+ Reply to Thread
    JRock447 is offline Very Common

Default Can you use redirect on spells that don't target like diabolic tutor?

I was playing against a friend that played with a deck with redirect in it.

There were several times where we couldn't agree on how redirect works.

One example is he tried to redirect a diabolic tutor. I argued that since diabolic tutor doesn't target anything, he couldn't change the spell. He argued that he could choose himself for the spell and the "you" in the card text would refer to him.

Another example is when I played an oblivion ring. He argued he could choose a new permanent to exile. I argued that it was a permanent with a ETB ability and so it couldn't be redirected.

Could you explain how redirect works?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Can you use redirect on spells that don't target like diabolic tutor?

You are right in both situations. Diabolic Tutor has no targets - "you" means ÿou", as in the controller of Diabolic Tutor. This isn't a target, so Redirect can't affect it.

As for Oblivion Ring, the Ring as a spell on the stack doesn't target anything. It resolves, comes into play, and then a triggered ability goes on the stack, and THAT targets something (fun fact, this is why Oblivion Ring can nuke Emrakul). This is an ability, not a spell, so Redirect can't change it.
    Fluttershy is best pony.