to Thread
    LFC5-Torres1990 is offline Very Common

Default building a black white green blue and red standard deck

has anyone got any ideas for 5 coloured deck?

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Default Re: building a black white green blue and red standard deck

DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

Look there you should find some idea's.

this is my 5 coloured deck please tell me what you think

32 creatures
    gatekeeper of malakir x4
    vampire nighthawk x4
    goblin guide x4
    phantom warrior x2
    iona,shield of emeria x2
    knight of the white orchid x2
    lorescale coatl x2
    frontier guide x2
    royal assassin x1
    nemesis of reason x1
    sakura-tribe elder x1
    shepherd of the lost x1
    lich lord of unx x1
    winged coatl x1
    jenara,asura of war x1
    thraximunder x1
    borderland ranger x1
    acidic slime x1
    djinn of wishes x1
    lorthos, the tidemaker x1

spells 19
    diabolic tutor x3
    ice cage x2
    mind control x2
    lighting bolt x2
    telepathy x1
    rite of replication x1
    tome scour 1
    levitation x1
    mind funeral x2
    overrun x1
    fog x1
    conquerors pledge x1
    khalni gem x1

planeswalkers 3
    chandra nalaar x1
    ajani vengeant x1
    liliana vess x1

lands 19
    swamp x3
    plains x3
    island x3
    forest x3
    mounatain x2
    terramorphic expanse x4
    dragonskull summit x1

so please tell me what you think all ideas will be grateful thankyou

seba1983 Guest

i dont want to sound like an ass and this is not ment to be a flame at all but i think the deck is awful.

basicly i find it hard to even call it a deck. it looks like a random pile of 60 cards. the first problem i see is the you have a lot of twice or thrice defined spells with not nearly enough color fixing. a lot of times you will not be able to cast most of the stuff in your hand.

some of your spells you need all lands that can produce that color in play to be able to play them. that does not sound like a working plan.

also i see no real focus in the deck. you have goblin guide a realy fast agro creature and royal assasin, clearly a much more control orientated creature. what your deck lacks is a unified strategy.

if you want to play 5-colored only to play every card you like thats ok but i wont be any good unless it has a solid plan behind it and solid means to make that plan work. currently your deck has neither.

i find it very hard to give you any advice on the deck since i can not tell any direction it is going in. to make it a deck and not just a pile of cards you need to decide what the deck is supposed to do first.

what i can tell you already is that you have too few lands and too few color fixings no matter what direction your going in.

there have been many fantastic competative 5-colored deck in the past but also a huge amount of realy nice casual deck that were 5-colored. its something that is neither impossible nor realy hard to do even on a small budget. if you can tell me what your deck is supposed to do i can try to help you a lot better.

sorry i can't do more for you right now ...

Lightning1714 is offline Uncommon

I think i can help you with your lands, creatures, and soceries. I have 5 of each basic land in my deck, and i usually draw 3 kinds my first turn, here are my lands.
    Island x5
    Plains x5
    Swamp x5
    Forest x5
    Mountain x5
    Also here are some of the cards that you need all of the lands in play, and they rock.
    Coalition Victory x2 Socery
    You win the game if you control a basic land of each color, and a creature of each color.
    Lightning Angel x3 3/4 Creature (it needs 4 of the colors so i dont know if you'd call it good in this deck, lol.)
    Flying, Haste.
    Cromat x 2 5/5
    Last stand x3 Socery
    Target opponent loses 2 life for each swamp you control. Last stand deals damage equal to the amount of mountains you have to target creature. Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play for each forest you control. You gain 2 life for each plain you control. Draw a card for each island you control, then discard that many from your hand.

seba1983 Guest

Lightning Angel needs 3 not 4 colors 1RWU ...

why do you play chromat ? for an easy way to have a permanent of each color for the coalition victory ?

