+ Reply to Thread
    Footprint is offline Uncommon

Default mtg rules what happens if I play giant growth on creature but the creature gets des

what happens if I play giant growth on creature but the creature gets destroyed

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: mtg rules what happens if I play giant growth on creature but the creature gets d

Your Giant Growth is countered since its only target isn't there any more.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Footprint is offline Uncommon

Default Re: mtg rules what happens if I play giant growth on creature but the creature gets d

if i have another creature cant i change target to that one instead

Nope. You choose the target as you cast Giant Growth. If the creature is destroyed before Growth resolves, well, too bad for you.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

tommy is offline Uncommon

isnt there like a stack where the creature gets destroyed before the giant growth has resolved so since it hasnt resolved yet when it comes out of the stack cant he choose different target?

That's not quite how the stack works.

1. He casts Giant Growth, and chooses its target. Giant Growth is on the stack.
    2. His opponent responds with, say, Doom Blade, targeting the same creature. Doom Blade is on the stack on top of Giant Growth.
    3. Assuming no one does anything else, Doom Blade resolves and destroys the creature.
    4. Giant Growth tries to resolve, sees that its only target is illegal, and is countered.
    Fluttershy is best pony.