+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Klark_muska is offline Common

Default Making Black/Red Deck

I am making a black and red deck, but my main focus is on the black aspect. This is what I'm thinking so far:

Creatures:
    3X Vampire Nocturnus
    4X Vampire Hexmage
    3X Malakir Bloodwitch
    3X Vampire Nighthawk

Spells:
    4X urge to feed
    4X Tedrils of corruption
    3X Vampire's bite

I think I am happy with urge to feed and tendrils of corruption, but I think I want to change vampire's bite with something else. Any suggestions?, comments?, please feel free.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Default Re: Making Black/Red Deck

I have a MBA deck I have been testing lately, I don't think it is really worth adding red into black unless you are trying to run Abyssal Persecutor or something of the sorts where you want burn or terminate and then you really should just make RDW or Jund.... There are to many problems with BB creatures when you get a hand with R/B land in opening hand and then draw into R land. My current list dosn't run Nocturnus since I don't like exposing my hand and Eldrazi Monument is harder to remove from the field IMO.

4x Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4x Hexmage
    4x Nighthawk
    2x Anowon the Ruin Sage
    2x Malakir Bloodwitch
    3x Kalistra Highborn
    4x Bloodghast

4x Urge to Feed
    3x Tendrils of Corruption
    2x Grim Discovery (Love this card)

2x Eldrazi Monument
    2x Blade of the Bloodchief
    1x Basalisk Collar

4x Tectonic Edge
    4x Marsh Flats
    15x Swamp

So far it has done very well really gives Jund a run for it's money, side board is still in works since I don't really know what I'm happy with yet in it.

Incendium is offline Very Common

Nice, I like this build a lot. Will have to try this out and see how much my friends will hate me for it!

I think you're right, I'm going to drop red out of my deck and make it entirely black. This is a rough copy for my black deck:

Creatures:

3X Vampire Nocturnus
    3X Vampire Nighthawk
    3X Malakir Bloodwitch
    4X Vampire Hexmage

I'm thinking of putting in 4X bloodghast and 3X Gatekeeper of Malakir, but I do like Kalastria Highborn's ability for the bloodghasts. What do you think?

Spells:

4X Smother
    4X Tendrils of Corruption
    4X Urge to Feed

I have room for 4 more spells, I just don't know which one. I'm going for a deck with aggro so I need suggestions on spells that would most benefit me.

I'm thinking maybe feast of blood, Grim Discovery, Duress, Needlebite Trap. Any suggestions?.

Incendium is offline Very Common

why not feast of blood AND grim discovery? knock back your spell count to 3 of each allows for both. If not, I think Feast of Blood a good fit.

I ended up putting in 4X Duress' in my deck, I'll see how that goes, if not Feast of blood is the next option. All I need now is to find 2 more Gatekeepers of Malakir and 2 Vampire Nocturnus to complete my deck. It's surprisely hard to find Gatekeepers.......

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

4x Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4x Hexmage
    4x Nighthawk
    2x Anowon the Ruin Sage
    2x Malakir Bloodwitch
    3x Kalistra Highborn
    4x Bloodghast

3x Urge to Feed
    3x Grim Discovery
    2x Sign in Blood

3x Eldrazi Monument

3x Tectonic Edge
    4x Marsh Flats
    2x Crypt
    14x Swamp

This is what I think I will be changing my setup to after FNM last night, I have found that the equipments are really just a pain in the arse to work with and with all the removal they just don't last. I was stalling out as well in the late game so I cut the equipment and added 2 Signs and another Grim and I need to make one more cut so I can run a 3 Eldrazi. I'm not sure yet what to cut I think I may just shy towards 22 land instead of 23 or I can run 22 land and cut a Tendrils to get 3 Sign in Blood into the deck.

Sideboard is 4 Black Knight, 3 Deathmark, 3 Mind Rot, 3 Mind Sludge and another Urge and Sign for testing purposes.

On a side not alot of silly guys and gals are running W/U Allies at my local meta and either gaining 100+ life or milling cards so I have been tempted to get Sorin in there just so I can crush there dreams of 100 life.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Just wanted to update you all on my decklist since I havn't posted it in awhile.

