+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with my standard deck

The deck is gonna be esper colors(blue, black, and white)

My mill deck wasn't type 2 and figured in a couple months i can have enough money to make a mill deck that is type 2. Right now here is my list(not complete and unsure what to add or take):

4 x archive trap
    4 x path to exile
    4 x mind funeral
    2 x howling mine
    3 x font of mythos
    3 x day of judgement
    3 x hedron crab
    2 x haunting echoes(thinking of adding another, not sure with the high cost tho)
    4 x journey to nowhere
    4 x pacifisms
    2 x twincast
    2 x unsummon
    3 x spellbook

3 x marsh flats ( maybe 2)
    4 x terramorphic expanses (works decent with the hedron crab)(maybe 3)
    2 x reliquary(sp) tower(1 possibly, not more than 2)
    2 x drowned catacomb
    2 x glacial fortress
    4 x swamp
    5 x island
    4 x plains

I'll take any ideas. Thank you

My sideboards ideas are slim right now, but megrim and oblivion ring are a couple, the land part im still working on.
    Last edited by wildcantor4win; 12-03-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: update

Default Re: Help with my standard deck

I just calculated the total price of the cards i need to get for this deck is ranged somewhere between 125-150 bucks. Lol, can't wait to save up for that.

update

i removed all of my spellbooks, added one more reliquary tower and 3 oblivion rings.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I'd run something close to this I think (I'm not a pro deck builder and still kind of new to the game). Terramorphic Expanse is terrible cause the card comes in tapped and that is not good IMO.

36 Spells and Creatures

4 x Archive Trap
    4 x Path to Exile
    4 x Mind Funeral
    2 x Howling Mine
    3 x Font of Mythos
    3 x Day of Judgement
    3 x Hedron crab
    2 x Haunting echoes
    4 x Wall of Denial
    3 x Twincast
    4 x Oblivion Ring

24 Lands

4 x Marsh Flats ( maybe 2)
    3 x Reliquary Tower
    2 x Drowned Catacomb
    2 x Glacial Fortress
    4 x Swamp
    5 x Island
    4 x Plains

Sideboard

3-4 Deft Duelist (this card destroys alot of Boros Creatures and with Wall of Denial is just nuts.

"CHANGED

The deck is gonna be esper colors(blue, black, and white)

My mill deck wasn't type 2 and figured in a couple months i can have enough money to make a mill deck that is type 2. Right now here is my list(not complete and unsure what to add or take):

4 x archive trap(same)
    4 x path to exile (same)
    4 x mind funeral (same)
    2 x howling mine (4 now)
    3 x font of mythos (4 now)
    3 x day of judgement (none)
    3 x hedron crab none
    no huanting echoes
    4 x journey to nowhere (none)
    4 x pacifisms (2 now)
    2 x twincast same
    2 x unsummon none
    3 x spellbook none

3 x marsh flats ( maybe 2) none now
    4 x terramorphic expanses (works decent with the hedron crab)(maybe 3) none
    2 x reliquary(sp) tower(1 possibly, not more than 2) changed mind, 3
    2 x drowned catacomb 4
    2 x glacial fortress 4
    4 x swamp 3
    5 x island 5
    4 x plains 5

updates on the far right. found out that the friday night magic by me, there is not a lot of creatures and creatures do not stay out for long. So hedron crabs are getting taken out, same thing with journey to nowhere and 2 pacifisms and no day of judgements. since i do not have hedron crabs anymore, marsh flats and t expanses are pointless now so i added 2 drowned catacombs and glacial fortresses. unsummons are out because the only creature that is really hitting the board is bloodbraid elf(sp). so unsummoning it would help my opponent. added more fonts and mines to have them in my opening hand more often. as for new cards im adding:

4x telemin performances
    4x o-rings
    4 x safe passage

sideboard:

4x wall of denials
    4x spell pierce
    2x essence scatter
    2x negate
    3x time warp

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Use Marsh Flats instead of Terramorphic Expanse so the mana comes into play untaped. O-Ring, Pacifism and any other enchantment to control a creature is horrible because of Maelstom Pulse and your out of your mind for cutting DOJ since you don't run creatures. You should be running Flashfreeze in the mainboard since you have almost no removal in it other than enchantmeents. Spell Pierce are you serious that card is terrible. The new Jace should be in there if you can get it because the 0 ability is retarded good and makes your control life so much easier when you want to get the cards you need. Now that I posted all this crap I will show you what I might run.

34 - Spells
    4 x archive trap
    4 x path to exile
    4 x mind funeral
    4 x howling mine
    3 x font of mythos
    3 x day of judgement
    2 x twincast same
    4 x Flashfreeze
    2 X Angelsong
    4x Negate

26 Land
    4 X Marsh Flats
    4 x Creeping Tar Pit
    4 x Reliquary Tower
    3 x glacial fortress
    3 x swamp

And after that I presonally think you need more fog effects and to get at least 3 Jaces in there I have been play testing with him and he is a house.
    5 x island
    3 x plains
    Last edited by Kappu1; 02-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kappu1 View Post
    Use Marsh Flats instead of Terramorphic Expanse so the mana comes into play untaped. O-Ring, Pacifism and any other enchantment to control a creature is horrible because of Maelstom Pulse and your out of your mind for cutting DOJ since you don't run creatures. You should be running Flashfreeze in the mainboard since you have almost no removal in it other than enchantmeents. Spell Pierce are you serious that card is terrible. The new Jace should be in there if you can get it because the 0 ability is retarded good and makes your control life so much easier when you want to get the cards you need. Now that I posted all this crap I will show you what I might run.

