+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Building my 1st deck

not quite. magic 2010 is a core set. as such it is not part of any block but is included alongside the current 2 blocks in addition:

block 1:

shards of alara
    conflux
    alara reborn

block 2:

zendikar
    worldwake
    xy

coreset:

magic 2010

now when the set after xy comes out it will be the first in a new block (not sure when the next core set is released so that might come out befor then but dont worry about that now). once the first set of the new block is out standard will look like this:

block 1:

zendikar
    worldwake
    xy

block 2:

abc

coreset:

magic 2010

when the next coreset is released it will replace the old coreset. it wont change any of the block cards only replace the last coreset. so when magic 2011 comes out the above standard would change to:

block 1:

zendikar
    worldwake
    xy

block 2:

abc

coreset:

magic 2011.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Completly understand now Thanks Seba

Feel like such a noob!

seba1983 Guest

dont worry about that. when your new to something its your privalage not to understand stuff ^^. also its your privalage to ask when you dont .

i remember when i first started ... ohh my were my deck awful.

magic is one of the more complex trading card games. there are a few that are even mroe complicated when you get started but not very many ... i would say magic is in the top 5. especialy since there are many layers of complicated. you will discover new stuff to learn all the time. even i still find new angels from wich to see things both on the rules and the strategie level and i have been playing for 14 years. dont let that worry you though. you dont need to know everything and being able to uncover new layers even after years is one of the big strong points of magic. makes sure it never gets boring

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Ok leaning towards a R/W deck I think now depending on what planeswalkers are available.......... Or would like Red Black need something that has removal in it......R/W/G was fun I think I just needed to be more aggressive with it maybe.

I played a R/W/G Deck tonight was fun I played 4 rounds lost 3 and won 1

All matches where 2-1 except for the last game which was a mill deck and I just sat and cried.....

First card Arid Mesa HELLO to Archive Trap boom to a Twin Cast and bye bye 26 cards in my deck QQ go home and cry.

I also have a question Arid Mesa when you serch for a land it dosn't say Basic so is it possible to get another fetch (I know you wouldn't want in certain situations) or non-basic land card?
    Last edited by Kappu1; 12-04-2009 at 10:20 PM.

seba1983 Guest

nice to hear that you actualy won a match in your first tournament. many new players dont ^^

as for your question. arid mesa does not need you to fetch a basic land. it does however needs the land you fetch to be a plains or mountain card. in standard only basic lands fullfill this requirement. in extended you have Sacred Foundry and in legacy you have Plateau. there are a few other lands that have basic land types but most are not that good. a basic land type is plains, island, swamp, mountain or forest. non-basic lands can have basic land types. this does not make them basic lands however.

as for the decks your interested in R/W is the most successful of the three you mentioned if your talking about an agro build. there also is a r/w control build. r/w/g is the next most successful of the three. pure r/b is not being played a lot despite numerous fantastic cards such as terminate, blightning, bituminus blast and lightning bolt. the reason i think is that the amazing quality of cards for r/b pretty much ends there. there are several very good cards like hypnotic specter but non that can match the additional options you have when you add green to the r/b. bloodbraid elf, sprouting thrinax, mealstrom pulse, broodmate dragon putrid leach and garruk stand in no comparrision to the choices you have in a deck that is only r/b. on the other hand what you end up with by adding green is the currently most successful dekc of them all jund.

you said you want removal ? jund has removal against just about anything ^^. terminate, lightning bolt, bitumnus blast for creatures and maelstrom pulse for anything else includeing creatures and even planeswalker.

also i think the deck is fun to play. cascade is good fun, creature tokens from the dragon, thrinax and garruk is fun. bligtning is a card that any opponent hates to see. just an all round very good deck.

mealstrom pulse are pretty expensive but they are also very very good. the mana base can be pretty costy with maigc 2010 duals and zendikar fetches but you dont need all of them to begin with and can easyly upgrade in steps here. also you can start off by playing only 2 pulse and still have a very solid deck.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Just out of curiousness when M2011 comes out is the entire coreset of M10 gone? All cards or just certain ones. I ask because building a deck may be pricey so I wouldn't want to blow alot of cash if I'm only going to use the cards a few months and then need to find new 15 dollar cards.