4x Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4x Hexmage
    4x Nighthawk
    2x Anowon the Ruin Sage
    2x Malakir Bloodwitch
    3x Kalistra Highborn
    3x Bloodghast
    3x vampire Nocturnus

3x Urge to Feed
    3x Grim Discovery
    2x Sign in Blood

1x Eldrazi Monument

3x Tectonic Edge
    4x Marsh Flats
    1x Crypt
    15x Swamp

I've also been considering going to 1 or none Anowon and adding another Bloodwitch and maybe going back to 4x Bloodghast or another Sign in Blood.

Nice deck, looks alittle similar to mine actually, but I didn't put an Anowon or a Kalistra. I finally finished my black deck and I've tried it out recently against my buddy. He plays with 3 decks that he just made, one's a blue/white, Green and a White. I'm having alot of problems with all 3 actually so I thought I'd post my black deck so I can get some ideas.

3X Vampire Nighthawk
    3X Gatekeeper of Malakir
    3X Malakir Bloodwitch
    3X Vampire Nocturnus
    4X Vampire Hexmage
    4X Bloodghast

3X Smother
    3X Sign in Blood
    3X Urge to Feed
    3X Mind Shatter

3 Basilisk Collar

21X Lands

I took out 3 lands for Sign in Blood but I'm not sure if it's a good idea, I haven't been mana screwed too badly since I've done it so it seems to be working. Also because I have 3 Nocturnus' I thought I should have more black cards so I'm more likely to get his ability. Any Feedback would be appreciated.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Okay going to give you a little insight I run Grim Discovery and it is a H O U S E card, I mean you run more removal but I can use my graveyard removal again.

So while you let your creatures and spells rot in the grave I'm pulling them back out and using them again.

Equipment: I really know you wanna use it but why? You have Urge to feed so you can use that end of turn to pump your creatures and you have Nocturnus which pumps your creatures as well. I would say one Collar at the most if any I have one in my sideboard and that is it.

Mind Shatter I like discard don't get me wrong but the most you will ever Mind Shatter for is 2 which costs 4 mana so why not just run Mind Rot for 3 mana? I say you will only Shatter for two cause by the time you have enough mana to play it most will only have 2 cards in hand.

No Kalistra WHY WHY WHY, you run Bloodghast and even if you force them to chump block him he is one going to die which is fine you still get 2 damage through using Kalistra and you gain 2 life and guess what just leave a sac land untapped and get him back EOT so he will be ready for round two!

Now I can't really say much about Anowon he is a good card late game for random creature removal and he also draws some attention to himself yet I'm still in the air about him though he has been handy in some games.

Eldrazi with Bloodghast was an easy choice and I have run against Jund with a Crypt out turn four and won with Eldrazi against it so I leave one in there just in case.

I don't really care for Smother especially since Jund runs one creature you actually want to use it on the only other place it's good is against WW and Allies.

Tectonic Edge you know how big of a set back it is to rob Jund or a COntrol deck of one mana? Alot I mean you can actually set back Jund by only killing one land because the Mana base is really unstable, not to mention all the man lands that are out now.

So if I had to give you advice here it is and I think it will help you greatly.

3X Vampire Nighthawk
    3X Gatekeeper of Malakir
    3X Malakir Bloodwitch
    3X Vampire Nocturnus
    4X Vampire Hexmage
    4X Bloodghast
    (+3 Kalistra Highborn)

3X Smother (-3) (+3 Grim Discovery)
    3X Sign in Blood
    3X Urge to Feed
    3X Mind Shatter (-3 or Mind Rot)
    4X Tendrils of Corruption (-1)

3 Basilisk Collar (-2)

21X Lands (+3 Tectonic Edge, +1 Crypt and +4 Sac Lands)

If you choose to not use discard then I would +1 Nighthawk +1 Gatekeeper and
    +1 Eldrazi Monument.

I hope this helps I think it will for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will get 3 Kalastria Highborn's now that I think about how nice the ability is, esp with the bloodghasts. For some reason though I really like the Basilisk Collars. I mean Bloodghasts are dirty on their own but being 2/1 it just doesn't kill that many creatures alone. You pretty much attack with them and they die, without causing damage. But with Basilisk Collars equiped they get lifelink and deathtouch, so he can kill any creature your opponent may have, and no matter what you gain life. I'm thinking of taking out either the Basilisk Collars, Mind Shatter or smother for the Kalastria and maybe Grim Discovery.