34 - Spells
    4 x archive trap
    4 x path to exile
    4 x mind funeral
    4 x howling mine
    3 x font of mythos
    3 x day of judgement
    2 x twincast same
    4 x Flashfreeze
    2 X Angelsong
    4x Negate

26 Land
    4 X Marsh Flats
    4 x Creeping Tar Pit
    4 x Reliquary Tower
    3 x glacial fortress
    3 x swamp

And after that I presonally think you need more fog effects and to get at least 3 Jaces in there I have been play testing with him and he is a house.
    5 x island
    3 x plains
    safe passage prevents any damage, not only combat damage. I am running flashfreezes, four of them. The terramorphic expanse are already out, i use theme when i play casual, reason i do not have doj in there, cause of my budget. i do now have a playset of marsh flats, got one off of one of my fellow magic players. Angelsong i through back in there, and i do not like the new jace. He only has what 3 counters. one card stops him, lightning bolt. I would rather have time warps in there intead of the new jace. I would also have some type of countering in there, i ran it at fnm and place 6th out of 30 some people. This deck is far from being polished. but i am open for feedback. Yeah, spell pierce is horrible. i thought it said counter target spell, not noncreature spell. I took it out right away. I try to stay away from putting more than 24 lands in the deck. I'm retooling the deck this week and i happen to get friday off again from work this week and plan on going to fnm again. I like ponder over jace. it costs 1 blue and you look at the top three cards, and put them back in any order, than you may shuffle your library, than draw a card. Almost the same thing as jace's brainstorm ability, and the card costs three less. I don't, know, but i like the old jace better. Thats just my own opinion.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

The new Jace is way better than the old one especially when you drop him give him the +2 and put him well outta bolt range. Not to mention you don't use the new Jace for card draw you use him to get exactly what you want when you want it. Brainstorm then put back cards you want later and keep the one you want now.
    He is a better card but the old Jace is still good as well, but I would rather have the new one (but not at the 55 dollar price tag). I know that Ponder cost less but you know that you have 4 places for removal open up by running the new Jace maybe use Essence Scatter or run a few mountains and run Swerve or Double Negative just an idea Double Negative totally dominates Jund or even better put in 4 Spreading Seas which would really kill some of the decks out there using non-basic land. Another guy at my Meta runs one Iowna a little red and some Dragon Fodder and can get a turn 3 Iowna which is pretty silly and it nice late game for him, plus if you are playing a mono colored deck you can pretty much kill all there plays once it goes off.

Anyhow just my two cents, but the new Jace used for what it is gives you more slots for removal or mill cards.

The new Jace is way better than the old one especially when you drop him give him the +2 and put him well outta bolt range. Not to mention you don't use the new Jace for card draw you use him to get exactly what you want when you want it. Brainstorm then put back cards you want later and keep the one you want now.
    He is a better card but the old Jace is still good as well, but I would rather have the new one (but not at the 55 dollar price tag). I know that Ponder cost less but you know that you have 4 places for removal open up by running the new Jace maybe use Essence Scatter or run a few mountains and run Swerve or Double Negative just an idea Double Negative totally dominates Jund or even better put in 4 Spreading Seas which would really kill some of the decks out there using non-basic land. Another guy at my Meta runs one Iowna a little red and some Dragon Fodder and can get a turn 3 Iowna which is pretty silly and it nice late game for him, plus if you are playing a mono colored deck you can pretty much kill all there plays once it goes off.

Anyhow just my two cents, but the new Jace used for what it is gives you more slots for removal or mill cards.
    I believe tho, that the abilities of a planeswalker is used as a sorcery, therefor, someone can bolt it before the plus 2 ability triggers...but he is a force to be reckoned with. I like your idea of adding red into the deck, i love swerve. Thank you for your advice

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Your correct that it is at sorcery but when he enters the battlefield they can't just bolt him once he resolves they can say I choose to bolt you redirecting to Jace and you can then respond by giving him the +2 ability and that will resolve first and give him +5 clearing him from the bolt so they would have to use 2 burns to kill him.

This is how I have seen it happen even with the old Jace. Sorcery can be used during your first main phase or your second main phase so they either have to bolt him and you get add counters in response or you add counters and they bolt him and he is still alive.

I like the card and it just opens up more options for you.

Not to mention 2 booster boxes yeilded me 3 Jaces

Your correct that it is at sorcery but when he enters the battlefield they can't just bolt him once he resolves they can say I choose to bolt you redirecting to Jace and you can then respond by giving him the +2 ability and that will resolve first and give him +5 clearing him from the bolt so they would have to use 2 burns to kill him.

This is how I have seen it happen even with the old Jace. Sorcery can be used during your first main phase or your second main phase so they either have to bolt him and you get add counters in response or you add counters and they bolt him and he is still alive.

I like the card and it just opens up more options for you.

Not to mention 2 booster boxes yeilded me 3 Jaces
    wow! i guy got three boxes and didn't get 1. and yes, i thought that since the ab lility is used as a sorcery, you can use instants b4 it. Yes, now i would love jace in the deck. I found out tho, that this deck isn't that great tho, i might have to come up with a new one. or somehow get more money to buy better cards or something. I went to fnm today and it did not work at all. Maybe because the one i went to was extended.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Guy lastnight at FNM opened a Fat Pack and pulled 2 Jaces so my local game store has had 3 Fatties that did that now