+ Reply to Thread
    Ninja is offline Uncommon

Default boon reflection celestial mantle combo

Is this a good combo:

Boon Reflection 4W
    Enchantment
    If you would gain life, you gain twice that much life instead.

Celestial Mantle
    3WWW
    Enchantment — Aura
    Enchanted creature gets +3/+3.
    Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, double its controller's life total.

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: boon reflection celestial mantle combo

no.

Ninja is offline Uncommon

why not?

kip
    kip is offline Scarce

I think its very cool combo you can get lotsa life with it

seba1983 Guest

auras are realy bad in general. your combo does nothing befor turn 6 many decks will have killed you by then. even if you do combo all you do is gain life that does not help you kill any opponent. Painter's Servant + Grindstone is a good combo, Phyrexian Dreadnought + Stifle, Counterbalance + Sensei's Divining Top or Time Vault + Voltaic Key are very good combos. a turn 6 lifegain combo that any removal or even a bounce spell will stop, that need 3 cards and a total of 11 mana + cost of the creature to put the mantle on simply is not. its very weak, unstable, easy to stop, slow and the gain from it is rather small.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Here's the thing:
    your combo does nothing befor turn 6 many decks will have killed you by then.
    It depends on your group. Tournament wise, yes, this is absolutely true. In a more casual circle, it may not be. My group avoids situations like this wherever we can, because we like games to be, you know, fun.

even if you do combo all you do is gain life that does not help you kill any opponent.
    Tell that to my Lifestorm deck. Ever been attacked by an 8million/8million Serra Avatar, backed by protection against kill spells? Or perhaps a swarm of a couple of million Pegasus tokens is more your cup of tea.

Basically what I'm saying is the metagame is everything. There are very few generalisations you can make about this game that hold true in every environment.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

seba1983 Guest

my answer was based on the question "is it a good combo?" ... no it isnt. fun sure. something to build a casual deck arround? why not. good no sorry but it does not have to be good to be playable in casual

That's what I'm saying - it might not be good on the tournament scene (and believe me, I'm not debating that), but that doesn't mean it isn't good in some casual circles.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

seba1983 Guest

i still dont realy like calling it good. not because its lifegain or because its slow but because its so easy to disprupt. casual decks should have some creature removal and any will do even unsummon ^^.

if you want to play this in casual make sure you run all them semi-shroud creatures to protect your enchantment from removal or lots of free counters:

troll asketic, ledgewalker etc.

force of will, foil etc.

if you dont the creature with the mantle will just get kille on sight.

That's thew whole point of such decks like that - to make things like that work. No, the combo on its own won't do you much good, but in a deck built to support it, it could easily be incredible. I'd like to bring up my Confusion in the Ranks deck - Norin the Wary, possibly one of, if not the worst card in Time Spiral, is an absolute star in that deck.
    Fluttershy is best pony.