+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keyword Time!

Church is offline Common

Default Keyword Time!

Alright so i plan on making a block with Magic Set Editor (I know its insane -_-)

I have a couple ideas of what i want to do for my plane
    I havent figured out a name yet but its going to be something along the lines of Lorwyn (meaning a lot of tribal things) thats being attacked by a force of insectoid artifacts

(Story isn't that developed, any help would be great)

So i've been thinking of a couple key words i could do:

Clockwork (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a clockwork counter on this permanent)
    This will mainly be used with artifacts. The beauty of the keyword is that its so blank i can do anything with it Ex: This creature gets +1/+1 for each clockwork counter on it.

Cluster (Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may attatch this creature to the attacking creature as though it were an equipment. The equipped creature gets +x/+Y where x is its power and y is its toughness. If the equipped creature is destroyed when this is attached, sacrifice this creature)
    Basically adding your smaller creatures to a bigger creature to buff it up.

Haze ((Still working on a better name for this)) (Whenever this creature enters combat, remove all power and toughness modifiers from the creatures in combat until end of turn)

Legion X (As long as you control another X creature, this creature gets a bonus)
    This would be similar to metal craft. Ex: Legion Knight

Beserk X (When this creature attacks, it gets +X/+X and is indestructible until end of turn. At end of turn, sacrifice this creature)

Clan Smash (When this creature attacks, you may sacrifice X creatures that share a creature type with this creature. This creature gets +X/+X where X is the amount of creatures sacrificed)

Ambush (When you are assigning blockers, you may play this card for its ambush cost. Sacrifice it at end of turn.)

I don't plan on using all of these. These are just a few ideas i could go with.

Comments and advice please

k thnx bai

--Church

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Keyword Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Church
    Alright so i plan on making a block with Magic Set Editor (I know its insane -_-)
    Insane? Are you kidding? I've made hundreds of them.

...okay, not literally hundreds, but you know, lots.
    Clockwork (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a clockwork counter on this permanent)
    This will mainly be used with artifacts. The beauty of the keyword is that its so blank i can do anything with it Ex: This creature gets +1/+1 for each clockwork counter on it.
    What you see as the "beauty" of it, I see as the biggest problem. It's got the "kicker problem" - that is, it's too broad. It lacks any real definition.

Cluster (Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may attatch this creature to the attacking creature as though it were an equipment. The equipped creature gets +x/+Y where x is its power and y is its toughness. If the equipped creature is destroyed when this is attached, sacrifice this creature)
    Basically adding your smaller creatures to a bigger creature to buff it up.
    The rules issues with this are far too numerous to name. Not to mention it can't possibly go on common, which is what you really want to look for with keyword themes.

Haze ((Still working on a better name for this)) (Whenever this creature enters combat, remove all power and toughness modifiers from the creatures in combat until end of turn)
    Again, this has rules issues surrounding it. Plus it doesn't really seem like the kind of thing you can put on multiple creatures - if anything, it's a one-of card.

Legion X (As long as you control another X creature, this creature gets a bonus)
    This would be similar to metal craft. Ex: Legion Knight
    This one works, though as an ability word rather than a keyword.

Beserk X (When this creature attacks, it gets +X/+X and is indestructible until end of turn. At end of turn, sacrifice this creature)
    This one's fringe, though it seems more like the sort of thing that'd go on one or two cards rather than act as a keyword.

Clan Smash (When this creature attacks, you may sacrifice X creatures that share a creature type with this creature. This creature gets +X/+X where X is the amount of creatures sacrificed)
    Again, this is a single card, not a keyword.

Ambush (When you are assigning blockers, you may play this card for its ambush cost. Sacrifice it at end of turn.)
    I don't see why you couldn't just use flash for this.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Church is offline Common

Thanks for the criticisms! They'll definately be taken into account ^^

Uhmm as far as Ambush goes, the cost for Ambush can be taken at a lower cost.

Flash would be paying the normal cost for a creature at any time
    Ambush would be more of a "flash blocker" like getting 7/7 blocker for 3 (although it would be sacrificed at end of turn)
    Basically this means that if you're getting attacked by a Sun Titan or something and you dont have a whole lot of resources avaiable, you slap down a nice blocker for one turn as a reduced cost, rather than playing a flash card for full price.
    And as stated before, you can't play it unless you're assigning blockers which means that you can't pop it to attack or somethign along those lines

I know it's different, but "different" isn't enough. Does it really add enough to the game to be worth the additional keyword?
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Church is offline Common

Well argued. I'll keep it on the table in any case. Do you have any suggestions?

Not at this point, but legion does seem to be your best option so far.
    Fluttershy is best pony.