Lightning1714 is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by seba1983 View Post
    Lightning Angel needs 3 not 4 colors 1RWU ...

why do you play chromat ? for an easy way to have a permanent of each color for the coalition victory ?
    Yes lightning angel needs 3 but i said 4 because 1 can be any color. I play cromat because it uses all 5 basic lands and its got good abilities or effects or whatever u wanna call it. Like i think 1 is with a swamp and a plain, Cromat gains flying. Thats why i put it in there, lol.

thanks for that anyway but have you ever thought why there aint any decks that are nearly unbeatable thats because they only have 1 stratgegy thats why after playing them once you can almost predict what there going to do.

but with my deck i have got more then 1 strategy therefore knowone can predict what i will do for example i have got vampire nighthawk because of its flying and deathtouch abilities so it slows down the game then i have creatures like frontier guide and sakura-tribe elder which will help me bring out land. also i can get the cards i want with diabolic tutor and liliana vess then finish them off with either iona shield of emeria.lorthos the tidemaker or thraximunder.

seba1983 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LFC5-Torres1990 View Post
    thanks for that anyway but have you ever thought why there aint any decks that are nearly unbeatable thats because they only have 1 stratgegy thats why after playing them once you can almost predict what there going to do.

but with my deck i have got more then 1 strategy therefore knowone can predict what i will do for example i have got vampire nighthawk because of its flying and deathtouch abilities so it slows down the game then i have creatures like frontier guide and sakura-tribe elder which will help me bring out land. also i can get the cards i want with diabolic tutor and liliana vess then finish them off with either iona shield of emeria.lorthos the tidemaker or thraximunder.
    when you play competative magic you can predict what any deck you face that is not a rouge deck does. sometimes as soon as the first card they put on the table. still what they do is so good that they win anyway.

now a rouge deck is a diffrent story. the deck itself will in most cases be slightly less powerful then the knowen archtyps but the fact the your opponent can't tell what your running makes up for that.

now of course you can say, "hey i dont want to play tournaments" and there is nothing wrong with that at all. in that case the titel of your thread is misleading since it states you want to build a deck for standard. ohh and the tribe elder is not legal in standard ...

now lets assume you want to build a deck for casual. in casual the goal is fun and not winning wich is the primary goal in tournaments. for a fun deck you can play what you have there but please dont be suprised if it tends to loose a lot to decks that have a clear game plan. a focused strategy is something casual deck can have too.

your deck has no apparent overall strategy. now again that is not wrong but it hinders the decks preformance and power level. toolboxing and flexability are good strategies and even competative deck exisit that have more cards only once than your deck does. the diffrence is that they work together as a unit not as cards that stand on thier own in a deck where the only unifying factor seems to be the identical card backs.

i dont want to be too cinicle or else i run the risk of offending people and i dont want to do that. i want to exlain why your deck seems like a pile to me in order to give you deeper insights into deck building. so from what you posted so far you like 5 colors and you like to be flexable. you like to have the right tool for any given situation. that is a notion a deck can be build arround. if you dont mind i'll think up an example deck. this is not what you should play. only an example to show you what i mean. since i have not thought of one yet i will do so now and take you along step by step exlaining why i consider creatian cards. also i will take budged into consideration ... so let me fetch my thinking hat and off we go

so for starter i take a look at what we need in the deck:

all 5 colors
    flexablility
    diffrent ways to win in order to suprise

the first card that springs to my mind when i think of flexability is Maelstrom Pulse. it can't destroy lands. other than that it can take care of anything that enters the board. its green / black so it fits with the 5-color idear too. it is one of the best spells in standard and when you play all colors why not just play what is called "5-color good stuff" or put more directly the best from every color. now pulse is also the most expensive card in alara reborn but if money is an issue oblivion ring will do almost the same for us.

