+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from the UK

Bassman is offline Very Common

Default Hi from the UK

I would normally be saying Hi from my PS3 browser but figured something a bit more comprehensive was called for so resorted to my PC...

I am a retired (took early retirement) computer programmer doing stuff on mainframes and PC's. I have been programming since 1972. I gave up in 2006 when I left. I have done HTML (self taught) and created a GT2/GT3 website (now gone unfortunately). I can still do whatever I need in Excel and would not take long to get back up to speed with Access.

Well, as the username implies my main musical instrument is the bass guitar, though I know my way around a normal guitar and can hold a few chords down on a keyboard.

I collect diecast models. Mostly buses (released by EFE, CMNL or Corgi in the UK) and modern trucks, released in the UK by Corgi. I do have a fair collection of Hong Kong Buses (from the same companies as above). I do have a few large scale cars as well.

I "collect" plastic kits (really ought to make some of them!). Mostly Cars, Trucks and Buses/Coaches though i tend to buy a model that interests me.

I am into games (console and handhelds only) and have all the current generation of consoles and a number from previous generations (I do have a slim PS2 from each major region PAL, NTSC/J and NTSC/U/C).

I also collect Scalextric (and a few other) slot cars (not covered here admittedly) and have probably have around 75 of them. The majority of them I would not actually race, but have no worries about taking them out of their boxes to give them a brief run.

Model trains... I have bought a few over the years but nothing serious. I have one of the GG1 (I think) Electric Locomotives which can pull an impressive amount of carriages/freight wagons. I also have a couple of the impressive Rivarossi American Locomotives... an HO UP Big Boy 4-8-8-2 and an HO 4-8-8-2 Cab Forward. The most interesting though, is the Hornby (UK manufacturer) Mallard Steam Locomotive. This amazing bit of kit has a miniature electrically heated boiler and runs on real steam. It is in OO scale. I think they gave up on the idea after releasing a few locomotives due to the cost of buying them. maybe they were just not profitable.

I have a fairly large collection of boxed games and magazine games as I used to subscribe to Strategy and Tactics and UK (I think) magazine called the Wargamer each issue coming with a game. I have "normal" games as well, the last being a game called Formula D a car racing board game. I also bought a couple of expansion track packs.

I do "occasionally" get time to listen to music (wide tastes) watch movies (DVD or Hi-Def) and read books.

That just about sums it up I think!

gaminger is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Hi from the UK

Hi and welcome to the site