+ Reply to Thread
    Zidarose is offline Editor in Chief

Default Non-Earthcraft Squirrel Deck

It's been a while since I thought of a deck that I needed help with. While I've recently made a Burn Deck that focuses on the graveyard and tends to scare my friends in our casual game, I realized that I've been missing one of those decks that most people build and find fun to play: A Squirrel Deck.

I've run decks with Infinite Combos and I hate them. They take a lot of fun out of the game. While I know Earthcraft/Squirrel Nest is the most common combo in these decks, I don't want to use it (and it has nothing to do with the fact one of my friends banned me from using that combo!). My limited research so far has shown alternatives: Like Druid's Call + Acorn Catapult. One nasty one I figured out is Doubling Cube + Liege of the Hollows + Gaea's Cradle.

The idea is to work around that to create a mass of squirrels, preferably more than their default road-kill chump block status. I know there are some cards like Deranged Hermit and Nut Collector that do things like that.

I'll post a card list once I do a little more research later today regarding production and threshold (or sacrifice effects in green).
    Finally, a new generation of Pokemon for us to enjoy. There is much to look forward to in 2011!

DatAsh is offline Rare

Default Re: Non-Earthcraft Squirrel Deck

If you wanna make a lot of tokens, I suggest Parallel lives for sure. I'm not well versed in squirrel decks, though, sorry.

Parallel lives is a good thought. Mix that with Nut collector & deranged hermit. Tempted to splash White to make it even easier torepeated bring Deranged hermit into play with a galepowder mage mixed with that.
    Finally, a new generation of Pokemon for us to enjoy. There is much to look forward to in 2011!

Twanos is offline Master Mason

I always liked Deranged Hermit and Lifeline (don't pay the echo and keep getting it back and more tokens). And when combined with other fun type cards such as Parallel Lives, Doubling Season and Cathars' Crusade things can just get silly.

I hadn't known about Lifeline, I was planning on using Galepowder Mage to do most of the generation (in conjunction with Parallel Lives). It does leave a mana cost issue, but things are shaping up a lot more for this deck anyhow. That actually makes one card I found, Hunting Grounds a lot more effective.

Deranged Hermit is one of the best ways to just generate a lot of tokens. This is especially true with Parallel Lives (or Doubling Season) active. To take that to obscene heights, add in Rhys the Redeemed and just watch the numbers swell. That's the theory.

My other thoughts on increasing my tokens just got a lot easier. I'd forgotten about Selesnya! Things like Druid's Deliverance are great for this deck (plus that one has a fog effect. Mix in heartbeat of spring or Keeper of Progenitus and it's not too hard to get the mana any more (Caged Sun if you just want a high cost and a boost.

Those are the thoughts thus far on building this deck:
    Deranged Hermit
    Druid's Deliverance
    Heartbeat of the Spring/Keeper of Progenitus
    Eldrazi Monument/Privileged Position
    Parallel Lives
    Hunting Ground
    Caged Sun (?)
    Rhys the Redeemed