now when we sit down to play and dont know what were up against what do we need to be able to handle ? creatures almost allways. artifacts and enchantments because even if they are not as commonly used as creatures some of them can be devastating if we cant handle them. planeswalker. they can get out of hand but every creature can in some way be considered a soloution for them. instant and sorcerys. there are some realy powerful and there is not a very wide range to soloutions to those other than discard or counter. lastly lands are something that could trouble us.

most of these the pulse can already handle. creatures we want more than 4 soloutions. artifacts and enchantmants we can put in more if we find the space. the rest forces us into cards that are either counters (standard lacks realy good counters) or discard for sorcerys / instants, land destrucktion for lands. walkers we have creatures and pulse for ...

so we need more to get rid of creatures.now there are several ways for a creature to get arround our removal. shroud, protection, indestructabilityor regenerate. for each we can find a soloution:

regenerate - Terminate
    indestructable - Path to Exile
    shroud - gatekeeper / nighthawke

since we are playing 5 colored i dislike the gatekeeper because he's only good when we cast him for BBB. we will not always have that at our disposal at the time we would realy need it but the nighthawk is a very good creature. deathtouch will get rid of shroud creatures. haveing flying mens he can block most stuff to make the deathtouch get to where we want it to. also with lifelink 2 power and flaying he doubles up as an offensive (again flexability).

so we can handle creatures of all kinds. now artifacts and enchantments:

Qasali Pridemage is the first that springs to mind. flexable, multicolored and a common on top. sounds like a good candidate. he can let the nighthawk swing for 3 in the air. he can block and sac befor damage to take down something else. on his own he kills in 3 turns. not fast but a posability giveing us yet another angle of attack.

now for instance and sorcerys. counterspells would be nice since they can take care of most other stuff too. currently there are non that i'd realy enjoy playing though so i would not put any in the deck. so we could still use discard as protection against instants and sorcerys. Duress is very good at that. but it will also be wvery useless in some situation. checking with our goals i see flexability and duress does not always offer that. Blightning might not allways hit what you want but it will always be relevant and force difficult choices upon your opponent. giveing your opponent more chances to make a wrong decision will help. also it does damage and thus direktly helps winning. all in one neat package. well worth running i think.

lands. there are very few lands at the moment that are so unbelivably powerful that we need to have a way to handle them. one exception might be emeria the sky ruin but we can attack the graveyard instead of the land. relic of progenitus is perfect for that and helps against unearth and all other graveyard stuff at the same time.

so lets see what we have so far:

pulse / o-ring
    terminate
    path
    nighthawk
    pridemage
    blightning
    relic

ok we can protect us against almost anything but we cant wim very well yet. so lets look at some ways to win. creatures are a common way to victory. at the moment we have 2 diffrent creatures already but most of the time they role is to solve problems rather than cause them for the opponent. since this is going to be a casual deck we want to have threats that are both fun and scary when the hit the board.the bigger stuff is the scaryer it gets when it hits the board and the more fun many people feel it is too. at the moment we are spoiled for big stuff that has "i win" written all over it. progenitus, iona or hellkite overlord can all be gamewinners. ok we want to win in diffrent ways most games so we need a good number of diffrent threats. to the above three i'd add inkwell leviathan, charnelhoard wurm, empirial archangel, enigma sphinx and magiste sphinx. they each have thier unique flavor and unique abilitys. 8 diffrent ways to kill + our little guys seems like quite a lot of diffrent stuff going on.

now these creatures cost a lot of mana. if you just cast them your going to run out of soloution befor you can start bringing your threats to the board. so lets just cheat those high costs and play summoning trap. turn 5-6 progenitus is realy good in casual.that also gives a certain feel to the deck. scary big stuff that comes early thanks to the trap. you dont need to use the trap cost but if you can all the worse for your opponent. so from now on lets call the sample deck 5-color-trap even though we only play 1 trap it will win us a lot of games but in destinctly diffrent ways.

lastly we need to make sure we have the correct mana to play what we have in our hand. the tri-lands are cheap and effective. birds of paradise are realy good too. to round things of borderland ranger and terramorpic expanse shoudl do the trick.

