+ Reply to Thread
    Warrior is offline Uncommon

Default counterspell deck mtg

Is there deck based on counterspells in magic?

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: counterspell deck mtg

not realy based on counter spells. more useing a lot of counterspells as a tool to acomplish the general strategy.

there are numerous decks that run counterspells. about half the decks in legacy do und close to 90% in vintage.

the deck that comes closest to a "counterspell deck" would be mono-blue control in my oppinion. but any draw-go typ of deck typcaly runs lots of counters.

what format do you want to build such a deck for ?

Twanos is offline Master Mason

I have run several "counter" decks in tourny's over the years. My favorite was named "Mommy May I?" and had a combo which would auto counter anything you tried to cast.

seba1983 Guest

erayo + arcane laboratry ?

forbid + 2x squee + arcane laboratry ?

isochrone scepter + arcane laboratry ?

how come i alsways end with arcane laboratry ?

Decree of Silence + Power Conduit

I use counters then on my Stalking Stones which was the only creature in the deck.

If they somehow managed to save up enough to cast 4 spells in 1 turn I just bounce the decree back to my hand, and recast it the next turn. I normally got it out on turn 4-5.

Though tossing in an arcane lab would put it on put lockdown I wanted the extra counters to pump the stones.

seba1983 Guest

ahh i see. was that a casual deck or did you actualy play it in tournament ?

to get back a bit on topic, some of my favourite counter decks from past type 2 earas are the tron-decks from timespiral and the draw-go decks from invasion.

I used it in alot of tourney's and it did quite well. It was Standard at the time.

Spells: 32
    3 Chain of Vapor
    3 Decree of Silence
    2 Last Word
    4 Mana Leak
    4 Oblivion Stone
    2 Power Conduit
    4 Rewind
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    2 Trade Routes
    4 Vex

Lands: 28
    4 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 Cloudpost
    13 Island
    4 Seat of the Synod
    3 Stalking Stones

SIDEBOARD
    3 Annul
    3 March of the Machines
    4 Stifle
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Wall of Spears

The land count at first look is very high but when you consider that 1) I could not afford to miss a land drop ever!! 2) 7 of my lands are creatures and are subject to being killed 3) I cycle thru alot of lands with trade routes getting to more clouds and 4) the seats almost always got pitched to Thirst, it's not as over kill as you would normally have thought.

Also helping me at the time was that there were alot of combo decks which are super vulnerable to counters.

rkho is offline Common

I'm surprised you dodged Affinity and Tooth and Nail at the time. I'm assuming by "tournaments" you meant the local FNMs and small events?

seba1983 Guest

you'd be suprised how good thinking outside the box can turn out to be once you sit down and play with what you brewed.

a good example would be worlds 2001 oppo-lock was the deck and no one had r/b propaly on the radar. no one but the latter world champion.

if someone tells me you cant play that deck because thats not whats beeing played i usualy just smile and win ...

metqagame is a very important factor but there is always home for a homebrew to go all the way, like the 4th spot for a rookie with that homebrew dark-bant deck at a pro tour this year ...