+ Reply to Thread
    Mornings_Requiem is offline Very Common

Default Help Me - 1st Deck - Blue/White

Hi, I'm making my first deck after playing premade duel of the plains walkers decks. I've been working on it for awhile but I have to admit, I have little idea of what I am doing.

Its blue/white (not a good starting color I know). Control/life gain.. with angels?. I seem to have fixed its mana problems with some fetch lands but it still lacks synergy. I have a lot of different kinds of creatures and this worrys me. I am trying to keep it standard and I have already spent a lot on it so I hope not to have to change everything. Most of its experience comes from versing a vampire deck where it wins 1/4 of the time.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Plainswalkers
    1 x Elspeth, Knight Errant
    1 x Jace Beleren
    1 x Ajani Goldmane

Creatures
    2 x Baneslayer Angel
    2 x Shepherd of the lost
    1 x Emeria Angel
    4 x Ajani's Pridemate
    2 x Augury owl
    1 x Air servant
    1 x Wall of frost
    1 x Wall of denial
    2 x White knight
    1 x Soul's Attendant
    1 x Kor sacrificer

Artifacts

1 x Crystal ball
    1x Amulet of Vigor
    1 x Kraken's Eye

Enchantments
    2 x Luminarch ascension
    2 x Mind control
    1 x Leyline of anticipation
    2 x Adjani's mantra

Sorcery
    1 x Distortion strike
    2 x Sleep
    1 x Solemn offering
    1 x Day of judgment

Instants
    1x Rest for the weary
    1x Safe passage
    2x Jace's ingenuity
    2x Negate
    2x Cancel
    1 x Mindbreaker trap
    1 x Dimish

Lands
    3x Sejiri Refuge
    3x Glacial Fortress
    5x Island
    5x Plain

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Help Me - 1st Deck - Blue/White

First thing I can say right off - decrease your spells and increase your lands. A good guideline is 40% of your deck should be land - so for a standard 60 card deck, you should have 36 spells and 24 lands.

Second: Life gain that does nothing but gain life is bad. Congregate is pretty much the only good one that comes to mind, because it can easily gain upwards of 12+ life even in a two-player game, let alone multiplayer. On the other hand, cards like Rest for the Weary, Kraken's Eye and Ajani's Mantra are always terrible.

Finally, you have far too many random one-ofs. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a hardcore tournament player who says that your deck needs to be just a collection of nine different four-ofs, cause let's face it, that's very boring. However, a lot of your cards are only good in cerain situations. Take, for example, Soul's Attendant. That card is at its best when you drop it early in the game. Draw it on turn five or six, and it's next to useless. However, only having one copy, you're unlikely to draw it early game, when you need it. Up the copies to 4 and your chances of drawing it when it's relevant go up drastically. Similarly, a card like Day of Judgment. Day of Judgment is very helpful. So helpful, in fact, that you're likely to use it more than once in a game. Also, it's only useful in certain situations, like Attendant. Namely, when you're being swarmed by guys without a decent defence. Think of it, your opponent's got four or five guys out there while you're stuck on nothing but an Owl and an Attendant to chump block two attackers, then you're screwed. Day of Judgment, bam, suddenly you're in a much happier position. Upping the copies to four both lets you draw it when you need it, and gives you the ability to use it multiple times, which you likely will.

So basically:
    1. Stick in a lot more lands.
    2. Chuck out the terrible cards.
    3. Up the amounts of key cards.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Thanks for the advice. I guess the life gain isn't really going anywhere as you said so Ill cut that back for other cards. Thanks for the advice, Ill go consider what you said.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

I do like me some life gain (trust me, from personal experience, resolving a Storm Herd on 8.5million life feels goooooood), but to be worth it, it needs one of two qualities:
    1. It needs to do something other than gain life; or
    2. It needs to gain a lot of life for the initial investment.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

I took out

1x Deminish
    1x Negate
    1x Luminarch ascension (thinking about removing the other one too)
    1x Kraken's eye
    1x Distortion strike

1x Ajani's pridemate
    1x Souls Attendant
    1x Augury owl

I added in an extra day of judgement and enough lands (plains and islands) to fill the spaces. (Making it 23).
    I dont really know what else to do.

The life gain seems to be working pretty well with the pridemates but after that I lose alot of steam. The hope is for them to hold it till I can get my angels out, whilst countering the other side's creatures.