so lets see what we end up with:

soloutions (23):

4 x pulse
    3 x terminate
    3 x path
    4 x nighthawk
    3 x pridemage
    4 x blightning
    2 x relic

threats (8):

1 x progenitus
    1 x iona
    1 x overlord
    1 x archangel
    1 x leviathan
    1 x magister sphinx
    1 x cascade sphinx
    1 x wurm

enabler / combo (6):

4 x summoning trap
    2 x time warp

mana fixing (7):

4 x birds
    3 x ranger

now thats 44 cards. for my taste thats 8 too many so we have enough room for lands to minimise the frustraiting mana screws. first of we can take out the relics. unless we come up against a lot of graveyard stuff they will not do anything for us in most games. since we already have pulse the pridemage, as much as i love the card can go down to 2 also 3 nighthawk and 3 blightnings should be sufficiant in a casual deck. i could cut a lot from the win cons but i dont realy want to do that to stick with our goal. all in all at least 1 will have to go however. takeing out the wurm would also result in cutting the time warp but i can't bring myself to take out the mini combo. nstead i take out the leviathan and the cascade sphiny since i finde them the least exciting. statisticly thats 1 of our big bad boys/girls ever ten cards. the trap only revaels 7 cards but at the very least we should be getting a nighthawk or pridemage out of it even if thats not realy that good. lastly i cut one of the rangers because with the tri lands and terramorpic we might not have that many basics left in the end. casting one without findng a land is frustraiting ...

so we have 24 lands to fill. green is a very important color because it allowes us to cast the birds and ranger to make / access the other colors. red and black are also important for our soloutions. hence the savage lands need to be in there. the jungle shrine is also nice because we can use white early too for the path and it gives us both red and green on top. on top of that we can sprinkle in some of the other tri lands. add 4 terramorphic and some basics and we're ready to play some games to see if what we feel might be fun in theory hold in practice. here is the final deck list:

soloutions (18):

4 x pulse
    3 x terminate
    3 x path
    3 x nighthawk
    2 x pridemage
    3 x blightning

threats (6):

1 x progenitus
    1 x iona
    1 x overlord
    1 x archangel
    1 x magister sphinx
    1 x wurm

enabler / combo (6):

4 x summoning trap
    2 x time warp

mana fixing (6):

4 x birds
    2 x ranger

lands (24):

4 x terramorphic expanse
    4 x savage lands
    3 x jungle shrine
    1 x arcane sanctum
    1 x seaside citadel
    1 x crumbleing necropolis
    4 x forest
    3 x swamp
    2 x mountain
    2 x plains
    1 x island

remeber this is mearly an example of a deck i might build. this does not have to be a deck you build. the deck can bring out any of the big stuff turn 5/6 it can lock with iona or go infinite turns with wurm + time warp. it can hit very hard with progy or overlord. it can reset someone who gained tons of life with the spinx or simly survive against a not strong enough onslaught with the archangel. it can handle almost anything thats throwen aginst it. its flexable, divers and has a plan. solve problems then cast the trap and win. that plan alone is very diverse but it has backup plans too. it can win with nighthawk, pridemage, range and blightning or hardcast its big guys. the deck will play out ver diffrently a lot of times but it will always know where its going. sure its no where near the best deck ever. i would not advise you to take it to a tournament. it is legal for standard. you can modify it to make it cheaper (o-rings for pulse, more rangers instead of some birds etc.). every card in the deck has its reason for being there. the cards play together from simple stuff liek pridemage + nighthawk to gamewinning stuff like trap into progenitus or wurm + timewarp.

now i dont know if you see the differance to your deck. i hope you realise that there is a differance and give that differance some thought. copying the deck will not help you build better decks but understanding the differeances should.

if you still feel im just bitching about your creation i can assure you i am not bt dont know how i could show you and get my point accross. hope this helps.