I guess what Im getting at are there any cards I should avoid because they will be un-playable in standard soon?
    Last edited by Kappu1; 12-05-2009 at 06:17 AM.

seba1983 Guest

^^ this is, for me personaly, the elemental flaw of standart. yes the entire core set rotates. the M10 duals will probably not be in M11 also but we can say yet. also the planeswalker from M10 might not be reprinted.

if your afraid that a lot of cards could rotate out of your deck too soon, jund is probably not a good choice. the only rares jund plays that are from zendikar are g/b-fetch and oran-rief, the vastwood. boordmate and pulse are from alara so they rotate out some time endo of next year the rest is from M10 ...

the aggressive R/W deck on the other hand could be a much better choice. the only rare that about every deck runs that is not from zendikar is ranger of eos (alara) and they dont cost that much. after rotation the R/W deck might not be so good any more because of new decks that emerge etc. but the rares, especialy the fetchlands will still be very good in any deck that runs the colors.

the fetchlands are a well worth investment anyhow. they will not drop in price even when they move out of standard because they will be played in all other formats including legacy.

the rotation thing is also what i like about legacy. decks cost more to begin with but they dont rotate because legacy does not have a rotation just new sets that are added.

with the R/W deck you will need 12 fetches eventualy. that is also a good start to any deck playing any of the colors for legacy. so by the time zendikar leaves standard you could move into legacy. sure you will still need the old dual lands, force of will and tarmogoyf perhaps but fetches are always a good start.

also once you have the old duals, fetches, force and tarmogoyf you can build most legacy decks on a very small budget ... its pretty much a one-time investment.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I've looked for a few R/W decks but all seem to be Jund R/W/G I don't mind droping a few bucks on fetch lands since I can always trade them off or as you said start legacy later.

Any helpful advice on a R/W deck is appriciated.

I found this (what is a good substitute for Baneslayers) and would you put some Blightning into this deck? And is there a better sub for Marsh Flats maybe a W/R fetch instead of a W/B?

Land - 24
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Mountain
    6 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Teetering Peaks

Creature - 25
    3 Elite Vanguard
    2 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Guide
    1 Hellspark Elemental
    3 Kor Skyfisher
    4 Plated Geopede
    4 Ranger of Eos
    4 Steppe Lynx

Spell - 11
    3 Burst Lightning
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Path to Exile

Sideboard - 15
    3 Baneslayer Angel
    3 Celestial Purge
    3 Goblin Ruinblaster
    3 Harm's Way
    3 Manabarbs

seba1983 Guest

the marsh flats are only in there because of the landfall ... the deck also plays the arid mesa already ^^

as for the baneslayer ... not realy nothing compares to it at the moment but when on a budged you can just replace him with other sidebord stuff ... oblivion ring vs planeswalker etc. for instance.

also the numbers on the creatures can be adjusted a little here and there to suite your taste.

here is a link to several list so you can get a better overwie of what ou can change arround:

R/W Aggro Decks | DeckCheck.net - Providing 'outside assistance' since 2004

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Okay this is the build I decided on made a few changes to get a few Planeswalkers in the deck now the decision is I can get 4 Planeswalkers in but which ones should I use (need advice) Ajani Vengeant/Goldmane or Chandra Ablaze/Nalaar? Also some advice on side board cards too.

3 Elite Vanguard
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Kor Skyfisher
    4 Plated Geopede
    4 Ranger of Eos
    4 Steppe Lynx

4 Path to Exile
    2 Burst Lightning
    4 Lightning Bolt

4 Arid Mesa
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Mountain
    6 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Teetering Peaks

seba1983 Guest

if you realy want to run a planeswalker Ajani Vengeant is awsome. elsbeth is also quite good with its constant stream of creatures pieling onto your board. i dont relay like either chandra feeling they are both too slow and cumbersom but that might be a personal preferance. goldmane might be ok since you playing a pretty weeny deck and he was good in white weeny an tokens decks befor ... at the end of the day i personaly would go with Ajani Vengeant all of his abiilitys are awsome and all work well against a diffrent spread of decks so i feel hes the most flexible one and that is something i cherrish.

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I was looking at Chandra because she came in with only two rounds to get to her best abilities.

Chandra Ablaze by the time you get her into the game hopefully you have used some red spells and then you can dig them out in two turns and hopefully bring your opponent down quicker or at least that was my thinking behind it

So I decided to go with 2 of each of the Ajani's that way I would either be destroying land or putting up a decent sized creature and with Landfall that is in the deck hopefully killing them quickly.

Chandra was a second pick I may sideboard her and sub it in to see if it's useful.

Only draw back is I'm just getting into the game and it's pretty expensive for a first deck