+ Reply to Thread
    Brad is offline Uncommon

Default magic the gathering standard red white landfall deck

Looking for a magic standard landfall deck red/white

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: magic the gathering standard red white landfall deck

the best 2 landfall cards in standard i can think of are Step Lynx and Plated Geopead. both are fast creatures that have potential to become huge. since both already send you in an aggressive direction Zektar Shrine Expedition could well be worth it. the lifegain expedition will be no good in such a deck. the 4/4 that gains flying is too slow for 5 mana. the angel that produces bird tokens is not realy fast so i would not advise you to run him either. thats all the landfall cards there are in red and white.

so my advice would be build a red white weeny deck with some burn spells, path to exile etc. add the 3 landfall cards and 12, yes 12 fetchlands. without these all of the landfall cards will not be good. you definatly want the red-white fetchland but you also want the red-blue and the white-black one because you need them to trigger landfall.

with the fetches the lynx is a 4/5 for W the geoped is a 5/5 for 1R and the expedition can be triggered on turn 4.

other cards that would fit into this deck are in my oppinion:

lightning bolt
    path to exile
    goblin guide
    elite vanguard
    goblin bushwacker
    kor-skyfisher (nice synergie with the bushwacker and teh card bellow)

for some more midgame pressure i would sudgest running ranger of eos.

some additional burn could be nice.

there is a pretty successful deck like this already out there known as boros-bushwacker. it does not play the expeditions but that is the weekest of the three playable landfall cards anyway.

Twanos is offline Master Mason

I would recommend something like this...

Planeswalker: 5
    3 Ajani Vengeant
    2 Chandra Nalaar

Creatures: 19
    4 Plated Geopead
    4 Step Lynx
    4 Knight of the White Orchid
    4 Kor Cartographer
    3 Baneslayer Angel

Spells & Utility: 8
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Path to Exile
    4 Expedition Map

Land: 24
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Mountain
    9 Plains

You'll notice on here that I did not include any cards in the 3 casting cost slot. I did this for 2 reasons. 1) With your Orchid you will often be skipping your 3 drop slot and going straight to 4. 2) for games you don't drop Orchid you will likely need to burn/path something out of your way on turn 3 to give your lynx and/or plated a free access swing at the opponent.

The reason for the Ajani and Chandra is consistent and recurring creature removal and they take the heat off of you and your creatures a bit as you opponent can't afford for either of them to build up.

I also included 4 Maps so you can fetch your fetchlands. This helps reinforce your ability to get the correct colors as well as make sure on most turns you are having 2-3 land enter play not 1.

Also don't be reluctant under the right circumstances to Path your own guy for the extra land drop (like on a cartographer since after he hits play he's not that useful.)

I see it playing out like this...
    T1 - Plains, lynx
    T2 - Fetchland - plains, Orchid, plains, attack for 6
    T3 - Fetchland - Mountain, Cartographer, plains attack for 8
    T4 - Baneslayer / Ajani / Land+Attack / Bolts / Mountain+Chandra / Map = fetchland + land +attack

By turn 4-5 you can easily win and have only had to play 3 lands you drew even though you will have 4-6 in play.

rkho is offline Common

I would not recommend that list, especially since it's not geared to win on turn four. Also, where do I begin? On your turn two, you cannot fetch a Plains with Knight of the White Orchid since your opponent will be -at most- at two lands as well.

I've been winning Modo 8-mans consistently with this:

Boros Deck Wins

Land - 24
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Mountain
    6 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Teetering Peaks

Creature - 25
    3 Elite Vanguard
    2 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Guide
    1 Hellspark Elemental
    3 Kor Skyfisher
    4 Plated Geopede
    4 Ranger of Eos
    4 Steppe Lynx

Spell - 11
    3 Burst Lightning
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Path to Exile

Sideboard - 15
    3 Baneslayer Angel
    3 Celestial Purge
    3 Goblin Ruinblaster
    3 Harm's Way
    3 Manabarbs

This is a MUCH more consistent list than the one the above poster gave you. It is much more explosive than the above one.

Turn one: Plains, Steppe Lynx
    Turn two: Scalding Tarn, Mountain, swing for four, Plated Geopede
    Turn three: Steppe Lynx, Arid Mesa, Mountain, Kicked Goblin Bushwhacker, swing for eighteen.

A more realistic scenario:

Turn one: Plains, Steppe Lynx
    Turn two: Scalding Tarn, mountain, swing for four, Plated Geopede
    Turn three: Teetering Peaks targeting one creature, swing for seven, Kor Skyfisher returning Teetering Peaks.
    Turn four: Teetering Peaks targeting Kor Skyfisher, swing for nine (lethal).

Skyfisher returns everything. Ranger of Eos, Goblin Bushwhacker, Teetering Peaks, or any other permanent you can think of.

How can you advocate running Knight of the White Orchid but not Ranger? The deck runs out of gas so easily that Ranger of Eos is its godsend. Ranger of Eos is literally Mulldrifter on crack.

Twanos is offline Master Mason

I agree you list is much better, I was just throwing off a list from the top of my head and you are right about the orchid.

rkho is offline Common

Orchid seems pretty bad. I'm actually not 100% set on the Hellspark Elemental, since it punts the mirror which is about 30% of the field these days.