I think 4 Marsh Flats is a good idea, and the Crypt of Agadeem is a extremely good, but could you explain the tectonic edge?, I mean it's good to destroy target nonbasic land but you are also losing a source for mana as well. But then again, that's what the Crypt of agadeem is for.

Question:
    If you have 2 kalastria Highborn's on the battlefield and one of your vampire creatures is put in the graveyard can you pay 2 black mana for the ability and your opponent losing 4 life? or how does that work? Because if that's the case I will be putting them in for sure.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Tectonic Edge in a deck with a very sensible curve like Vamps dosn't really hurt you the goal is to hurt decks that are not mono colored that have to have dual and tri color lands.

And yes with 2 Kalistra's in play you can pay 1 black mana for each of there abilities.

As for the collars I just don't care for equipment especially three that don't really do much and a smart person will block your Ghast with a first striker so there creature won't die.

If you insist on them only run 2 at most..... I mean the Bloodghast come back with landfall that is the real draw to the creature.

On another note Grim Discovery is a house in a pinch get at least two in your deck if you have 2 of those and 3 Sign's then you have 5 cards that let you return cards or draw cards to fill your hand back up.

I think you're right about the Basilisk Collars, I'm going to take them out and leave them as a sideboard card or something. Instead I am going to put in 3 Tectonic Edge, 1 Crypt, 4 Marsh lands and 15 swamps like you did if that's cool. Also taking out smother for 3 Grim Discoveries which could be useful to bring the fetch lands back (or can that be done?). Thanks so much for your time and suggestions, I'm really excited about the new look to this deck!.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Yep that is the point of Grim Discovery you can bring any land back! I have brought back Tectonic Edge back quite a bit just to mess with mana bases.

Just a little tip of advice don't keep an opening hand with 1 Swamp and 2 Tectonic Edge, because Urge and Gatekeeper need all black mana to be used well just something that I have learned.

My sideboard consists of Black Knights, Deathmark and discard.

I like that!, maybe I should put 4 Grim Discoveries then, because if that counts for marsh flats as well I can get mana out so quickly that I will have more black cards for Nocturnus' ability. The only problem I'm facing right now is getting my hands on 3 tectonic edge and 1 crypt of agadeem, apparently they are quite popular and hard to find.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Don't do 4 Grims don't want them to often, and the Crypt and Tectonic Edge should be easy to aquire.

Crypt isn't really used alot and Tectonic Edge is an Uncommon

I dunno you should be able to find one sooner or later or there is always the internet sites you can buy singles off of.

Alright, so I got the 3 Tectonic Edge, 1 Crypt and 2 Grim Discovery today, so here is my new and improved black deck:

3X Kalastria Highborn
    3X Vampire Nocturnus
    3X Gatekeeper of Malakir
    3X Malakir Bloodwitch
    3X Vampire Nighthawk
    4X Bloodghast
    4X Vampire Hexmage

3X Grim Discovery
    3X Sign in Blood
    3X Urge to feed

15X Lands
    3X Tectonic Edge
    1X Crypt of Agadeem
    4X Marsh Flats

1X Blade of the Bloodchief

It's sad to see smother go, I found that I did use that spell often, but I think it's for the best considering how dirty Grim Discovery is. Also I replaced Basilisk Collar with Blade of the Bloodchief only because I think it will be a better fit in my deck.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I ran Blade of the Bloodchief and it worked okay, I think I would prefer the Collar though over that or no equipment at all.

Things I would change -1 Blade, -1 Tendrils, +1 Gatekeeper and +1 Nighthawk.

I got my Nocturnus and I'm very pleased with that decision.

Ok, I'll buy a gatekeeper and nighthawk sometime this week, my only concern is that I'm running too little spells, I would have alot more creatures then spells. Have you run into any trouble with your deck?, how's it working for you?. Vampire Nocturnus is one of my favorites also, I'm glad I'm running 3, it comes in handy with fetch lands also.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I've had no problems at all with not having enough spells remember that Vampires are a more aggressive deck and that is what you want on the board. As for to few spells not had that issue yet or that I have thought was a problem.